Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter tyres (or is that tires)

Winter tyres (or is that tires)

Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter tyres (or is that tires)

I know the value of Canada is that nothing ever happens; safety, routine, ritual. But, ffs, that's the same article they print every year.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Enough to push dbds premiums up into "small pacific island GDP" levels
It's renewal time, I await the coming bill with interest. Will this be a year in which the insurance premium was less than the value of the car?
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
no your just a patronising do good know it all...as you state they aren't entirely necessary the same as i pointed out using my own experience. Its my choice if i wanna have winter tyres or not...i like having choices..thanks!!
I don't recall stating that your choice wasn't valid. You can do what you wish to.

I love the irony of being accused of being patronising by you.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Oct 5th 2012 at 3:09 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:09 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I normally try to get mine fitted before the end of October.

And yes, they can make an incredible difference when braking, steering or driving through slippery stuff (I have videos to prove it)!

One good example was one stormy day last year. The snow on the road up the hill was quite deep and of a very slippery nature. I was following a largish four wheel drive truck up the hill (well, actually, I waited at the bottom of the steep bit in case he lost control and slipped backwards). He got completely stuck in the snow just before the top of the hill (and had to be towed out of there later in the day). As soon as I realised he wasn't going anywhere, I took my turn and was able to get all the way up and around him without shitting my pants

Of course, the best thing to do in these conditions is stay home but, in the case you absolutely have to go out, for the best protection, wear the proper rubber for the conditions.

Other snow/ice driving tips:
Get all the braking done before beginning to turn a corner
Accelerating, braking and steering: never do two of these simultaneously
Try to practise some winter driving in a safe location; try to learn how to recover from a slide and get a feel if you can stop more quickly by activating or not activating the ABS in different conditions
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Secam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Accelerating, braking and steering: never do two of these simultaneously
Having survived 35 Canadian winters, most with a 1 hour commute each way, this is the best piece of winter driving advice I have ever read.

I'd also add to this with "brake early and brake lightly".
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How would one brake and accelerate simultaneously one wonders, even if one wanted too...

Last edited by iaink; Oct 5th 2012 at 3:45 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this graphic before somewhere else - but here it is on this forum:

http://www.snowtire.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271

That's the general rule that I use - change my tyres when the temp is consistently below 5-7
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

How would one break and accelerate simultaneously one wonders, even if one wanted too...
"left foot braking"
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
Saw this graphic before somewhere else - but here it is on this forum:

http://www.snowtire.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ter2004pg4.jpg

That's the general rule that I use - change my tyres when the temp is consistently below 5-7
Is that the air temperature, the road temperature or the rubber temperature.?

Im pretty sceptical of the benefits at 7C, I can see the tyre company benefits though as you will scrub a lot of rubber of your winters and youll need to replace them that much sooner at that temperature.

Just the friction of the rubber rolling along the road is enough to significantly heat a tire up too, so static lab tests of friction at various temperatures I feel are misleading.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 5th 2012 at 3:48 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:45 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that permutation refers to use of the handbrake? Or both feet out panic situation?

How would one break and accelerate simultaneously one wonders, even if one wanted too...
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the air temperature, the road temperature or the rubber temperature.?

Im pretty sceptical of the benefits at 7C, I can see the tyre company benefits though as you will scrub a lot of rubber of your winters and youll need to replace them that much sooner at that temperature.

Just the friction of the rubber rolling along the road is enough to significantly heat a tire up too, so static lab tests of friction at various temperatures I feel are misleading.
I'm just a sucker for pretty pictures. They have a graph - it must be legit.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I guess that permutation refers to use of the handbrake? Or both feet out panic situation?
But accelerating means the vehicle is increasing in speed and braking means its decreasing speed, so it cant physically do both at the same time!

Anyway, its sound advice to avoid changing both speed and direction at the same time if you can avoid it, theres only so much friction to go around.

Best winter driving tip I know is that its better to slow down in bad conditions and be late than to proceed as usual and be the late...
Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:03 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Likewise. I remember the first year I had that AWD Vibe, I ran it through winter on the stock all season tyres and I remember being able to brake and slow more quickly on freezing cold dry roads than I could in subsequent years with the winter tyres fitted (again, on freezing cold dry roads).

I'm sure the softer rubber does help to some extent but my guess was that there's less rubber in contact with the road with the winter tyres, given the bigger gaps in the tread.

Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Best winter driving tip I know is that its better to slow down in bad conditions and be late than to proceed as usual and be the late...
Unfortunately, then the truck that's tailgating because you're not going ten over the speed limit crashes into the back of you when you stop.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarkG
Unfortunately, then the truck that's tailgating because you're not going ten over the speed limit crashes into the back of you when you stop.
I bloody hope 10 over the speed limit does represent having slowed down for a blizzard. Some of us haven't got all day you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.