Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Winnipeg MB, What's it like?

Winnipeg MB, What's it like?

Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

almacca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Winnipeg MB, What's it like?

I'm at the very beginning of applying for PR as a skilled worker, at the same time I have been sending my CV out to Canadian companies with the hope that I may find employment on a temp. work visa. I have had a couple of very positive replies one from company in Markham, ON and the other Winnipeg MB.

I have looked in to provinces such as ON, AB, BC and even NS as possible places to settle should I be successful but not MB so whats it like?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:23 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winnipeg MB, What's it like?

Originally Posted by almacca
I'm at the very beginning of applying for PR as a skilled worker, at the same time I have been sending my CV out to Canadian companies with the hope that I may find employment on a temp. work visa. I have had a couple of very positive replies one from company in Markham, ON and the other Winnipeg MB.

I have looked in to provinces such as ON, AB, BC and even NS as possible places to settle should I be successful but not MB so whats it like?
The answer depends on what your looking for?

about a million people live in it or within 10 miles of it.

If you're looking to be stabbed or looking to make loads of friends both are here but the former will take a while just to find the nutter.

If you're looking for skiing forget it unless its cross country or hours of driving to get too.

If you're looking for top bands forget it we are getting the 80 - 90's downsizing one's like Rod stewart.

If you're looking for ballet we have it the Royal Winnipeg Ballet

If you're looking for good family town the we have it huge amount of kids orientated activities, loads of 4 bed houses, schooling is basically kid driven, you want it they will bend over backwards but if you want to float then they let you. University - 2 so lots of Students, Mostly Manitobans or Oriental apart from Vollyballers as we have the Canadian National team based here.

If you're looking for nightclubs and drinking we have that too.

Basically we have everything you'd expect from a small town\city in England.
What you get is what you put into getting it.

Weatherwise Generally
sept oct --- cool
Nov Dec --- Freezing
Jan Feb Mar - North Pole Freezing (-25c and lower keeps the ice rinks frozen for free)
Apr -------- Freezing
May -------- cool
Jun -------- warm
July -------- hot +30c
Aug -------- warm
Then add in wind - mosquito's - crappy roads.

So what would you be looking for out of your non-working\sleeping hours?

Last edited by Grah; Sep 16th 2005 at 1:28 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grah

If you're looking to be stabbed or looking to make loads of friends both are here but the former will take a while just to find the nutter.

If you're looking for skiing forget it unless its cross country or hours of driving to get too.

If you're looking for top bands forget it we are getting the 80 - 90's downsizing one's like Rod stewart.

If you're looking for good family town the we have it huge amount of kids orientated activities, loads of 4 bed houses, schooling is basically kid driven, you want it they will bend over backwards but if you want to float then they let you. University - 2 so lots of Students, Mostly Manitobans or Oriental apart from Vollyballers as we have the Canadian National team based here.

Weatherwise Generally
sept oct --- cool
Nov Dec --- Freezing
Jan Feb Mar - North Pole Freezing (-25c and lower keeps the ice rinks frozen for free)
Apr -------- Freezing
May -------- cool
Jun -------- warm
July -------- hot +30c
Aug -------- warm

I have been told (but have never been there myself) that Winnepeg is the mosquito capital of canada in June, July. Mind you they feasted on me in Ontario as well so perhaps it does not make that much difference?

Jameso
Old Sep 16th 2005, 5:59 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jameso
I have been told (but have never been there myself) that Winnepeg is the mosquito capital of canada in June, July. Mind you they feasted on me in Ontario as well so perhaps it does not make that much difference?

Jameso
you right they are bad on occasion but only until they fog. which I think they only did a couple of times.

being a soccer parent you go to Mosquito environment every day, then swab with a tea bag and hey presto problem gone. Of course there are hazards but so does everything in life
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

you right they are bad on occasion but only until they fog. which I think they only did a couple of times.

being a soccer parent you go to Mosquito environment every day, then swab with a tea bag and hey presto problem gone. Of course there are hazards but so does everything in life
can you tell me more about the tea bag thing, is this preventative or for dealing with the itchy bite once it is already there. Mosquitos love me far too much, any advice on preventing/ reducing itches would be great. I have tried all deet, non deet, candles, off, natrapel and none seem to make any real difference.

Thanks, Jameso
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:51 pm
Happy in Canada.

can you tell me more about the tea bag thing, is this preventative or for dealing with the itchy bite once it is already there. Mosquitos love me far too much, any advice on preventing/ reducing itches would be great. I have tried all deet, non deet, candles, off, natrapel and none seem to make any real difference.

