British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/will-you-still-emigrate-when-canadian-recession-kicks-733741/)

cheeky_monkey Sep 27th 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9645191)
why don't you sell vauxhalls in canada!

There is obviously a gap in the market here..so if you get fed up cleaning toilets..why not sell those vauxhalls in Canada???

trevorandjo york Sep 27th 2011 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 9645232)
There is obviously a gap in the market here..so if you get fed up cleaning toilets..why not sell those vauxhalls in Canada???

What, clean up cr@p or cleanup with a pile of cr@p:)

YoshiPal2010 Sep 28th 2011 12:14 am

Don't forget, this being Canada you will probably need a certificate in "toilet sanitisation and fumigation!

Blendin Sep 28th 2011 12:46 am

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9645134)
Oh yes, forgot to mention that for every 93 graduates this year, only 1 graduate job. Sure I will send my kids to University in UK, they then will have £40k of debt and will be competing with eastern Europeans for jobs on farms..

We are coming, I will pay my taxes, my children will get educated and they will have a future. When I get there I will defend canada with my life

http://aol.theglobeandmail.com/servl...DEGREES0926ATL

By JAMES BRADSHAW

Monday, September 26, 2011

"Is a bachelor's degree going to pay off? It's a question students and parents want answered before investing thousands in tuition fees, but Canadian universities can offer no firm guarantee of a return on investment in that expensive piece of paper.

On average, Canadian university graduates do well over a career, earning a hefty premium above those with only secondary education. But nearly one in five - more than any other country in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) - still wind up at the low end of the income scale."

Blendin Sep 28th 2011 12:52 am

I love being an accountant, you all need to get real - we're doomed Capt Mannering..now get your stuff packed and i'll see you in Canada or Oz.

what hope when our kids can't get jobs, what will they do.

Oversupply of bean counters in Canada (Ontario) ?

http://www.icao.on.ca/admissions/reg...page11205.aspx

"In recognition of the difficulty that a significant number of otherwise qualified individuals may be having in securing employment in a CA Training Office (CATO)"

Piff Poff Sep 28th 2011 1:01 am

Originally Posted by familyof4 (Post 9644554)
Yes were moving, 2013 is our target, because of how long it takes to get my passport, kids citizenship cards and hubby's visa.

I will work in any field doing any job, I'm not bothered if I can carry on doing accounts, or clean toilets a jobs a job if it means I don't have to live In The uk anymore!

Originally Posted by Blendin (Post 9645339)
http://aol.theglobeandmail.com/servl...DEGREES0926ATL

By JAMES BRADSHAW

Monday, September 26, 2011

"Is a bachelor's degree going to pay off? It's a question students and parents want answered before investing thousands in tuition fees, but Canadian universities can offer no firm guarantee of a return on investment in that expensive piece of paper.

On average, Canadian university graduates do well over a career, earning a hefty premium above those with only secondary education. But nearly one in five - more than any other country in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) - still wind up at the low end of the income scale."

I have no idea what schooling in the UK costs these days, but we have just been to a scholarship information night at the local college - NOT A UNI a course can cost roughly $4500 for tuition, $2000 for books and Fees $7000 for a year a Bachelor of Science is running at around $6k p.a., this is without parking and accommodation. My friend is doing a hair dressing course, it's costing her $13k:eek:

AND you seem to have to have a degree here to be able to answer a telephone.

It amazes me still how people think it's so much different here. there is a positivity that seems to be lacking in the UK, but life is/can be hard and entry level and minimum wage jobs get old after a while, even if it does help bring in the pennies.

I wouldn't discourage anyone to try the different lifestyle, ultimately that's what we came for and we didn't spend years thinking about the whole thing either there is a lot to be said for job satisfaction though, OH have traded places in this area during the whole experience.

el_richo Sep 28th 2011 5:30 am

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9645102)
What an amazing thread, we were discussing his very thing this weekend, both of us have great jobs, house almost paid off, kids at good schools and doing well so why are we taking the risk, who would believe it, moving to another country without a job (assuming we get PR) or moving on a TWP and risk losing our jobs here and there, well, let me tell you why......

Canada had resources, land, and fiscal reserves. Sure, US has big problems, but, Canada is not totally reliant on the US. The Can$ will continue to strengthen against the £ and many other currencies, the Euro is doomed and is built on foundations of sand.

