Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wire Transfer from UK

Wikiposts

Wire Transfer from UK

Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

flexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wire Transfer from UK

Hi guys, been a very long two years sine I posted.. been enjoying the life in Canada!

I am now approaching the time to buy my first home and am looking at transferring Money from UK Bank (Halifax ) to my TD account here.

Is it as simple as providing the wire transfer details and having the GBP sent to Canada, which is then converted to CAD?

I have been told many different versions with some stating the money will first be transferred to USD, and then to CAD meaning I get hit twice with currency conversion
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

newlife_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wire Transfer from UK

Originally Posted by flexsingh
Hi guys, been a very long two years sine I posted.. been enjoying the life in Canada!

I am now approaching the time to buy my first home and am looking at transferring Money from UK Bank (Halifax ) to my TD account here.

Is it as simple as providing the wire transfer details and having the GBP sent to Canada, which is then converted to CAD?

I have been told many different versions with some stating the money will first be transferred to USD, and then to CAD meaning I get hit twice with currency conversion
I deal with overseas transfers all day long here in the UK. You should ask your bank (halifax)to process an international payment, quoting the amount in GBP that you would like to send.

Your payment will be sent in GBP through an intermediary bank in the US and then to your CAD account, exchange rates will only be applied when they hit your TD account.

MIght be worth while asking your bank in Canada, if they can give a fix rate. Most bank will do this for a large amount of money.

Soooooo wish we were in your situation. Can not wait to be in Canada, looking for our first property.

Congrats

Last edited by newlife_canada; Apr 9th 2013 at 8:55 am. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 9th 2013, 9:56 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_canada
I deal with overseas transfers all day long here in the UK. You should ask your bank (halifax)to process an international payment, quoting the amount in GBP that you would like to send.

Your payment will be sent in GBP through an intermediary bank in the US and then to your CAD account, exchange rates will only be applied when they hit your TD account.

MIght be worth while asking your bank in Canada, if they can give a fix rate. Most bank will do this for a large amount of money.

Soooooo wish we were in your situation. Can not wait to be in Canada, looking for our first property.

Congrats
Why would it go through a US intermediary ?
That doesn't make much sense. I would have thought it would have been a straight "nostro/vostro" transaction between the two banks or, if there is no direct connection, their correspondent bank in Canada.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

It depends on how much you are transferring. If relatively small amounts, just do an international transfer. Even though you will get a poor exchange rate, it's easy and convenient.

If transferring larger amounts, rate becomes more important, as your losses can amount to thousands in a single transaction. In these cases it's worth using a forex company. You transfer to their UK account, they convert and transfer to your Canadian account at a pre-agreed rate. This rate will be significantly better than the rate applied by the bank.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You can also write yourself a cheque on your UK account and deposit it in you Canadian account. On occasion and by negotiation I get the same rate as an FX broker offers. For established customers there is often no hold on funds, for newer customers there may be a hold, but no transaction fees.

Be sure the funds are in the account, if the cheque bounces and gets returned, it is at the banks sell rate not the rate they gave you when they bought the funds off you to exchange.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Use a forex company not your bank. Even if your just changing a couple of grand you'll be better off. UK Bank to Canadian bank you'll be done over both in fee's and exchange rate. I quite like http://www.fxcompared.com/ to compare companys and get the best rate on the day. TD trust will charge an incomming wire fee of $10 I think regardless of how you wire the money
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

RoMo82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tee1
Use a forex company not your bank. Even if your just changing a couple of grand you'll be better off. UK Bank to Canadian bank you'll be done over both in fee's and exchange rate. I quite like http://www.fxcompared.com/ to compare companys and get the best rate on the day. TD trust will charge an incomming wire fee of $10 I think regardless of how you wire the money
I agree with this, Banks will give you the worst rates going. I've been transfering my wages from the UK using UKForex and i've been getting very good rates and fast turnaround, also if its over £3k there's no fee. I think they might have a top limit though so if you're doing a very big sum you might have to do one or 2 transactions.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:10 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Always used http://currencyfair.com/ myself to transfer money over.

Seems to be competitive and it's pretty easy to use after you set it up and verify yourself (with passport)
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

flexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm looking at transferring 50k or so... If using a forex company how safe is it?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

smurf8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish I'd new that before. Just transferred money over and lost about £800 Oh well u live & learn
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

If your at the bank and get quoted a rate. Ask for a better rate. They are allowed to adjust and negotiate. If they say no, go higher up the chain or complain.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm looking at transferring 50k or so... If using a forex company how safe is it?
I guess it's worth noting that not all fx companies are fsa regulated and with some company's in theory your money could be lost should they go bust during the transfer but in reality very safe. It's important you do your research, make sure they have a segregated client account and read online reviews of the company but thousands of people do it everyday with no problems.
It's worth opening a couple of accounts with different companies so that you can chose the one with the best rate on the day. I used smart currency exchange and would recommend them. For the cash you want to transfer fx broker is the only way to go

This page tells you things to check at the bottom of the page http://www.moneysupermarket.com/curr...oney-transfer/

Last edited by tee1; Apr 9th 2013 at 6:56 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Derpmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Use a forex company for that amount. None of them charge any wire transfer fees for over $3k usually and you can pay EFT from UK bank account probably branch to branch transfer.

There's also VBCE who will take a wire, convert it to CAD, then send branch to branch in Canada (free) through HSBC, TDbank, RBC whatever banks they use. Or get a demand draft from your bank in UK and mail it to VBCE it's free if over $5,000

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 10th 2013 at 1:02 pm. Reason: url removed.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

We used Halo Financial and it worked for us. There may be better ones out there but Halo were significantly better than the high street banks.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Destrike is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very new to this sort of thing, but when I last stayed with my Fiancee, I used the PostOffice, was able to transfer money from my own account into her account without fee's

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-payments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.