British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Work camp employment--- rotational contract (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/work-camp-employment-rotational-contract-877789/)

Lamin May 21st 2016 9:11 am

Work camp employment--- rotational contract

I am moving back to Canada next year ( I have citizenship) and I am very interested in perusing a career in the work camps on a rotational basis. I am a Logistics manager with an associated degree and 30 years of experience and I am looking for a lifestyle change.

I wish to be based in Halifax and travel for work, I understand FT Mac is in decline at the moment but surely that's will only be a blip, I am also aware of the mineral mines in Labrador etc.

Has anybody got any advice or suggestions to help me with my pursuit?

Many thanks.

Atlantic Xpat May 21st 2016 10:04 am

Re: Work camp employment--- rotational contract

Umm, have you been following the news about Fort Mac and the fire/evacuation?
Also Labrador mines are in dire dire straits st present. Forget about getting a job there.

Lamin May 22nd 2016 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 11953251)
Umm, have you been following the news about Fort Mac and the fire/evacuation?
Also Labrador mines are in dire dire straits st present. Forget about getting a job there.

Dire straits at present! I am starting to network for positions in about 18 months time, hoping perhaps things economically will be recovering. Is there anything to suggest that both Fort Mac and Labrador etc have had their day and they are being closed down for good?

Happy to go anywhere the work is as long as I can enjoy downtime in Halifax.

Former Lancastrian May 23rd 2016 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Lamin (Post 11954049)
Dire straits at present! I am starting to network for positions in about 18 months time, hoping perhaps things economically will be recovering. Is there anything to suggest that both Fort Mac and Labrador etc have had their day and they are being closed down for good?

Happy to go anywhere the work is as long as I can enjoy downtime in Halifax.

I don't think anyone can tell you what the situation for Fort Mac and others will be in 18 months. In regards to Fort Mac they have scaled back as the Govt and others have or will not commit to the building of a pipeline to get the oil to tidewater.
NEB’s pipeline approval puts Christy Clark in the hot seat - The Globe and Mail

dechamp May 24th 2016 5:24 am

If you know people there is still lots of work here in these environments. If you do not know anyone in the industry it really is a challenge to get any half decent work.

Lamin May 24th 2016 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by dechamp (Post 11954891)
If you know people there is still lots of work here in these environments. If you do not know anyone in the industry it really is a challenge to get any half decent work.

Thanks Dechamp do you have any suggestions for me as to try and find some contacts?

gryphea May 25th 2016 4:45 am

Oil isn't the only commodity that's down.

Cameco announced they are shutting their Rabbit Lake Mine etc.

Diamond mines might be your best bet

Siouxie May 25th 2016 6:01 am

Mining Jobs & Mining Employment - CareerMine (has a good list of the different companies)

Imperial Oil - Kearl and careers

fly in fly out jobs

https://ca.linkedin.com/jobs/search?...serp_facet_exp

http://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Fly+Fly+Out&jt=flyin_flyout

InfoMine Search

These may give you a start

:)

Lamin May 25th 2016 8:41 am

Thank you very much, really appreciate it.

gryphea May 27th 2016 11:16 am

Whilst it may look like there are some Oilsands jobs at the moment. In reality there are very few and the odds are stacked. Of course that could change abruptly. I think those not in Calgary or Fort Mac may not realise quite how bad it is.

My old section at work went from 65 to 12. last week I spoke to someone whose section went from 180 to 30. All these spare people are now kicking round the job market and that means each position has hundreds (if not thousands of people) apply. Quite a lot of these hundreds and thousands are very well qualified and suited to the positions they are applying for and also have connections.

I'm not trying to be negative, but there it is. Diamonds I believe are the only on the up commodity and a few of those mines do two week on two week off rotations. Site C may also be an option.

I know excellent people who applied for jobs at Diavik and never even heard back. They were juniors, however.

dechamp May 28th 2016 8:36 am

Originally Posted by dechamp (Post 11954891)

It is very hard with out being here.

If you are aiming at halifax it might be worth doing some research into the offshore sector off the east coast.

Lamin May 28th 2016 9:44 am

Originally Posted by dechamp (Post 11958291)
It is very hard with out being here.

If you are aiming at halifax it might be worth doing some research into the offshore sector off the east coast.

I agree with you, but I do flit back and forth often as my daughter lives there. I move over next September after I finish my career in the military. In the meantime I am trying to make contacts, get qualified and understand the markets. Hopefully things will pick up and move in the right direction for everybody's sake.

Any advice or suggestions between now and then is much appreciated, thanks all.

withabix May 30th 2016 4:21 pm

From talking to other General Contractors, current tenders for remote projects are being priced based on 21-7 and 28-10 rotations.

That's pretty brutal.