The UK has totally flawed economic and immigration policies that are unsustainable and the only thing that can save UK is hyper inflation this will de-value the debt (Government and Private). That however will devalue the currency and therefore will hit any exports we have. The oil has been pi##ed up the wall and we let anyone in who is from the greater EU and beyond. You prove that those from Afghan, Iraq and libya most African countries, pakistan and almost everywhere else is not a genuine asylum seeker and is not being persecuted. The Government (us taxpayers)is also funding them. And I can go on and on and I probebly will. UK is sunk, we (Jo and I) are in the top 5% of net earners in this country, but, with totally ineffectual policies, EU, benefits that encourage not one, but two generations to become professional scroungers - No wonder we want a level playing field, we see it in canada and australia and we will move.

Watch those that are successful in the UK, succeed overseas, you did it and many will work to ensure a better life for their families, UK is sunk!

As a previous poster stated, sh1t everywhere, however, there is more of it here.

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9645157)
We are not moving to avoid immigrants, we are becoming immigrants, if you have skills use them, who is to say our posts here are secure, they are not.

I totally agree with asylum seekers, I agree with skilled economic migrants, they are excellent news for the receiving country, but the UK does not have anyway of restricting migrants from other EU countries, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bosnia, greece, ---Coming soon - Turkey. We do no have the room. They are doing, what we are doing, except many of them do not have mobile skills. Yet they go to the schools use the Global Health System (NHS) and this all costs money.

Oh yes, before i trained as an accountant, i was a Private soldier - I cleaned toilets day in day out, I will work doing whatever it takes to ensure that my family has a better life, plan to succeed and you will succeed. Plan to fail with no plan to correct that position and you will fail. Get your bags packed.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that for every 93 graduates this year, only 1 graduate job. Sure I will send my kids to University in UK, they then will have £40k of debt and will be competing with eastern Europeans for jobs on farms..

We are coming, I will pay my taxes, my children will get educated and they will have a future. When I get there I will defend canada with my life

Incidentally, when inflation soars, so will interest rates, so will defaulting on mortgages, negitive equity and repo's.

I love being an accountant, you all need to get real - we're doomed Capt Mannering..now get your stuff packed and i'll see you in Canada or Oz.

Oh yes, there is more, remember when the correspondants during the uprising said, in Egypt, 25% of 18 to 25's are unemployed, it is the same here!!!!!! I doubt we will have an uprising, but, what hope when our kids can't get jobs, what will they do.

We have a winner :thumbsup:

januarymix Sep 28th 2011 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 9644763)
In my case it was mainly for sex, but having to clean toilets for the priviledge of it would certainly have dampened my ardour.;)

:lol: Cheeky !

johnh009 Sep 28th 2011 7:22 am

The UK has totally flawed economic and immigration policies that are unsustainable and the only thing that can save UK is hyper inflation this will de-value the debt (Government and Private). That however will devalue the currency and therefore will hit any exports we have. The oil has been pi##ed up the wall and we let anyone in who is from the greater EU and beyond. You prove that those from Afghan, Iraq and libya most African countries, pakistan and almost everywhere else is not a genuine asylum seeker and is not being persecuted. The Government (us taxpayers)is also funding them. And I can go on and on and I probebly will. UK is sunk, we (Jo and I) are in the top 5% of net earners in this country, but, with totally ineffectual policies, EU, benefits that encourage not one, but two generations to become professional scroungers - No wonder we want a level playing field, we see it in canada and australia and we will move.

And you think that Canada has no scroungers? As for immigration, been to Toronto recently?

januarymix Sep 28th 2011 7:29 am

Good discussion, guys. No matter the emotion, its informative and helpful. And to those wishing to move, Good Luck with it all.

floats.

Londonuck Sep 28th 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 9645643)
And you think that Canada has no scroungers? As for immigration, been to Toronto recently?

Oi, i said i'd gone back to Battersea.

christmasoompa Sep 28th 2011 9:46 am

And you seriously think Canada will be any different? If you can't afford to pay your kid's uni fees in the UK, then you won't be able to in Canada either. The course my husband wanted to do was $30k a year just for tuition.

