Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:14 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by Oink
These debates do tend to throw up the same positions that go around and around.
True.

I'm just trying to convince one person to reflect on whether immigrants and the EU are really good reasons to leave the UK, uprooting their family and risking considerable financial insecurity.

This is of course futile. Confirmation bias is a powerful thing.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not complaining as I love a bit of continuity and routine. Now it's time to walk the dogs and then eat some cake for my mid afternoon snack. Lovely.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Love your avatar, must look for one that has the same impact.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
True.

I'm just trying to convince one person to reflect on whether immigrants and the EU are really good reasons to leave the UK, uprooting their family and risking considerable financial insecurity.

I'm not complaining I just thought stating the obvious was easier than putting together a well reasoned and thoughtful argument, mainly because as its been noted, its that time when a cup of tea and a nice piece of cake will help stave off the need for a nap until going home time.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
True.

We have had plenty of time to reflect, there are clearly more to this than immigrants and the EU, do I have to write a book to show this? **** everywhere....

Good thread though. Beats what car shall I buy & why don't you sell vauxhalls in canada!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 28th 2011 at 9:38 am. Reason: If you need to replace letters with numbers to fool the swear filter, then it's still swearing!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:01 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
why don't you sell vauxhalls in canada!
There is obviously a gap in the market here..so if you get fed up cleaning toilets..why not sell those vauxhalls in Canada???
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
There is obviously a gap in the market here..so if you get fed up cleaning toilets..why not sell those vauxhalls in Canada???
What, clean up cr@p or cleanup with a pile of cr@p
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, this being Canada you will probably need a certificate in "toilet sanitisation and fumigation!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes, forgot to mention that for every 93 graduates this year, only 1 graduate job. Sure I will send my kids to University in UK, they then will have £40k of debt and will be competing with eastern Europeans for jobs on farms..

We are coming, I will pay my taxes, my children will get educated and they will have a future. When I get there I will defend canada with my life

http://aol.theglobeandmail.com/servl...DEGREES0926ATL

By JAMES BRADSHAW

Monday, September 26, 2011

"Is a bachelor's degree going to pay off? It's a question students and parents want answered before investing thousands in tuition fees, but Canadian universities can offer no firm guarantee of a return on investment in that expensive piece of paper.

On average, Canadian university graduates do well over a career, earning a hefty premium above those with only secondary education. But nearly one in five - more than any other country in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) - still wind up at the low end of the income scale."
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

I love being an accountant, you all need to get real - we're doomed Capt Mannering..now get your stuff packed and i'll see you in Canada or Oz.

what hope when our kids can't get jobs, what will they do.
Oversupply of bean counters in Canada (Ontario) ?

http://www.icao.on.ca/admissions/reg...page11205.aspx

"In recognition of the difficulty that a significant number of otherwise qualified individuals may be having in securing employment in a CA Training Office (CATO)"
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by familyof4
Yes were moving, 2013 is our target, because of how long it takes to get my passport, kids citizenship cards and hubby's visa.

I will work in any field doing any job, I'm not bothered if I can carry on doing accounts, or clean toilets a jobs a job if it means I don't have to live In The uk anymore!
Originally Posted by Blendin
http://aol.theglobeandmail.com/servl...DEGREES0926ATL

By JAMES BRADSHAW

Monday, September 26, 2011

"Is a bachelor's degree going to pay off? It's a question students and parents want answered before investing thousands in tuition fees, but Canadian universities can offer no firm guarantee of a return on investment in that expensive piece of paper.

On average, Canadian university graduates do well over a career, earning a hefty premium above those with only secondary education. But nearly one in five - more than any other country in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) - still wind up at the low end of the income scale."
I have no idea what schooling in the UK costs these days, but we have just been to a scholarship information night at the local college - NOT A UNI a course can cost roughly $4500 for tuition, $2000 for books and Fees $7000 for a year a Bachelor of Science is running at around $6k p.a., this is without parking and accommodation. My friend is doing a hair dressing course, it's costing her $13k

AND you seem to have to have a degree here to be able to answer a telephone.

It amazes me still how people think it's so much different here. there is a positivity that seems to be lacking in the UK, but life is/can be hard and entry level and minimum wage jobs get old after a while, even if it does help bring in the pennies.