Thanks, Jameso
It's and after bite thing just make a cuppa wait till the bag cools and dab away with the bag.

Don't dab to hard other wise you'll split the bag.

looks a bit like sponge painting. It takes the itch away permanently for us
Old Sep 17th 2005, 9:48 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been told (but have never been there myself) that Winnepeg is the mosquito capital of canada
Not only that! Mosquitos are Manitoba's provincial bird.
Old Sep 17th 2005, 3:18 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
My family and I have been here for 5 weeks now, similar circumstance to you in that we have applied for PR and over here on a work permit.
We chose Winnipeg after doing a lot of research. As follows:

We felt that Manitoba's policies on immigration seemed to be the most positive of all the provinces.
The city possesses a 'small town feel', that appealed to us.
The people are very friendly, I mean very friendly, and they 'dote on you' if you are English!
My initial perception of Canada was 'cold dry winters' so I am not put off towards this, having lived in Cornwall all my life, I experienced the dampest winters imaginable.
The Real Estate prices are very cheap. So Manitoba will definitely improve our standard of living.

What is your occupation? Think seriously about the work permit thing, we know deep down that we were right to do it, but to warn you, we feel very unsettled here at the moment, it is not a nice predicament to be in when you are tied to an employer, for Job security reasons etc. I will never totally relax until I get my PR.
Not trying to put you off, as it does cement your PR application, but that is the nature of the beast.

Regards

Darren

Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Weatherwise Generally
sept oct --- cool
Nov Dec --- Freezing
Apr -------- Freezing
May -------- cool
Jun -------- warm
July -------- hot +30c
Aug -------- warm

Thanks for answering my post Grah.
Sounds if its got what I'm looking for.......not sure about the -25 and lower, that'll be an experience!!!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi
My family and I have been here for 5 weeks now, similar circumstance to you in that we have applied for PR and over here on a work permit.
We chose Winnipeg after doing a lot of research. As follows:

We felt that Manitoba's policies on immigration seemed to be the most positive of all the provinces.
The city possesses a 'small town feel', that appealed to us.
The people are very friendly, I mean very friendly, and they 'dote on you' if you are English!
My initial perception of Canada was 'cold dry winters' so I am not put off towards this, having lived in Cornwall all my life, I experienced the dampest winters imaginable.
The Real Estate prices are very cheap. So Manitoba will definitely improve our standard of living.

What is your occupation? Think seriously about the work permit thing, we know deep down that we were right to do it, but to warn you, we feel very unsettled here at the moment, it is not a nice predicament to be in when you are tied to an employer, for Job security reasons etc. I will never totally relax until I get my PR.
Not trying to put you off, as it does cement your PR application, but that is the nature of the beast.

Regards

Darren
Hi Darren,
I work as a production manager in the sheet metal trade.

We are at the very beginning of our PR application, when we initially looked into applying we thought that at least if successful, we would be over before our son who is almost 13, started snr high school. Now this may not be the case due to the increase in process time, with talk of it being up to 3yrs With this in mind, we have thought seriously about the work permit and I would definitely go do down that road should a job offer come my way. My real concern is that I don't find anything and wait the 3yrs for PR, my son who'll then be 16 may decide that he doesn't want to go with us.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 5:21 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, that is a very good point, which we also considered, our boys have not hit teenager stage yet, making them a lot more adaptable. Also we avoided the need for one son the transition from primary to secondary school in England.

Darren

Hi Darren,
I work as a production manager in the sheet metal trade.

We are at the very beginning of our PR application, when we initially looked into applying we thought that at least if successful, we would be over before our son who is almost 13, started snr high school. Now this may not be the case due to the increase in process time, with talk of it being up to 3yrs With this in mind, we have thought seriously about the work permit and I would definitely go do down that road should a job offer come my way. My real concern is that I don't find anything and wait the 3yrs for PR, my son who'll then be 16 may decide that he doesn't want to go with us.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:40 am
Cowtown

so whats it like?
Flat ... very, very, very flat ...

Got to admit that coming from Calgary I haven't noticed a big problem with mosquitoes when I visit ... earlier in the year I got chewed more when I got back to Calgary. I haven't had a mosquito bite anytime I've visited.

One of the pluses for Winnipeg is that they have more restaurants per head than any other city in north america (according to a local radio station).

As an occasional visitor to the city, the only advice I can give is to stay in a hotel out by Polo Park or the airport if you're visiting the city - don't stay in one of the hotels in the downtown core, it's not the nicest part of town and you won't get a good impression.

As for -25C, that's not too cold - the coldest day Winnipeg has had in the last four years has been -41C, now that's cold