Sorry, but your arguments seem very naive (more immigrants in Canada than the UK etc), hence the amusement of everybody. I'd suggest you wait a while and see if you think the UK is still rubbish when you've spent a year or two in Canada and discovered that the same problems are everywhere. It may surprise you, but unemployment, high levels of debt and immigration are not issues that belong solely to the UK. If you ever wanted a change from accountancy, may I suggest becoming a journalist for the Daily Mail? I think you'd fit right in. ;):lol:

Move for the love of the country you are immigrating to, not the perceived negatives of the one you've left behind.

trevorandjo york Sep 28th 2011 10:26 am

We all have choices to make in this life, it helps if one has a balanced view of the situation from where you are and to where you are going.

I put this to you all, if your government agreed to allow all North American people (Mexico to Canada) to move freely without visa or work permits, irrespective of whether they were skilled or not, allowing free use of an enhanced medicare and education system free of charge, and you were not given the opportunity to vote on the process, would you be happy? This is what we have in Europe right now, I can't see it improving in a hurry either.

On top of this, any migrant that lands in any of these countries from outside of the EU and is processed (Asylum seekers for example), they then can move freely between member states, and depending on what is on offer from the member states to these migrants, this will sway where they move to, ( UK is quite generous) you may start to see a problem emerging.

Sure you have problems in other countries, and if you live in leafy parts of Berkshire or little bubbles like York, you are less likely to see these problems daily. But speak to the man who has had to deal with daily life in the less affluent parts of UK and you will get a view that perhaps, is more like mine.

Ridiculing someones view does not help, it is my opinion and in a free world it is something I treasure, my life, my opinion. Now, back to my original post, we have discussed the situation and consider it worth the risk, it is not your life, it is ours.

dbd33 Sep 28th 2011 10:30 am

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9645834)
I put this to you all, if your government agreed to allow all North American people (Mexico to Canada) to move freely without visa or work permits, irrespective of whether they were skilled or not, allowing free use of an enhanced medicare and education system free of charge, and you were not given the opportunity to vote on the process, would you be happy? This is what we have in Europe right now, I can't see it improving in a hurry either.

NAFTA in various forms has been beaten around for years. The US is opposed because they fear a wave of Canadians flooding their country.

iaink Sep 28th 2011 12:42 pm

Canada is not totally reliant on the US. .

Thats an interesting statement. Im not sure I agree. Maybe not "totally" reliant, but certainly "very heavily".

Im with the others Im afraid, I think you are being naive about the realities of both the economics and emigration. Try before you buy if you can.

Tangram Sep 28th 2011 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9646005)
Thats an interesting statement. Im not sure I agree. Maybe not "totally" reliant, but certainly "very heavily".

Im with the others Im afraid, I think you are being naive about the realities of both the economics and emigration. Try before you buy if you can.

Wonder what happened to their Australia aspirations ?

cheeky_monkey Sep 28th 2011 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9645834)
We all have choices to make in this life, it helps if one has a balanced view of the situation from where you are and to where you are going.

On top of this, any migrant that lands in any of these countries from outside of the EU and is processed (Asylum seekers for example), they then can move freely between member states, and depending on what is on offer from the member states to these migrants, this will sway where they move to, ( UK is quite generous) you may start to see a problem emerging.

Sure you have problems in other countries, and if you live in leafy parts of Berkshire or little bubbles like York, you are less likely to see these problems daily. But speak to the man who has had to deal with daily life in the less affluent parts of UK and you will get a view that perhaps, is more like mine.

Ridiculing someones view does not help, it is my opinion and in a free world it is something I treasure, my life, my opinion. Now, back to my original post, we have discussed the situation and consider it worth the risk, it is not your life, it is ours.

I dont think anybody really cares where you choose to live..i think people are just offering the benefit of their own experiences of living in Canada having lived in the UK..bascially saying Canada isnt the glowing paradise that people think and the UK is not the dung heap of the world.

ergyngfeld Sep 28th 2011 1:38 pm

the mineral exploration industry is booming and probably will continue to do so during the recession, since people will always need metals! however should that industry ever dry up i would probably go back to my home county and run a pub or a cider press or something, if i could manage it. i wouldn't want to stay in canada if i couldn't do a job like the one i do now.

iaink Sep 28th 2011 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 9646070)
I dont think anybody really cares where you choose to live..i think people are just offering the benefit of their own experiences of living in Canada having lived in the UK..bascially saying Canada isnt the glowing paradise that people think and the UK is not the dung heap of the world.

