Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

cdntiger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Originally Posted by jimf
Are there courses on winter driving available in Calgary? Are they any good?
In all seriousness, Alberta Motor Association offers this.... https://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg//...6.htm?link=tsr It doesn't look like any are scheduled yet, but it might be worth a phone call. Can't speak to how good it is though, but AMA is a fairly well-respected organization so I'm sure it can't be too bad.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cdntiger
In all seriousness, Alberta Motor Association offers this.... https://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg//...6.htm?link=tsr It doesn't look like any are scheduled yet, but it might be worth a phone call. Can't speak to how good it is though, but AMA is a fairly well-respected organization so I'm sure it can't be too bad.
Courses are scheduled for Sundays December 13th at 0930, 1100, and 1300 and December 27th at 0930 and 1300 run for an hour and a half costing $179 for members and $259 for non-members.

All course run out of the Macleod Trail location.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:56 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
To be fair, Ontario and NS dont get nearly as cold as Alberta, and its in the extreme cold that regular rubber hardens and looses its ability to grip well...

In Ontario its probably the deeper more aggressive tread that makes what difference it does, but in Alberta the softer rubber compounds would be more of a factor more of the time.

I would bow to local experience, but common sense is telling me that adding weight to push the wheels down wont make as much difference if the rubber is rock hard. Still, the sand or salt will be handy for treating the road surface when you get stuck, although carrying the extra weight around for a few months is going to hurt your fuel economy to some extent, and it will be bad enough in the cold months without the extra weight anyway...
Unless it's Ottawa.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:02 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Courses are scheduled for Sundays December 13th at 0930, 1100, and 1300 and December 27th at 0930 and 1300 run for an hour and a half costing $179 for members and $259 for non-members.

All course run out of the Macleod Trail location.
$259 for 1/2 an hour!!!! are they wearing masks? because they bloody well should be. dear all, refer to my previous post on this matter and send me a timmies card, feel free to spend the difference on tyres. what a bloody rip off.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by rae
$259 for 1/2 an hour!!!! are they wearing masks? because they bloody well should be. dear all, refer to my previous post on this matter and send me a timmies card, feel free to spend the difference on tyres. what a bloody rip off.
It's an hour and a half, still a rip off as far as I'm concerned.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:15 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It's an hour and a half, still a rip off as far as I'm concerned.
sorry missed that, just balked at the price!!! nice of you to post the info steve, think they may be playing on peoples fears personally.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by rae
think they may be playing on peoples fears personally.
Fully agree Rae.

As far as I'm concerned find yourself an empty parking lot after the first snowfall and practice throwing the car around to see what it does.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Just put some Goodyear Nordic's and steel rims on the Jeep Liberty today , Tried them out in the snow/slush today and yes BIG difference.

I'm converted ..
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
.....If you think you just as safe with all seasons, your part of the reason why insurance is so high here.....
Hi
personally i think the high premiums are because of the 'won't happen to me attitude' and the poor driving standards... undertaking and impatience doesn't help reduce accidents, likewise jumping and running lights..

Most vehicles I saw off the road last three years were SUV and 4wd...to much confidence..'never happened before'.

I drove for the last three winters company vehicles, rear wheel drive, on all seasons, (the employers wouldn't pay for winter tyres not needed...), I was in a 24/7 field service job.
I got stuck one day outside my house, purely because the snowplow,plowed me in...
The key to safety is i think, taking it easy, driving to the road conditions and the three second rule..
cheers
Jerry
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:27 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
personally i think the high premiums are because of the 'won't happen to me attitude' and the poor driving standards... undertaking and impatience doesn't help reduce accidents, likewise jumping and running lights..

Most vehicles I saw off the road last three years were SUV and 4wd...to much confidence..'never happened before'.

I drove for the last three winters company vehicles, rear wheel drive, on all seasons, (the employers wouldn't pay for winter tyres not needed...), I was in a 24/7 field service job.
I got stuck one day outside my house, purely because the snowplow,plowed me in...
The key to safety is i think, taking it easy, driving to the road conditions and the three second rule..
cheers
Jerry
Whats that - counting to three before you call the tw@t that just cut you up a knobhead
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
You forget to mention that its also necessary to drink cup of coffee, eat donut and use phone at the same time.........
A guy behind me once on McKnight in rush hour was eating a bowl of cereal
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:32 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

cheers
Jerry
You really don't get it.................... its simple grade school physics

friction affects stopping distance

the less friction, the less control, the higher the chance of an error !

still they say that 75% think they're in the top 50% of Drivers
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Whats that - counting to three before you call the tw@t that just cut you up a knobhead
Hi
Tee Hee...

naah
three seconds min behind the vehicle in front
wait three seconds after the light turns green

I can't remember the source, it's in my books at work, but it was on the commercial driver course, apparently greatly increases your life expectancy when driving, but as usual try and practice it and someone hoots..
cheers
Jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; Oct 15th 2009 at 4:31 am. Reason: typo
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeUK
You really don't get it.................... its simple grade school physics

friction affects stopping distance

the less friction, the less control, the higher the chance of an error !

still they say that 75% think they're in the top 50% of Drivers
Hi
obviously I must not.
But then I only did nuclear physics, I must have been doing it all wrong driving the last 35 yrs or so to have an accident free record, including commuting 60 miles a day by motorcycle all year around, rain,ice and snow, on normal tyres.

Out of interest the rcmp quote:-
Although it is recommended that motorists equip their vehicles with winter tread tires for travel on mountainous highways an all season tire with a "M&S" rating on the sidewall will suffice.

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?si...contentId=7418

better buy myself a lotto ticket now, I must only have one of my nine lives left.
cheers
Jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; Oct 15th 2009 at 5:03 am. Reason: typo
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

cheers
Jerry
In North Vancouver where you are, winter tires are a marginal advantage most of the time at best, so all seasons will be fine I guess.

Its probably a good idea to make the distinction between coastal BC and the snowier icier parts of Canada (the majority), where winter tires can make a lot more difference, even if the legislation is not in place to make them mandatory.

What you say about overconfidence is also true. The most important bit of safety equipment in any car is the grey spongy thing between the drivers ears.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 15th 2009 at 1:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.