I wouldn't discourage anyone to try the different lifestyle, ultimately that's what we came for and we didn't spend years thinking about the whole thing either there is a lot to be said for job satisfaction though, OH have traded places in this area during the whole experience.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:30 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

What an amazing thread, we were discussing his very thing this weekend, both of us have great jobs, house almost paid off, kids at good schools and doing well so why are we taking the risk, who would believe it, moving to another country without a job (assuming we get PR) or moving on a TWP and risk losing our jobs here and there, well, let me tell you why......

Canada had resources, land, and fiscal reserves. Sure, US has big problems, but, Canada is not totally reliant on the US. The Can$ will continue to strengthen against the £ and many other currencies, the Euro is doomed and is built on foundations of sand.

The UK has totally flawed economic and immigration policies that are unsustainable and the only thing that can save UK is hyper inflation this will de-value the debt (Government and Private). That however will devalue the currency and therefore will hit any exports we have. The oil has been pi##ed up the wall and we let anyone in who is from the greater EU and beyond. You prove that those from Afghan, Iraq and libya most African countries, pakistan and almost everywhere else is not a genuine asylum seeker and is not being persecuted. The Government (us taxpayers)is also funding them. And I can go on and on and I probebly will. UK is sunk, we (Jo and I) are in the top 5% of net earners in this country, but, with totally ineffectual policies, EU, benefits that encourage not one, but two generations to become professional scroungers - No wonder we want a level playing field, we see it in canada and australia and we will move.

Watch those that are successful in the UK, succeed overseas, you did it and many will work to ensure a better life for their families, UK is sunk!

As a previous poster stated, sh1t everywhere, however, there is more of it here.
We are not moving to avoid immigrants, we are becoming immigrants, if you have skills use them, who is to say our posts here are secure, they are not.

I totally agree with asylum seekers, I agree with skilled economic migrants, they are excellent news for the receiving country, but the UK does not have anyway of restricting migrants from other EU countries, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bosnia, greece, ---Coming soon - Turkey. We do no have the room. They are doing, what we are doing, except many of them do not have mobile skills. Yet they go to the schools use the Global Health System (NHS) and this all costs money.

Oh yes, before i trained as an accountant, i was a Private soldier - I cleaned toilets day in day out, I will work doing whatever it takes to ensure that my family has a better life, plan to succeed and you will succeed. Plan to fail with no plan to correct that position and you will fail. Get your bags packed.
Oh yes, forgot to mention that for every 93 graduates this year, only 1 graduate job. Sure I will send my kids to University in UK, they then will have £40k of debt and will be competing with eastern Europeans for jobs on farms..

We are coming, I will pay my taxes, my children will get educated and they will have a future. When I get there I will defend canada with my life

Incidentally, when inflation soars, so will interest rates, so will defaulting on mortgages, negitive equity and repo's.

I love being an accountant, you all need to get real - we're doomed Capt Mannering..now get your stuff packed and i'll see you in Canada or Oz.

Oh yes, there is more, remember when the correspondants during the uprising said, in Egypt, 25% of 18 to 25's are unemployed, it is the same here!!!!!! I doubt we will have an uprising, but, what hope when our kids can't get jobs, what will they do.
We have a winner
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In my case it was mainly for sex, but having to clean toilets for the priviledge of it would certainly have dampened my ardour.
Cheeky !
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

The UK has totally flawed economic and immigration policies that are unsustainable and the only thing that can save UK is hyper inflation this will de-value the debt (Government and Private). That however will devalue the currency and therefore will hit any exports we have. The oil has been pi##ed up the wall and we let anyone in who is from the greater EU and beyond. You prove that those from Afghan, Iraq and libya most African countries, pakistan and almost everywhere else is not a genuine asylum seeker and is not being persecuted. The Government (us taxpayers)is also funding them. And I can go on and on and I probebly will. UK is sunk, we (Jo and I) are in the top 5% of net earners in this country, but, with totally ineffectual policies, EU, benefits that encourage not one, but two generations to become professional scroungers - No wonder we want a level playing field, we see it in canada and australia and we will move.
And you think that Canada has no scroungers? As for immigration, been to Toronto recently?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Good discussion, guys. No matter the emotion, its informative and helpful. And to those wishing to move, Good Luck with it all.

floats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.