British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/will-you-still-emigrate-when-canadian-recession-kicks-733741/)

el_richo Sep 29th 2011 5:47 am

Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by woodworm (Post 9647268)
wow, this is one of the most sophisticated threads EVER on BE....
I mean everyone had to say something really intelligent..:thumbsup:

I was hoping for a few more arguments to be honest. I've not seen anybody pick on the fatties yet so......:fingerscrossed:

johnh009 Sep 29th 2011 6:46 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9647499)
I was hoping for a few more arguments to be honest. I've not seen anybody pick on the fatties yet so......:fingerscrossed:

Actually, I used to think that North America was the land of the Fatties but for anyone having been to the UK recently, they will have seen them everywhere. They reckon that Type B diabetes is a ticking time bomb there. The people in the UK have the third highest body mass index in the World.

januarymix Sep 29th 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by woodworm (Post 9647268)
wow, this is one of the most sophisticated threads EVER on BE....
I mean everyone had to say something really intelligent..:thumbsup:

:lol::thumbup:

januarymix Sep 29th 2011 9:03 am

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 9647544)
Actually, I used to think that North America was the land of the Fatties but for anyone having been to the UK recently, they will have seen them everywhere. They reckon that Type B diabetes is a ticking time bomb there. The people in the UK have the third highest body mass index in the World.

Australia is not far behind apparently, or maybe even in front now.... :huh:

trevorandjo york Sep 29th 2011 9:40 am

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 9647544)

Yep, we're putting on the fat so we are ready for the Canadian winters.

familyof4 Sep 29th 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9647728)

:rofl::thumbsup: I love it thats my new excuse!! :eek:

iaink Sep 29th 2011 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9647203)
OK, we shall leave it there then, you, obviously, have me well and truly beaten;)

There are no winners when people argue on the internet, only losers. You know that;)

johnh009 Sep 29th 2011 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9647728)

And you will be pushing up the cost of the air fares to get here:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...e-tickets.html

Atlantic Xpat Sep 29th 2011 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9647962)
There are no winners when people argue on the internet, only losers. You know that;)

Has anyone accused someone else of being a Nazi yet?

iaink Sep 29th 2011 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york (Post 9646927)
Does it matter if the gap is $10 or $10m, is this the trigger? More important to keep people busy, keep them working, fed and well. Best you don't go looking at the big houses up the street, they just need more maint. That of course would keep you off this site though..

A man went to his bank manager and said, 'I'd like to start a small business. How do I go about it?'
'Simple,' said the bank manager. 'Buy a big one and wait.'

Recession started yet?

Just 400 of the wealthiest Americans now have more between them than the combined assets of the bottom 50% of the rest of the population, 400 vs 155000000. Its a staggering injustice. Wars and revolutions have occurred over far less.

Oink Sep 29th 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9648215)
Just 400 of the wealthiest Americans now have more between them than the combined assets of the bottom 50% of the rest of the population, 400 vs 155000000. Its a staggering injustice. Wars and revolutions have occurred over far less.

Not in the US. The workers down there don't want to overthrow their bosses, they want to be the boss.

Almost Canadian Sep 29th 2011 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 9648215)

What is wrong with the wealth of Bill Gates? Doesn't he give huge amounts to his foundations/charities? Are you suggesting that he should give it to Government so that they can spend it on the military?

trevorandjo york Sep 29th 2011 3:22 pm

What do you want, more money, more time to yourself, stop spending your time on here and earn some money elsewhere! Perhaps then you would be in the elite 1%. Stop moaning about it, or, do something about it.

I take it some of you Canadians are just starting work in the office, should see more posts over the next 8 hours;)

Almost Canadian Sep 29th 2011 3:24 pm

A couple of different views:

Yesterday on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read "Vote Obama, I need the money." I laughed.

Once in the restaurant my server had on an "Obama 08" tie, again I laughed as he had given away his political preference--just imagine the coincidence.

When the bill came I decided not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief while I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside. The server angrily stormed from my sight.

I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy was grateful.

At the end of my rather unscientific redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn even though the actual recipient deserved money more.

I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.

AND ANOTHER

Father - Daughter Talk ----A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school. Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is you friend Audrey doing?" She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus, college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."
Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it t o your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

;):D

iaink Sep 29th 2011 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9648238)
What is wrong with the wealth of Bill Gates? Doesn't he give huge amounts to his foundations/charities? Are you suggesting that he should give it to Government so that they can spend it on the military?

Here we go again.

No, Im suggesting that the wealthy should for starters pay the same % tax overall that the middle and low income earners do. As it is they pay about half as much because their income is not derived from "employment". I just want a level playing field for all.

Government will spend money as governments do, but it will take some of the onus off those that can least afford it and that will change their quality of life for the better. The super wealthies quality of life wont change one iota.

The way that taxation and financial regulation has changed in the last 30-40 years in order to favour the super wealthy is an absolute scandal, with extremely widespread implications. Just look at your history books if you think that any great civilisation will last forever.