Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:31 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Originally Posted by cdntiger
It's possible. But that may be true whether they've got winters on or not. I've made a few winter trips between Edmonton and Calgary in horrible conditions and the only vehicles in the ditches were SUVs.

I've heard the same over-confidence worry expressed over anti-lock brakes. However I believe most people who are thoughtful enough to consider the benefits of winter tires are thoughtful enough to care about driving to conditions. Without evidence I'll call that a hypothesis.

It must be September in Canada; the winter tire/all-season tire debate rages anew.
i'd like to think you are right, but the number of accidents i go to, where the vehicles are AWD/4X4 with winter tyres does not convince me. when i see and speak to the drivers though, i am convinced its just reckless bad driving for the most part.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:32 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, wont be long before we are on to block heaters again
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

cdntiger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rae
when i see and speak to the drivers though, i am convinced its just reckless bad driving for the most part.

True no matter what season....which says more about how we train drivers in this country than which tires they choose to put on their cars and trucks.

You're probably right to some extent. There will be people who buy SUVs that have a false sense of security when driving in winter. There will be people who buy snow tires that have a false sense of security when driving in winter. Those that belong to both groups are probably to be avoided...if they can be spotted. However I still don't see that as an arguement to stay with all-seasons all year. That's not to say you can't make it safely through the winter on all-seasons....as you and others have attested. But those who drive sensibly on winter tires are more likely to keep their cars off the tow truck's hook and out of the body shop than those who drive sensibly on all-seasons.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink

Speaking of which....
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:56 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

However I still don't see that as an arguement to stay with all-seasons all year.
simply if you can get by without them, why bother? spend the money on ale is what i say, 4 snow tyres and fitting, thats at least 2 trips down the pub paid for that is.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:57 pm
rae
Settled.

never had one of them either, big con if you ask me, sure the wire does not actually lead anywhere.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
simply if you can get by without them, why bother? spend the money on ale is what i say, 4 snow tyres and fitting, thats at least 2 trips down the pub paid for that is.
I know that I missed ending up in at least one accident last year due to the better traction in extreme situations last year. Truck in front spun out going up a hill and was hit by semi going the other way. Full ABS emergency stomp and I missed it by about 2 feet. No way all seasons would have pulled me up as fast.

So thats a deductable / claim saved right there, not even getting into the health issues that the poor guy in the Explorer in front was going to be dealing with. Lucky there was no one behind me on all seasons I suppose, although I guess its better to be rear ended that take a full frontal mithering (Ooh Er missus)

Yes you can get by, but all seasons are a compromise in the more extreme winter conditions. Good driving helps, but the laws of physics are a bitch when push comes to shove.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 3rd 2009 at 7:13 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rae
...and then drive home. haha

There are pubs here??
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:04 pm
rae
Settled.

I know that I missed ending up in at least one accident last year due to the better traction in extreme situations last year. Truck in front spun out going up a hill and was hit by semi going the other way. Full ABS emergency stomp and I missed it by about 2 feet. No way all seasons would have pulled me up as fast.

So thats a deductable / claim saved right there, not even getting into the health issues that the poor guy in the Explorer in front was going to be dealing with.

Yes you can get by, but all seasons are a compromise in the more extreme winter conditions. Good driving helps, but the laws of physics are a bitch when push comes to shove.
another fair point, not being able to control whats going on around you. but more people die of wasp stings in the uk than all the snakes and spiders in oz don't ya know.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:05 pm
rae
Settled.

...and then drive home. haha

There are pubs here??
well ok then bars, does the same job in a less entertaining fashion i suppose.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rae
well ok then bars, does the same job in a less entertaining fashion i suppose.
So does buying a 24-case to drink at home watching re-runs of Seinfeld.

But we digress....
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:51 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
simply if you can get by without them, why bother?
What do the Edmonton police stick on their cruisers in winter?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:58 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by MikeUK
What do the Edmonton police stick on their cruisers in winter?
they don't mike, thats my point, same speed rated tyres all year round. apparently they tested some speed rated winter tyres? last year, but they were worse than the normal ones, or so the rumour mill stated, probably bollox.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:35 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
they don't mike, thats my point, same speed rated tyres all year round. apparently they tested some speed rated winter tyres? last year, but they were worse than the normal ones, or so the rumour mill stated, probably bollox.
I know the OPP here and the Qubec police go over to winters tyres in November as a rule

But I'm also aware that most winter tires don't come in the higher speed ratings either ?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:03 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I know the OPP here and the Qubec police go over to winters tyres in November as a rule

But I'm also aware that most winter tires don't come in the higher speed ratings either ?
yeah i don't know about this speed rated winter tyre thing, that was just the word from the mill. seems a bit arse about face to me anyhow, how can you have speed tyres for winter? does not make sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.