Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work in Canada???

Work in Canada???

Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

paris545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Work in Canada???

Hi All, Anyone out there who knows anything about getting work in Canada?? My wife and I qualify for the points needed for the application process for skilled worker class and have nearly everything needed to apply. We both are graduates have experience and necessary funds. Both work in Youth Education -My Wife as a Connexions Personal Advisor (youthworker) and me as a manager of youth education and a registered training and development charity. Wife aged 24 me 33, BA 2:1 Community Education, Diploma Youth & Community work 10 years experience, 5yrs management, excellent refs, CAN TEACH / TRAIN and have TEFL Certificates? we really would like to get out sooner than later and are aware the apllication process takes ages. Anyone have any contacts in these fields?? Tried posting resume on Monster for 4 months but to no avail. Are we highly unlikely to get the chance of work by trying to get a Canadian organisation to take us on and sort out a visa while we are over here. We can fly out for interviews.

Just be honest......we feel like jobs are like gold dust when you are not in the right industry??

Any guidance, help would be deeply appreciated!!

Cheers everyone, anyone need new friends, squash buddy, singer for a band, guitarist new neighbours??

cheers Dave & Jill Hirst
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:11 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Work in Canada???

Originally Posted by paris545
Just be honest......we feel like jobs are like gold dust when you are not in the right industry??
Depends on the industry ... if you're looking for a job in the wrong industry, it's like trying to find rocking horse sh*t.

I know teachers almost effectively have to retrain to teach here ... it's very tightly union controlled in Alberta.

Try making contact with the boards of education for individual cities ... you might get a better response going direct ... I'm not sure if you'll even see that sort of job on monster.

Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:39 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in Canada???

Originally Posted by paris545
Are we highly unlikely to get the chance of work by trying to get a Canadian organisation to take us on and sort out a visa while we are over here.
Yes, you are. Almost no chance until you are a landed PR.

Dont know much about the Youth worker situation, but my wife (canadian) taught ESL around here for a while, but most oportunities are in Vancouver and Toronto (as thats where most newcommers go to) It is not uncommon for a North american accent to be required Pay can be up to ~$20 per hour in the cities, but is often less. Only recently have provincial ESL bodies began to appear to certify and regulate teaching qualifications, so I would contact one of them to see whether your qualification would be recognised here if you need to use that as a fall back position.

ESL in ontario is either in private companies, or under the remit of the local school board (my wife worked for the catholic board). AS far as te school board goes as its generally "adult ed", TESL did not require a specific BEd qualification to teach, and was not covered by the teaching union. Plus side is you can get a job, down side is the pay and conditions werent great.

On a more general note the catholic school boards do not require a BEd, as long as no one else with a BEd is available to teach. Lena actualy worked as a substitute teacher in a few local junior schools when they couldnt get anyone more qualified. Wasnt much fun though so she got herself taken of the call list. I think she needed a letter from her priest though to confirm her faith So for the catholic board you dont necessarily need a BEd, but you do need to be catholic? Sounds discriminatory to me.

Good Luck

Iain

Last edited by iaink; Oct 14th 2004 at 8:45 pm.