Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
The gap between rich and poor has always been wide, only now the poor expect more. Once, food alone made you better off than most, what is the measure now?

back on track...

Anyway flower, i am glad your life is better in Canada, hope you're looking forward to the winter, do you ski, skate or hibernate to avoid the permafrost?
The gap has never been wider, its about 20 times larger than it was in the 90s, and if nothing is done there is a danger that it will tear society apart sooner or later.

Currently the wealthiest 1% control assets in excess of the combined weight of the lowest 90%. I have no desire to live in a plutonomy.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 29th 2011 at 3:07 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Tell that to two of my closest friends, one a Muslim and the other a Jew and married to each other

They're very happy together so it could happen!
Don't doubt it, they have common agenda....
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it matter if the gap is $10 or $10m, is this the trigger? More important to keep people busy, keep them working, fed and well. Best you don't go looking at the big houses up the street, they just need more maint. That of course would keep you off this site though..

A man went to his bank manager and said, 'I'd like to start a small business. How do I go about it?'
'Simple,' said the bank manager. 'Buy a big one and wait.'

Recession started yet?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

angelfire37 is an unknown quantity at this point

My answer is yes i will go for it. If you can survive the bad times then the good times will be oh so sweet
Steve
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:19 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the War of 1812, when the Americans were attempting to invade Canada, they cooled off rapidly on the idea of integrating Canada into the US.

At that time, the slave states were worried the balance of power would change in the north's favour. They also didn't like the fact that Quebec was Catholic and French-speaking.

I'm wondering if similar considerations would apply today? Absorbing a country with 10% of your population, most of whom are more 'liberal' than the average American in terms of social opinions and also more inclined to support bigger government could put the average 'merkan off.

I don't think the US would want to absorb Canada if they really thought about it, although perhaps a grab for oil and water might change things?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Back in the War of 1812, when the Americans were attempting to invade Canada, they cooled off rapidly on the idea of integrating Canada into the US.

At that time, the slave states were worried the balance of power would change in the north's favour. They also didn't like the fact that Quebec was Catholic and French-speaking.

I'm wondering if similar considerations would apply today? Absorbing a country with 10% of your population, most of whom are more 'liberal' than the average American in terms of social opinions and also more inclined to support bigger government could put the average 'merkan off.

I don't think the US would want to absorb Canada if they really thought about it, although perhaps a grab for oil and water might change things?
What is an average American? Michael Moore, Barrack Obama, etc.

What is an average Canadian? Sandford Big Plume, Stephen Harper, etc.

Can you see how baseless your post is?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:28 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What is an average American? Michael Moore, Barrack Obama, etc.

What is an average Canadian? Sandford Big Plume, Stephen Harper, etc.

Hmm. I think you are confusing individuals with societal attitudes. Possibly on purpose?

There's plenty of literature out there on social attitudes. If you look at the policies people support in each country (healthcare, taxation, gay rights, abortion and so on), it is clear that the people in one country are considerably to the left of people in the other.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:32 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

If you genuinely can't understand the point, I suggest Michael Adams' 'Fire and Ice: The United States, Canada and the Myth of Converging Values' Penguin (2003) as a good place to begin your education.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I think you are confusing individuals with societal attitudes. Possibly on purpose?

There's plenty of literature out there on social attitudes. If you look at the policies people support in each country (healthcare, taxation, gay rights, abortion and so on), it is clear that the people in one country are considerably to the left of people in the other.
Not at all. Please inform me what the difference is in the abortion laws of the US and Canada? There are people opposed to abortion in Canada, there are people opposed to abortion in Canada what, exactly, is your point?

You made the reference to the average American. So again, please explain what you mean by average American, even in a societal sense.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you genuinely can't understand the point, I suggest Michael Adams' 'Fire and Ice: The United States, Canada and the Myth of Converging Values' Penguin (2003) as a good place to begin your education.
With the very greatest of respect, I do not need to read a book to ascertain that there is no such thing as an average Canadian or an average American when one is discussing attitudes.

Please carry on patronizing posters
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. Please inform me what the difference is in the abortion laws of the US and Canada? There are people opposed to abortion in Canada, there are people opposed to abortion in Canada what, exactly, is your point?

You made the reference to the average American. So again, please explain what you mean by average American, even in a societal sense.
I don't have the answer to what the average american thinks about abortion because I haven't looked, but it's a pretty easy thing quantify by doing surveys. I think you are confused (probably deliberately if I know you) by the 'average american' view, this doesn't necessarily mean that this is what your typical american believes, just what society overall believes.

Say people were asked to rate their views on abortion from 1 (it's ok) to 5 (you'll burn in hell), you could have an average. I expect the average for the US to be higher than in Canada (though I don't know). The average for america might be 3.7 (again I don't knw), but as nobody can select 3.7 on the survey the person who has this view doesn't exist. However this doesn't mean the average value is meaningless, it tells you broadly what society believes even if it says nothing about any specific individual. For instance if Canada came in at 2.7 then you could say that the US has a harder line on abortion than Canada.

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 28th 2011 at 11:51 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't have the answer to what the average american thinks about abortion because I haven't looked, but it's a pretty easy thing quantify by doing surveys. I think you are confused by the 'average american' view, this doesn't necessarily mean that this is what your typical american believes, just what society overall believes.

Say people were asked to rate their views on abortion from 1 (it's ok) to 5 (you'll burn in hell), you could have an average. I expect the average for the US to be higher than in Canada (though I don't know). The average for america might be 3.7 (again I don't knw), but as nobody can select 3.7 on the survey the person who has this view doesn't exist. However this doesn't mean the average value is meaningless, it tells you broadly what society believes even if it says nothing about any specific individual. For instance if Canada came in at 2.7 then you could say that the US has a harder line on abortion than Canada.
I appreciate that and, again, I would ask for actual evidence that suggests that the average American has a more "right leaning" attitude to abortion (whatever that means) than that of the average Canadian.

Are we discussing the average Canadian that gave Harper a majority or the average Canadian that gave Trudeau a majority? Are we discussing the average American of the Bush era, or the FDR era?

Isn't it a bit like saying the all Irish are thick, all Australians are sexist, all Canadians are nice? It relies on cliche.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 28th 2011 at 11:57 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:01 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Isn't it a bit like saying the all Irish are thick, all Australians are sexist, all Canadians are nice? It relies on cliche.
No it isn't. And with respect, my patronizing post was in response to your needlessly aggressive one.

Anyway, that aside:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/6856/amer...-abortion.aspx

53% of Americans think abortion is morally wrong, 40% in Canada.

I could look for more stuff, but frankly, can`t be arsed given its a pretty obvious point.

Republicans and especially Tea Party are to the right of all but a tiny minority of Canadian politicians. If this isn`t evident to you, then OK.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No it isn't. And with respect, my patronizing post was in response to your needlessly aggressive one.

Anyway, that aside:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/6856/amer...-abortion.aspx

53% of Americans think abortion is morally wrong, 40% in Canada.

I could look for more stuff, but frankly, can`t be arsed given its a pretty obvious point.

Republicans and especially Tea Party are to the right of all but a tiny minority of Canadian politicians. If this isn`t evident to you, then OK.
OK, we shall leave it there then, you, obviously, have me well and truly beaten
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

wow, this is one of the most sophisticated threads EVER on BE....
I mean everyone had to say something really intelligent..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.