Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:27 am
Just Joined

cdntiger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winter tires or All season for Calgary???

Not that it hasn't already been said, but I'll add my voice to one side of the debate...proper, winter-rated tires are worth the investment. There's a remarkable difference to all seasons, especially on the cold, black-ice-riddled roads of Alberta. All season tires aren't up to the task of 'all' Canadian seasons, except for maybe the lower mainland of BC.

And beware used winters, especially budget brands. The grippier tread compound may not go all the way down to the wear bar.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Last year was a nghtmare to find winter tires (and not just for trucks) and there was a couple of reasons behind this which 1 has been rectified and the other was a freak of nature.

Some of the Eastern provinces made it law to have winter tires on, they did this 2 months after the tire distributors had put their orders in to the manufacturers for the season. By the time the law was passed it was apparently too late to order more.

Second reason was again apparently one of the big tanker type ship thingys that was bringing over a phenominal amount of winter tires from Japan - lost its load midway.

So those things combined made last year a f*****r of a year to get winter tires.

After speaking to a couple of manufacturers in March they have assured most that these problems (ok well you can't guarantee a ship going tits up) will not reoccur - although I would tbotss get your winter tires ordered up and on hand ready (just in case eh )
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:41 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Last year was a nghtmare to find winter tires (and not just for trucks) and there was a couple of reasons behind this which 1 has been rectified and the other was a freak of nature.

Some of the Eastern provinces made it law to have winter tires on, they did this 2 months after the tire distributors had put their orders in to the manufacturers for the season. By the time the law was passed it was apparently too late to order more.

Second reason was again apparently one of the big tanker type ship thingys that was bringing over a phenominal amount of winter tires from Japan - lost its load midway.

So those things combined made last year a f*****r of a year to get winter tires.

After speaking to a couple of manufacturers in March they have assured most that these problems (ok well you can't guarantee a ship going tits up) will not reoccur - although I would tbotss get your winter tires ordered up and on hand ready (just in case eh )
We tried getting them last year as a reactive thing after the first few bad days on the roads. Had no luck thanks to the shortage, were basically told 2 months for ordering, so instead drove very carefully. Luckily both of us car pool into work so our driving is fairly minimal.

This year going to be a little bit more organised and get our winter tires sorted sooner rather than later. I am intrigued to see if it's as night and day as people say, but based on the stories it's definitely the way to go.

Not that this is in anyway a recommendation not to get winter tires but there are really only a few weeks of terrible driving on the Calgary roads spread over the winter so if you don't drive a lot you can get by. Just avoid going out on the really bad days and give yourself extra time if you do need to go out. So if you either can't find tires or can't afford them you should still be able to get around from December to March.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:53 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
although I would tbotss get your winter tires ordered up and on hand ready (just in case eh )
Yes indeedy - we got ours in September last year and glad we did ... J
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Winter tires are not a subsitute for slowing down and paying attention to keeping some space around you, no matter how good they are I don't think anyone is saying you will be immobile without them, especially if you engage your brain and drive cautiously.

But there will be times when no matter how good a driver you are, you get caught up in other peoples mishaps, and winter tires can give you the edge you need to avoid an accident where stopping a few yards sooner, or finding grip to steer and avoid something could make a difference.

It doesn't take much of a prang to eat up a $500 deductible or cause a $1000 increase in your premium next year, so its money well spent I think.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hobbess
Not that this is in anyway a recommendation not to get winter tires but there are really only a few weeks of terrible driving on the Calgary roads spread over the winter so if you don't drive a lot you can get by. Just avoid going out on the really bad days and give yourself extra time if you do need to go out. So if you either can't find tires or can't afford them you should still be able to get around from December to March.
100% agree with this statement.

I would recommend winter tires, but having said that I am embarrassed to admit that I have been driving in Calgary for 35 years accident free and I am yet to put winter tires on "my" car.

We have Nokian WR's on Mrs_P's car and she thinks they are great. As far as I know these are the only "all season tires" fully winter rated. When new tires are required for my current car these are what is going on it.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you y'all store the tires when not in use?

I am just curious as an apartment dweller.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Some place that provide winter tyres offer free storage during the summer.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Hang them with ropes from the ceiling in your flat and you've got instant seating!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Tyre shops will store them for you. I don't imagine it costs very much.

My all seasons wore out early last winter so, after reading about winter tyres here, I got a set. The difference I noticed was that, on icy days, I didn't have to roll through the stop sign at the end of the street (steep slope up to the sign). A small improvement. I wouldn't bother with winter tyres in the city, indeed I didn't for twenty odd years, but out in the wilderness they have some merit.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:35 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
100% agree with this statement.
Phew - I was sure I was going to get abuse for it!!

Similar question to the storage, do you have to get your tires changed professionally in Spring and Winter? Having changed a spare tire a few times, is changing 4 tires a more involved process?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hobbess
Phew - I was sure I was going to get abuse for it!!

Similar question to the storage, do you have to get your tires changed professionally in Spring and Winter? Having changed a spare tire a few times, is changing 4 tires a more involved process?
not if you have an electric impact wrench (or can borrow one) to undo the bolts and hydraulic jack....Takes half an hour maybe....not F1 quick, but not worth the hassle of booking an appointment and paying someone else.

Of course, you need to have them on their own rims to do that...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:59 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

most have a crap (well cheaper) set of rims with their winter tires on that they can keep at their local dealership - and then swap back over to their alloys / summer tires.

Just spoke to our service dept and they charge $80 to swap tires over but we don't store them here
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Those secure storage units seem to be a boom business around here. I figured it was in part driven by all the military people getting posted around, but maybe its just people with snow tires...

A small unit costs $55 a month or so though....
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

I didn't get winters until last year as we live up up a hill now, and have to commute up and down it every day, but we totally survived without them before that. There are only a few days over winter in Calgary that the roads are really bad snow-wise. The main roads are usually clear with a few heavier snow days here and there, which means winters wear out fast here. Chinooks don't help either. That said, I did notice a difference with better control etc and we passed people stuck on the hill going sideways and sliding backwards on bad days. But you can still lock-up and slide etc if you're not breaking/driving correctly. It's all about driving safely and slowing everything down. The tires just help a little. I use Yokohama Ice Guards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.