Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter tyres (or is that tires)

Wikiposts

Winter tyres (or is that tires)

Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:31 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter tyres (or is that tires)

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Look, I went to pains to point out that engineering is more lax than real science.

1) nothing diffuses through a tyre, either way. If you lose pressure you have a leak.

2) dry air is just as dry as dry nitrogen and as pointed our air is 80% nitrogen anyway: and as further pointed out a bit of moisture plays no role at all. What could it do? Any water vapour present will not materially affect the pressure v temperature relation since the maximum water content (New Orleans in July) is ~3% and the B coefficient for H2O (explained in my earlier post) is only 30% higher than for air.

3) I've no idea if aircraft are filled with nitrogen very often. Every one of the thousands of flights I've taken were filled with air.
How do you know that the aircraft you've flown on had air filled tires? Did you ask? If thats so then perhaps you could suggest to the crew that they might want to comply with FAA regulations in future as since 2005 dry nitrogen is mandated for all passenger aircraft

The amount of moisture in air filled tires is not a direct correlation to the of humidity in the air, its a result of that small amount of humidity collecting over time in the tanks or lines and then getting shot out in one burp from time to time. Ive read of tire techs finding as much as a quart of water inside a car tire when changing them, thats a bit more that 3%!

In the case of aircraft arguments applying to car tires it very much a red herring anyway as the real danger in aircraft is water freezing at altitude causing the tire to be out of balance when the rubber hits the runway, and aircraft tires operate at much higher pressures where they can lose 5% pressure day in normal usage.

Its not that Im disagreeing about Nitrogen in car tires being a con, but there are reasons for its use in aircraft, they just dont apply to cars.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 11th 2012 at 1:36 am.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:44 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Talking of women drivers, I was quite surprised earlier today when both planes I took from Cape Town to London were piloted by women.
Why? We have women flying fighter jets, air buses and the numerous TacHels have been on during operations

Oh...Canada also has a female astronuat from Quebec
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
How do you know that the aircraft you've flown on had air filled tires?
You used to have a sense of humour. You never mentioned the tyres, just aircraft.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:52 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Why? We have women flying fighter jets, air buses and the numerous TacHels have been on during operations

Oh...Canada also has a female astronuat from Quebec
My surprise was at the fact that were two back to back. Prior to today I could have counted the number of female pilots I've encountered on the fingers of a hand with one finger.

The bird who landed my 747 this morning could well have been a fighter pilot. It hit the ground like a Stuka that had just been shot down.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:57 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You used to have a sense of humour. You never mentioned the tyres, just aircraft.
Caffeine deficiency I expect, I just thought you were being argumentative and condescending as usual... my apologies.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:13 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I think my husband is wishing he had snow tyres today - rear wheel drive mustang gt

It's not like we haven't got something more suitable for the winter - if only he would fix it/them
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:17 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I think my husband is wishing he had snow tyres today - rear wheel drive mustang gt

It's not like we haven't got something more suitable for the winter - if only he would fix it/them
You have snow out there already?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:34 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

what...he didn't feel like taking the family van?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:51 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You have snow out there already?
Yes, we unfortunately do, doesn't bode well for OH dealing with this years winter that's for sure. It's supposed to warm up by tomorrow We had a slight dusting last week, but today we can definitely say, we've got snow. It's the earliest we've had it since we've lived here.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
what...he didn't feel like taking the family van?
Even if we had a van, I think he would have made that so it wasn't usable too
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:05 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
We have no choice but to use winter tires. It's the law here in QC. I don't drive but I'm told that the winter tires make a hell of a difference, as does the 4-wheel drive. We have our tires on a second set of rims.
Most of the people in the ditch in BC are the ones with 4-wheel drive as it gives them a false sense of security.

+1 on the brake lightly and early
Old Oct 11th 2012, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Most of the people in the ditch in BC are the ones with 4-wheel drive as it gives them a false sense of security.

+1 on the brake lightly and early

Same here in Alberta, the ones that have got the super chips in and think they can see through blizzard conditions, are the ones that end up facing the wrong way waiting for the tow ban to be lifted.