Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Windsor, Ontario?

Windsor, Ontario?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Frozenrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Windsor, Ontario?

I lived in Windsor for over a year about 10 years ago so I cannot vouch for the city post economic crash. I was there when I was 21. It was the first place I moved to when I went to Canada and then moved to Toronto.

Since this post was about Windsor I thought I would add my 'two cents':

The people in Windsor were without a shadow of a doubt some of the nicest. warmest, most welcoming people I have ever met.

The city has a really vibrant art scene - lots of live music, live music in Detroit as well, many very talented painters etc. you just have to dig beneath the sleazy strip bar/ houchie club veneer of the main strip.

Windsor doesn't win any awards for 'most beautiful place in Canada' but it does have areas which are more attractive than the stripmalls and there are parks and pretty vistas if you look for them. You do need a car, its very spread out. Rent is cheap - houses are still cheap to buy.

I have no idea what the job situation is there - when I was there I was 21, had jobs in bars and got paid silly money - I don't think its the same there anymore.

In short, I love Windsor, I go back frequently, have many friends from there. Would I move back? I am not sure - I like Toronto more because everything is more convenient, it is a bit cleaner (a bit), and there are the work opportunities and has a slightly faster pace of life - but I don't regret living there at all.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:19 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manningl
Ok so there are a few abandoned buildings in Detroit but as we all know there are dodgy looking areas everywhere....

I see nothing wrong with Mexican Town and you still have to drive partly through it now to get back onto the bridge to go back to Canada or of course if you don't want to you can use the tunnel. Im still questioning the 5 mile detour though I think thats an exaggeration...

I prefer the tunnel anyway the border guards are much more lenient for some reason You pull up fully expecting to pay duty and they are just not interested but that's another topic for another thread...
A few....the city was designed fo 2 million.....there is probably half of that now
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
A few....the city was designed fo 2 million.....there is probably half of that now
A few is an understatement. In 1950 Detroit had 1.85 million and now has 714 K all with same size city in terms of land area. Many of the abandoned buildings have been cleared and an urban prairie has taken over.

None of this really mattered to the OP, who is merely concerned with the bargains to be had at a shopping mall in sprawlburbia.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:30 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
A few is an understatement. In 1950 Detroit had 1.85 million and now has 714 K all with same size city in terms of land area. Many of the abandoned buildings have been cleared and an urban prairie has taken over.

None of this really mattered to the OP, who is merely concerned with the bargains to be had at a shopping mall in sprawlburbia.
I watched an interesting documentary about it in bbc I player....it looked like it was quite a place in its prime....

Last edited by Boy d; Jun 1st 2012 at 7:36 pm. Reason: Cant type on the bloody ipad