Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winter: time to get beardy ?

Winter: time to get beardy ?

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 4:39 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Winter: time to get beardy ?

So after a week or two of minus temps and forecasted long term cold weather for the next 2 months or more, is it time to grow a beard ? I've noticed a few people grow the stubbly fluff beard or the medium-thickness 'forestry workers beard' stylee. Note I'm not thinking of a full thick bushy bushman look. Now that would just be stoopid.

And so I'm given to consideration of achieving beardy status....less morning hassles with shaving. Lower maintenance costs, no need to buy expensive multi-blade razors for a few weeks. A nice no-cost insulated face-protector. A somewhat rugged look appealing to certain types.

So, is it time to beardy up, or should I yearn for something more socially acceptable, like a Satan-worshipper, NDP member, etc ? Anyone on here a part time winter beardy type ?

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Winter: time to get beardy ?-beard.jpg  
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 4:56 am
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Winter: time to get beardy ?

Not planning on it!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 5:44 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
So after a week or two of minus temps and forecasted long term cold weather for the next 2 months or more, is it time to grow a beard ? I've noticed a few people grow the stubbly fluff beard or the medium-thickness 'forestry workers beard' stylee. Note I'm not thinking of a full thick bushy bushman look. Now that would just be stoopid.

And so I'm given to consideration of achieving beardy status....less morning hassles with shaving. Lower maintenance costs, no need to buy expensive multi-blade razors for a few weeks. A nice no-cost insulated face-protector. A somewhat rugged look appealing to certain types.

So, is it time to beardy up, or should I yearn for something more socially acceptable, like a Satan-worshipper, NDP member, etc ? Anyone on here a part time winter beardy type ?

Rich.
Ask your Mrs what she thinks. I find Beardies an absolute turn-off myself. Rugged look would be a beardless Richard Armitage in North & South.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:51 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Like this????????????
Attached Thumbnails Winter: time to get beardy ?-crazy_beards5.jpg   Winter: time to get beardy ?-crazy_beards8.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:49 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Like this????????????
Ah, so thats what Davy Jones looks like when not filming "Pirates of the Caribbean; Dead Man's Chest" Ooooo arrrr
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

On a more serious note, growing a beard certainly does help when it is -20 outside. If you look to an earlier post of 'what happens to the face' where people are putting forward all sorts of elaborate scarf, polo neck hat combinations to cover the face from the wind chill, a beard is a natural defence.
However, there are additional complications, like it will freeze like the hairs in your nose. So you will end up with a ice crystals etc freezing your beard together.
I find more people with beards in Canada than in the UK, especially in winter. Also you can partake in the Canadian tradition of the 'play-off beard' where you stop shaving once your team starts in the play-offs and you keep growing the beard until it's over. You will notice lots of guys start seemingly randomly growing beards at the same time.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:27 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Grow one of those chin strap beards mate, or even a rather splendid goatee! Not only will it help with the cold, but it'll also give you the illusion of chin
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 7:51 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I raised the possibility of a beard to my missus. Fine, if I'm prepared to give up sex for the Winter.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 8:07 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I raised the possibility of a beard to my missus. Fine, if I'm prepared to give up sex for the Winter.
My point exactly.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Furry Frank is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this still count if you have a ginger one?
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Furry Frank
Does this still count if you have a ginger one?
That's grounds for divorce.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked my wife about a beard and she agreed to grow one!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:05 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
I asked my wife about a beard and she agreed to grow one!
Bearded ladies...hmm....strangely disturbing.

Rich.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with a balaclava? Or some sort of hat?

K.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Rich.
Does a mole with a hair growing out of it count for anything?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.