Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:53 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by johnh009
And you think that Canada has no scroungers? As for immigration, been to Toronto recently?
Oi, i said i'd gone back to Battersea.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
Oh yes, forgot to mention that for every 93 graduates this year, only 1 graduate job. Sure I will send my kids to University in UK, they then will have £40k of debt and will be competing with eastern Europeans for jobs on farms..
And you seriously think Canada will be any different? If you can't afford to pay your kid's uni fees in the UK, then you won't be able to in Canada either. The course my husband wanted to do was $30k a year just for tuition.

Sorry, but your arguments seem very naive (more immigrants in Canada than the UK etc), hence the amusement of everybody. I'd suggest you wait a while and see if you think the UK is still rubbish when you've spent a year or two in Canada and discovered that the same problems are everywhere. It may surprise you, but unemployment, high levels of debt and immigration are not issues that belong solely to the UK. If you ever wanted a change from accountancy, may I suggest becoming a journalist for the Daily Mail? I think you'd fit right in.

Move for the love of the country you are immigrating to, not the perceived negatives of the one you've left behind.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:26 am
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

We all have choices to make in this life, it helps if one has a balanced view of the situation from where you are and to where you are going.

I put this to you all, if your government agreed to allow all North American people (Mexico to Canada) to move freely without visa or work permits, irrespective of whether they were skilled or not, allowing free use of an enhanced medicare and education system free of charge, and you were not given the opportunity to vote on the process, would you be happy? This is what we have in Europe right now, I can't see it improving in a hurry either.

On top of this, any migrant that lands in any of these countries from outside of the EU and is processed (Asylum seekers for example), they then can move freely between member states, and depending on what is on offer from the member states to these migrants, this will sway where they move to, ( UK is quite generous) you may start to see a problem emerging.

Sure you have problems in other countries, and if you live in leafy parts of Berkshire or little bubbles like York, you are less likely to see these problems daily. But speak to the man who has had to deal with daily life in the less affluent parts of UK and you will get a view that perhaps, is more like mine.

Ridiculing someones view does not help, it is my opinion and in a free world it is something I treasure, my life, my opinion. Now, back to my original post, we have discussed the situation and consider it worth the risk, it is not your life, it is ours.

Last edited by trevorandjo york; Sep 28th 2011 at 10:48 am. Reason: whoops
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I put this to you all, if your government agreed to allow all North American people (Mexico to Canada) to move freely without visa or work permits, irrespective of whether they were skilled or not, allowing free use of an enhanced medicare and education system free of charge, and you were not given the opportunity to vote on the process, would you be happy? This is what we have in Europe right now, I can't see it improving in a hurry either.
NAFTA in various forms has been beaten around for years. The US is opposed because they fear a wave of Canadians flooding their country.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is not totally reliant on the US. .
Thats an interesting statement. Im not sure I agree. Maybe not "totally" reliant, but certainly "very heavily".

Im with the others Im afraid, I think you are being naive about the realities of both the economics and emigration. Try before you buy if you can.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:14 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats an interesting statement. Im not sure I agree. Maybe not "totally" reliant, but certainly "very heavily".

Im with the others Im afraid, I think you are being naive about the realities of both the economics and emigration. Try before you buy if you can.
Wonder what happened to their Australia aspirations ?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:32 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

We all have choices to make in this life, it helps if one has a balanced view of the situation from where you are and to where you are going.

On top of this, any migrant that lands in any of these countries from outside of the EU and is processed (Asylum seekers for example), they then can move freely between member states, and depending on what is on offer from the member states to these migrants, this will sway where they move to, ( UK is quite generous) you may start to see a problem emerging.

Sure you have problems in other countries, and if you live in leafy parts of Berkshire or little bubbles like York, you are less likely to see these problems daily. But speak to the man who has had to deal with daily life in the less affluent parts of UK and you will get a view that perhaps, is more like mine.

Ridiculing someones view does not help, it is my opinion and in a free world it is something I treasure, my life, my opinion. Now, back to my original post, we have discussed the situation and consider it worth the risk, it is not your life, it is ours.
I dont think anybody really cares where you choose to live..i think people are just offering the benefit of their own experiences of living in Canada having lived in the UK..bascially saying Canada isnt the glowing paradise that people think and the UK is not the dung heap of the world.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

the mineral exploration industry is booming and probably will continue to do so during the recession, since people will always need metals! however should that industry ever dry up i would probably go back to my home county and run a pub or a cider press or something, if i could manage it. i wouldn't want to stay in canada if i couldn't do a job like the one i do now.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I dont think anybody really cares where you choose to live..i think people are just offering the benefit of their own experiences of living in Canada having lived in the UK..bascially saying Canada isnt the glowing paradise that people think and the UK is not the dung heap of the world.
Thats pretty much it.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:51 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thats pretty much it.
And people on here, from long experience, should know better that that is not what people are looking for.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Tangram
And people on here, from long experience, should know better that that is not what people are looking for.
Yup, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Perspectives differ but I'd always thought it very nice for people to share their learnings etc and shared in a community spirit. But I think the poster is just a bit unhappy now with the way things are and takes it a different way. Good wishes to everyone on their own travels.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'd use "utterly reliant. As that Mr2005 pointed out somewhere, even the demand that comes from China ultimately arises from the US. A US recession will be a very bad thing for Canada.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink.
Ok, lets look at the title of the thread from the OP.

Answer: Yes. I will still migrate to Canada. If we are unsuccessful we will go to Oz.
I never asked for advice on the matter in this thread, but plenty still keep giving it, if I need advice, I will open a thread or search for an existing one that answers the query. Thank you everyone, Trevor takes a bow, turns left, and exits stage right.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

That's not what you have in Europe right now, the Schengen Agreement and various other treaties make it clear that countries can return people who are economic migrants who are simply sponging off social services back to where they came from, even inside the EU. (And the UK and Ireland aren't even members of Schengen).

NAFTA does provide that many skilled workers can move between the member countries to work, however it is not a directly comparable situation because the US does not have a govt. run healthcare system per se.

The country that objects to free movement of labour is the US, not Canada and Mexico. Canada is a little bit worried about Mexicans coming in and overwhelming the healthcare system but I doubt if the US proposed a treaty on free movement of labour that Canada would object to a bilateral treaty.

We've had various threads on here about how hard it is to get Americans to move to Canada, because Americans often have a distorted view of Canada, plus the housing costs here put them off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.