Wikiposts

Work culture

Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:16 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work culture

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
I work for a very large company in the UK. My experience of the Canadian office is that they do not want to be involved in anything global or outside Canada. Any initiatives or problems raised by the UK office, the response is "we're fine, butt out" or "things work differently in Canada, we have our ways, keep out of it". Very resistant to change. Everybody in my department in that office followed the same career path, too. None of them seem to have studied of worked abroad, in vast contrast to our office here.
But they are right. Things do work differently in Canada. Resistance to change is a human condition, not a national one. Many newbies seem to translate "different" as "not as good as" but that is making a value judgement based on familiarity, not quality.

If people are resistant to change it is because you have failed to persuade them that what you are changing to is better than what you are changing from. A Brit is not going to change a Canadian corporate culture if they have not put the time and effort into understanding what is done and why it is done. Things than seem wrong or out of place at first start to make sense when you begin to understand the cultural context.

I have yet to meet a Canadian who is not open to change if you can show them how to make more money for less effort. I have not met many who are open to change just because that is how it is done in the UK.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:22 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
But they are right. Things do work differently in Canada. Resistance to change is a human condition, not a national one. Many newbies seem to translate "different" as "not as good as" but that is making a value judgement based on familiarity, not quality.

If people are resistant to change it is because you have failed to persuade them that what you are changing to is better than what you are changing from. A Brit is not going to change a Canadian corporate culture if they have not put the time and effort into understanding what is done and why it is done. Things than seem wrong or out of place at first start to make sense when you begin to understand the cultural context.

I have yet to meet a Canadian who is not open to change if you can show them how to make more money for less effort. I have not met many who are open to change just because that is how it is done in the UK.
I think this sums it up completely in my experience too. Different doesn't always mean worse or inferior.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 1:38 pm
Banned

Jack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to all

But they are right. Things do work differently in Canada. Resistance to change is a human condition, not a national one.
No it's a social condition.

Many newbies seem to translate "different" as "not as good as" but that is making a value judgement based on familiarity, not quality.
Not necessarily, in education (ages 11+) and in my area of IT, British work practices are recognised as being generally better.

If people are resistant to change it is because you have failed to persuade them that what you are changing to is better than what you are changing from.
You're failing to take account the job protectionism that almost all Canadians suffer from. Don't rock the boat is the order of the day.

Things than seem wrong or out of place at first start to make sense when you begin to understand the cultural context.
Examples ?

Depends on what area you work in I guess. In areas like construction then yeah it makes sense, there's different laws to comply with and work practices adapt accordingly.

In IT for examples a lot of Canadian companies struggle with things like PCI compliance (a set of standards you adhere to if you want to process card based payments online). This is because it requires a stricter work ethic. The UK workplace adapts because it's more open and basically more of a free for all. In Canada everyone just waits for the manager to deliver the law and they nod in agreement, no one wants to tip the applecart.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 2:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I think this sums it up completely in my experience too. Different doesn't always mean worse or inferior.
It's worse and inferior here.

You can measure that successfully by the productivity.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Not the UK way we're talking about but the global way.

We are talking about getting involved and sharing ideas. We have had more luck with the US, UAE, Brazil, Turkey than with Canada
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge
The managers like to keep an eye on the worker bees here, teleworking's not usually an option even when it's more practical.
I liked your overall description and the statement above the most.

I always have or had the impression that managers in Canada seem to value employees more by "are they on time", "are they at their desk", rather than "do they get the desired results".

Overall I had the experience that the UK is more results oriented.