Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Windsor, ON 2017

Windsor, ON 2017

Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

bathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Windsor, ON 2017

Originally Posted by Oink
Welcome to Vancouver. It's cold but nice and sunny today. While there's not much to do in the city in winter, you should try to check out an important cultural Canadian event, Wing Wednesday. There are quite a few bars that will not only feature this, but will combine it with discounted lager between the hours of 3pm - 6pm. It's a must on any tourist's list of dos.

Added to note: As you're in a major Canadian city, there may be some places that will offer Taco Tuesdays, so that's an extra bonus.
Well one would be remiss to pass up the chance of discounted tacos that's for sure. Enjoying Vancouver, but sitting a dog has it's drawbacks as we don't feel comfortable leaving him alone for any longer than 3-4 hours but we have taken him to some great sites, which gives us some insight as to what life would be with our dog.

Thanks Oink
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bathexpats
Well one would be remiss to pass up the chance of discounted tacos that's for sure. Enjoying Vancouver, but sitting a dog has it's drawbacks as we don't feel comfortable leaving him alone for any longer than 3-4 hours but we have taken him to some great sites, which gives us some insight as to what life would be with our dog.

Thanks Oink
There are dog beaches around. Although I'd wait until low tide. I'd enjoy today as the weather is going back to being crappy for the rest of the week.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the positive input to those who had sensible things to contribute.

My wife and I arrived in Canada and had our documentation signed and stamped and are officially canadian residents. Wed did very very well with our house sale, and it's given us a massive cushion to come out here for several months and explore each place thorough before making a final decision.

With the help of TrustedHouseSitters.com we have had some great experiences of seeing what everyday life has been like living in certain places looking after someones dog or cat. It's given us a good flavor of what living in a particular place is like.

At present we are in Vancouver (weather is obviously milder here than out East) and are enjoying a penthouse view out of a software company owners posh apartment over BC Place. It's been very helpful, and in the first week taught us we can't live in the mix of a major city. Also we are extremely priced out of buying a home here.

Next we are onto Vancouver Island with a house sit in Sooke looking after a cat, and then Victoria for a week. From there we are going to Winnipeg having ruled out places like Kelowna, Kamloops, Calgary, Regina. After there we have a long house sit in Collingwood Ontario, and I have also managed to track down a long lost 1st cousin once removed (40 years my senior) living in Owen Sound Ontario who emigrated there in the 80's. From there we will explore New Brunswick briefly and then Nova Scotia, before flying home to collect the last of our belongings, and our dog before moving back. We have plenty of time to find somewhere to live when we get back.

Looking forward still to exploring the areas between London, ON and Windsor, ON a bit more thoroughly.
That really is an excellent way of gaining experience at little expense (other than flights and food etc., of course) - what a brilliant way of having a recce and visiting different places! There's also https://www.housecarers.com/advanced...d-housesit.cfm (and I'm sure others).

I think this is a great idea for people to do if they are unsure on exactly where they would like to live.

Well done you!
Old Mar 30th 2018, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

bathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond reputebathexpats has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are coming to the end of our recce trip and have now seen Windsor or the outskirts anyway. We drove from Sarnia in the morning and had a look around Chatham-Kent. From there we drove to Belle River (lovely) Tecumseh, and just followed the road the lakes edge of Windsor (and drove around the inner city), down through LaSalle, Amherstberg, Kingsville, Leamington and then up to London.

Although it definitely isn't as nice as some parts of Canada we have seen, I definitely think people should not comment on a place unless they have recently seen it. So many Canadians have told us it's a dump, don't go there, waste of time. From what we could see it isn't anywhere near as bad as some areas of Ontario we have seen, not by a long shot.

Some of the surrounding areas like Belle River, Kingsville are really pretty places that aren't to long a commute to Windsor. I wasn't expecting a hell hole and it isn't anything close to that. Sarnia was definitely closer to that description. We saw Windsor on an utterly disgusting day of bad rain and thick fog and I imagine in sunshine it looks a lot prettier.

So far on this recce we have seen tons of Vancouver, and done house sits in White Rock, downtown, Harrison Springs, seen North Vancouver, Coquitlam etc

We have seen a ton of Vancouver Island and done house sits in Victoria and Sooke. Most of Calgary over two trips now. We've been to Winnipeg (long story) and most of middle and lower Ontario. So Niagara on the lake, Crystal Beach, Hamilton, Burlington, Brantford, Kitchener, Guelph, Cambridge, London, Chatham-Kent, Windsor, Sarnia, all up lake Huron to Tobemory, Owen Sound, Meaford, Collingwood, Barrie, Orillia, Midland, Wasaga Beach, Ajax, tons of Toronto.

In short Windsor isn't that bad and although our hearts are definitely in Vancouver Island still, anyone reading this should not be put off by Windsor, for climate, views of water, proximity to the states, reasonable work opportunities, affordable beautiful housing in the outskirts, it has enough going for it to call it home depending on your preferences.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 2:52 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

I definitely think people should not comment on a place unless they have recently seen it. So many Canadians have told us it's a dump, don't go there, waste of time. From what we could see it isn't anywhere near as bad as some areas of Ontario we have seen, not by a long shot.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 2:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely think people should not comment on a place unless they have recently seen it.
Or even actually spent time there.

A lot of these things are kind of confirmation bias.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 11:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Windsor has had a good reputation on this board for a long time. Biiiink moved there (admittedly from Winnipeg) and spoke highly of the place.

I've been there several times through a complicated family connection and think that it's fabulous to be able to have a house on a big river for not very much money. I don't think there's very much there but small town Canada is like that.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 11:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Windsor has had a good reputation on this board
I assumed Bathexpats was speaking generally about commenting on "a place" rather than Windsor or anywhere specific.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 12:21 am
Just Joined

BritBC is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Victoria for a few years so happy to help with any questions about the island if I can
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 1:22 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Very very true but unfortunately people love to bash a place having just driven through it or listened to the news or someone.

Downtown Detroit is another place that gets a bad rep. Had Easter dinner at Red Smoke BBQ right next door to Wahlburgers - Many people in Windsor and the surrounding areas go and support the Detroit Tigers, Lions and Pistons all located in the Downtown area.

Give me Downtown Detroit every day over Downtown Windsor for a evening/night out...
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 2:05 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by manningl
Downtown Detroit is another place that gets a bad rep
I've never been but I've heard it's...

Old Apr 2nd 2018, 2:14 pm
Lovin it!

I've never been but I've heard it's...

Old Apr 2nd 2018, 5:41 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by manningl
...people love to bash a place having just driven through it or listened to the news or someone.

Downtown Detroit is another place that gets a bad rep...
NS is also a great example of that. People who live there experience nice weather (mostly) while others seem to "know" something quite different.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Certainly in this thread I was referring to Windsor

I haven't been to NS yet, although I've heard very mixed reviews, I've learned nothing should deter you from going and finding out for yourself if you are able. Obviously it's not always that easy, granted.

We have loved Vancouver Island, but as many people point out, 'BC' stands for bring cash!
Old Apr 6th 2018, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Have you heard about the planned high speed rail link between Windsor and Toronto?

I'm not sure it's altogether a good idea, but it might invigorate the Windsor economy and inflate house prices a bit.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/high-speed-rail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.