Thats pretty much it.

Tangram Sep 28th 2011 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9646083)
Thats pretty much it.

And people on here, from long experience, should know better that that is not what people are looking for.

iaink Sep 28th 2011 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9646097)
And people on here, from long experience, should know better that that is not what people are looking for.

Yup, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink.

januarymix Sep 28th 2011 2:09 pm

Perspectives differ but I'd always thought it very nice for people to share their learnings etc and shared in a community spirit. But I think the poster is just a bit unhappy now with the way things are and takes it a different way. Good wishes to everyone on their own travels.

Atlantic Xpat Sep 28th 2011 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9646005)

I'd use "utterly reliant. As that Mr2005 pointed out somewhere, even the demand that comes from China ultimately arises from the US. A US recession will be a very bad thing for Canada.

trevorandjo york Sep 28th 2011 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9646105)
Yup, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink.

Ok, lets look at the title of the thread from the OP.

Answer: Yes. I will still migrate to Canada. If we are unsuccessful we will go to Oz.
I never asked for advice on the matter in this thread, but plenty still keep giving it, if I need advice, I will open a thread or search for an existing one that answers the query. Thank you everyone, Trevor takes a bow, turns left, and exits stage right.

Steve_ Sep 28th 2011 2:30 pm

That's not what you have in Europe right now, the Schengen Agreement and various other treaties make it clear that countries can return people who are economic migrants who are simply sponging off social services back to where they came from, even inside the EU. (And the UK and Ireland aren't even members of Schengen).

NAFTA does provide that many skilled workers can move between the member countries to work, however it is not a directly comparable situation because the US does not have a govt. run healthcare system per se.

The country that objects to free movement of labour is the US, not Canada and Mexico. Canada is a little bit worried about Mexicans coming in and overwhelming the healthcare system but I doubt if the US proposed a treaty on free movement of labour that Canada would object to a bilateral treaty.

We've had various threads on here about how hard it is to get Americans to move to Canada, because Americans often have a distorted view of Canada, plus the housing costs here put them off.

Steve_ Sep 28th 2011 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by helcat12 (Post 9644719)
Is money the only reason any of the old hands on here moved to Canada?

No, it wasn't a major factor for me, although the low taxes in Alberta did appeal. When people ask me why I moved to Canada that is a long list of reasons, I would never permanently move somewhere else just because one thing annoyed me, it was a culmination of a long list of reasons. I agree with what a lot of oink said about the culture but it wasn't just that. As I recall Oink said he's a US citizen and studied in the US - I lived in the US a long time as well and I felt totally out of place in the UK although I grew up there.

I'm sort of inbetween being an American and a Brit I think which is where Canada is, so I'm happier here, to cut a long story short.

Actually I'm a lot happier here then I ever thought I would be, I never even vaguely consider the idea of moving back to Europe. Makes me shudder.

My observation on British people is that the British are the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about, which I suppose is an observation that could be levelled quite frequently about posters on this forum, but I'm sure it is some underlying result of living on an island. Basically the mindset that led to Britain having an Empire - "we know better than you".

dgagitw Sep 28th 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9645838)
NAFTA in various forms has been beaten around for years. The US is opposed because they fear a wave of Canadians flooding their country.

Hmmm, if 10% of the 35M Canadians moved to the US at once, that would increase the US population by 1%....can't see they would care that much. I'm inclined to think that Americans taking up residence in Canada in order to obtain healthcare in extremis would likely be more of an issue, but even then not a major one.

dbd33 Sep 28th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 9646176)
We've had various threads on here about how hard it is to get Americans to move to Canada, because Americans often have a distorted view of Canada, plus the housing costs here put them off.

The housing costs? Maybe if you're trying to get people to move from rural Texas to Vancouver. I'd put the weather way before that on the list of reasons why people don't want to move north.

dbd33 Sep 28th 2011 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 9646195)
Hmmm, if 10% of the 35M Canadians moved to the US at once, that would increase the US population by 1%....can't see they would care that much. I'm inclined to think that Americans taking up residence in Canada in order to obtain healthcare in extremis would likely be more of an issue, but even then not a major one.

