Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Wish I'd brought that with us"!

Wikiposts

"Wish I'd brought that with us"!

Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road
Default "Wish I'd brought that with us"!

Hi

Has anyone had major regrets about not bringing particular stuff with them over to canada-eg your old egg cups,favourite mug,TV,duvets etc.

Been massively busy selling most of our "bits and pieces" on E Bay/Boot Sales etc.Just wondered if anyone would advise.

Cheers

Mike
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:10 am
Glaswegian

Yup

There's a bunch of stuff we regret not bringing.

You have to balance practicality, cost and sentimentality - plus you'll find you just can't replace some stuff over here.

Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:05 am
Just Joined

wazowski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Wish I'd brought that with us"!

Originally posted by mikejw
Hi

Has anyone had major regrets about not bringing particular stuff with them over to canada-eg your old egg cups,favourite mug,TV,duvets etc.

Been massively busy selling most of our "bits and pieces" on E Bay/Boot Sales etc.Just wondered if anyone would advise.

Cheers

Mike

Yeh, there was few things we had to 're-buy', but I tell ya the strange thing, just like Klondike Pete said in an article on another, ahem, well known expat's site: "The oddity is that when the retained goods finally catch up with you, two months later, and you anxiously open the crates, it appears to be full of utter junk. What you freely gave away, you could really do with. " We experienced that to some degree. 90% of our "prized posessions" are in the garage taking up valuable MPV/skidoo space!

Anyone else?

Glad to be here, but missing my folks (couldn't fit them in the suitcase and they wouldn't have survived the shipping!)

l8r,

waz.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:09 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Have decided that when/if we come, we will bring only one thing.

Everything.

We have had a quote for a 20 foot container of £2500, so we should be able to get everything in it.

It would cost that and more to re furnish a house, so it will all come behind us!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wazowski

Glad to be here,
waz.
So where have you moved to Waz? You location still shows London, England.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by stepnek
So where have you moved to Waz? You location still shows London, England.

Good point, bruv! I'll have to change that, eh?!

I'm in Brampton, Ontario.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by wazowski
Yeh, there was few things we had to 're-buy', but I tell ya the strange thing, just like Klondike Pete said in an article on another, ahem, well known expat's site: "The oddity is that when the retained goods finally catch up with you, two months later, and you anxiously open the crates, it appears to be full of utter junk. What you freely gave away, you could really do with. " We experienced that to some degree. 90% of our "prized posessions" are in the garage taking up valuable MPV/skidoo space!

Anyone else?

Glad to be here, but missing my folks (couldn't fit them in the suitcase and they wouldn't have survived the shipping!)

l8r,

waz.
Nice post....and sooooo true. Mind you getting rid of all of what we thought of as crap was very cathartic as I hadn't thrown out any of my parents stuff since they died (don't ask how long ago...it's embarrassing ) so for me it was kinda liberating. Its small things that we comment on, mostly work tools that we dumped that have cost us to replace but even that isn't causing any headache.

Shouldn't have bought bedding or curtains and we had a lot of new ones my mother-in-law bought us less than 5 years ago. I'm sure I'll find a use sooner or later (dog beds perhaps???).

There's only two things I 'miss', TCP...I drink root beer if I get too bad and 1% Hydrocortizone cream as they only sell .5% which doesn't work for me. Hardly anything to write home about really
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Smokey
Nice post....and sooooo true. Mind you getting rid of all of what we thought of as crap was very cathartic as I hadn't thrown out any of my parents stuff since they died (don't ask how long ago...it's embarrassing ) so for me it was kinda liberating. Its small things that we comment on, mostly work tools that we dumped that have cost us to replace but even that isn't causing any headache.

Shouldn't have bought bedding or curtains and we had a lot of new ones my mother-in-law bought us less than 5 years ago. I'm sure I'll find a use sooner or later (dog beds perhaps???).

There's only two things I 'miss', TCP...I drink root beer if I get too bad and 1% Hydrocortizone cream as they only sell .5% which doesn't work for me. Hardly anything to write home about really

Yeh, but it's the littel things that matter, dontcha think?
I mean, my friend came over to work for a week and what did I ask him to bring? My (dual voltage) broadband router? No. My toolkit, built up over 10 years of bodge-it-yourself home improvements? No. What did I ask him to bring? Ribena and a few tins of Heinz Baked Beans. Heheehehh!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Soooo
i'll take out all the mp3 players,books,cds,pictures and replace them with ribena,baked beans,boost bars and the like.
Hold on there, just while i tell the wife.
mike
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:45 am
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

A 10 year supply of Redbull.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by mikejw
Soooo
i'll take out all the mp3 players,books,cds,pictures and replace them with ribena,baked beans,boost bars and the like.
Hold on there, just while i tell the wife.
mike

Sure She'll be thrilled,eh?!!! (grin)
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

"I 'miss', TCP...I drink root beer if I get too bad"

Si I'm not the only person who thinks Root Beer is reminicant of anti-sceptic? My mum works at a hospital and on every occasion I have attempted to drink Root Beer I just get hospital dis infectant.

When I moved over I didn't have much money so could only take a part container of about £500 of essential stuff. Things I could do with now aren't vital but I wish I could have brought my bike because adding it to my container probably would have been cheaper than buying a new one here but I couldn't have afforded to back then anyway so now it is sat in my parents garage being pointless. Maybe I will get them to sell if and send me the cash to put towards a new one here. I wouldn't have minded my portable 14" PAL TV and PAL VCR and my crate of a few hundred old VHS tapes full of movies and classic TV shows etc. but to bring all that was unrealistic and eventually I will shell out $500 for a multiformat VCR here and ship em over for some nostalgia. Not essential but would be nice. I sold my Hi-Fi to a friend but thinking about it I probably should have kept that and just used the transformer I bought anyway for my guitar amp which works fine. Same goes for my speakers sat in a the spare room at my parents. All to big and bulky to fit in my limited shipping space though. Saying that I bought my golf clubs and they haven't left the cuboard once in the last year except to move apartments.

Drew
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure only the females will be able to relate to this...........decent curtains, especially ones that are lined! We have blinds like everyone else but in one or two rooms I have wanted curtains. Can I get nice, good quality ones........no! Wish I had brought over all my Laura Ashley & Next curtains!!!!

JJ
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:23 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joggerjo
I am sure only the females will be able to relate to this...........decent curtains, especially ones that are lined! We have blinds like everyone else but in one or two rooms I have wanted curtains. Can I get nice, good quality ones........no! Wish I had brought over all my Laura Ashley & Next curtains!!!!

JJ
I ordered some from Blighty and got them sent to a friend who posted them on to me. Still nearly 50% cheaper than the early 1980's dross they stitch you up for here.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by joggerjo

JJ
Sympathies (as I have a chest full of them) but after now owning4 houses I can say that they positively won't fit and damn window you care to look at (or through ). If you live in an older house most of the windows will be of differing sizes and if you live in a newer house then you can guarantee the builder made the windows a funny non standard size.

I don't suppose you've considered making them? Failing that have a look in the Sears Catalogue or www.sears.ca I think they sell linings seperately but have some fair examples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.