I didn't say it was a rational fear. In fact, in drawing an implied parallel between Romanians and Canadians, I was trying to show that irrational fear is an important factor in consideration of immigration policies in North America as well as in Europe.

Aviator Sep 28th 2011 3:07 pm

As soon as the southern US dries up, is uninhabitable and water is short, Americans won't be going south.

Alan2005 Sep 28th 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 9646188)
My observation on British people is that the British are the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about, which I suppose is an observation that could be levelled quite frequently about posters on this forum

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye...

Do you read other forums? Being opinionated on the internet transcends nationality.

MikeUK Sep 28th 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 9646241)
As soon as the southern US dries up, is uninhabitable and water is short, Americans won't be going south.

yep the bad news for us will be that we will become warmer

I suspect that the US will suggest a shared economic union similar to Europe with proportional representation, bye bye sovereignty, bye bye provinces, hello new states
Long live the united states of North America (USNA)

trevorandjo york Sep 28th 2011 3:17 pm

My observation on British people is that the British are the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about, which I suppose is an observation that could be levelled quite frequently about posters on this forum, but I'm sure it is some underlying result of living on an island. Basically the mindset that led to Britain having an Empire - "we know better than you".

It sound like an opinion to me..

iaink Sep 28th 2011 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 9646261)
yep the bad news for us will be that we will become warmer

I suspect that the US will suggest a shared economic union similar to Europe with proportional representation, bye bye sovereignty, bye bye provinces, hello new states
Long live the united states of North America (USNA)

But canadians hate the USA and love to point out the differences between "us and them", so would never agree to it...

Quite what the US would do then is anyones guess, but its not going to be pretty.

MikeUK Sep 28th 2011 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9646262)
But canadians hate the USA and love to point out the differences between "us and them", so would never agree to it...

Quite what the US would do then is anyones guess, but its not going to be pretty.

I don't think they'd ask us to agree, simply shuting down trade would suffice!

Steve_ Sep 28th 2011 4:26 pm

can't see they would care that much.

A lot of Americans still think the 9/11 attackers came through Canada - they're incredibly paranoid and xenophobic, e.g. http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/08...near-victoria/

cheeky_monkey Sep 28th 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9646262)

The English hate the French..well pretty much everyone in Europe hates the French but we still ended up all in the EU...needs must and all that.

Oink Sep 28th 2011 4:31 pm

No, it wasn't a major factor for me, although the low taxes in Alberta did appeal. When people ask me why I moved to Canada that is a long list of reasons, I would never permanently move somewhere else just because one thing annoyed me, it was a culmination of a long list of reasons. I agree with what a lot of oink said about the culture but it wasn't just that. As I recall Oink said he's a US citizen and studied in the US - I lived in the US a long time as well and I felt totally out of place in the UK although I grew up there.

I'm sort of inbetween being an American and a Brit I think which is where Canada is, so I'm happier here, to cut a long story short.

Actually I'm a lot happier here then I ever thought I would be, I never even vaguely consider the idea of moving back to Europe. Makes me shudder.

That was meant to be tongue in cheek with a quote from Jimmy Carter's so-called 1979 Malaise speech.

Steve_ Sep 28th 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9646216)
The housing costs? Maybe if you're trying to get people to move from rural Texas to Vancouver. I'd put the weather way before that on the list of reasons why people don't want to move north.

Look at the housing prices in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary etc. and compare them with most of the US. I'm not saying it's universally the case but it is often brought up as an issue when trying to get Americans to move here. Obviously it's not as bad as NYC but compare say, Washington to BC. Detroit/Buffalo/Rochester to southern Ontario.

One of my pet peeves frankly is getting people from all around the world to move to Canada and not making enough of an effort to get Americans to move here, some of the stuff I hear coming out of the Alberta immigration minister about going over to Germany/UK to get welders and heavy-duty mechanics and bus/train drivers - surely there are plenty of them in the US who need work?

But Americans apparently don't like moving here, if you look at the CIC breakdown for grants of permits and permanent residency very few of them do.

From their perspective it's a lot of paperwork to live on the other side of a line on a map and then you've got a higher cost of living, mortgage as well so that's the problem.

Still, given the state of their economy, healthcare and public education system, you'd think there'd be more of a chance at present.

Steve_ Sep 28th 2011 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9646263)
It sound like an opinion to me..

Which is what an observation is.