Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:33 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Apart from being more restrictive, setting the barriers to entry higher, how would you say the UK's immigration policy differs from that of Canada?
Guess it depends on whether you consider the EU and the free movement of persons - that's the major difference, no?

Now the UK has moved to a points based system for non-EU skilled workers, I'd assume that most immigration will either be family reunification (plenty of that in Canada), highly restrictive skilled worker visas (less restrictive in Canada) or intra-EU migration.

It baffles me that anyone would move countries to escape immigrants in their own country of course. Although I'd love for someone to explain the logic of that sometime...
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes, forgot to mention that for every 93 graduates this year, only 1 graduate job. Sure I will send my kids to University in UK, they then will have £40k of debt and will be competing with eastern Europeans for jobs on farms..

We are coming, I will pay my taxes, my children will get educated and they will have a future. When I get there I will defend canada with my life

Incidentally, when inflation soars, so will interest rates, so will defaulting on mortgages, negitive equity and repo's.

I love being an accountant, you all need to get real - we're doomed Capt Mannering..now get your stuff packed and i'll see you in Canada or Oz.

Oh yes, there is more, remember when the correspondants during the uprising said, in Egypt, 25% of 18 to 25's are unemployed, it is the same here!!!!!! I doubt we will have an uprising, but, what hope when our kids can't get jobs, what will they do.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:34 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
Canada had resources, land, and fiscal reserves. Sure, US has big problems, but, Canada is not totally reliant on the US. The Can$ will continue to strengthen against the £ and many other currencies, the Euro is doomed and is built on foundations of sand.
Canada does not have fiscal reserves. Federal debt is well over 0.5 trillian dollars, and god knows what provincial debt in is in total. Canada's consumer debt levels are the highest in the world - i.e individuals here on average owe more than those from any other nation.

Canada is more reliant on the US than people think. Resource exports to China are still mostly a proxy for US consumer demand. Though in the long term you are right - Canada's resources will help, but whether that helps you or me is another matter.

Last edited by Alan2005; Sep 27th 2011 at 9:37 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
It baffles me that anyone would move countries to escape immigrants in their own country of course. Although I'd love for someone to explain the logic of that sometime...
It's quite easy to explain. Immigrants are the wrong colour innit.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:41 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

There may be a lot of natural resources IN Canada, but who owns them?

I'm impressed by you both being in the top 5% earners in the UK (what do you both do?) and yet be willing to throw it all away and emigrate to a place like Canada.

I'm all for moving countries because you fancy a bit of an adventure or even just a change of scenery, but to emigrate just 'because the UK is rubbish'...? Bonkers.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
There may be a lot of natural resources IN Canada, but who owns them?

I'm impressed by you both being in the top 5% earners in the UK (what do you both do?) and yet be willing to throw it all away and emigrate to a place like Canada.

I'm all for moving countries because you fancy a bit of an adventure or even just a change of scenery, but to emigrate just 'because the UK is rubbish'...? Bonkers.
One of them is an accountant. Must be way better paid than any accountants I have ever met. Having said that, I have no idea how much one has to earn to be in the top 5% of earners in the UK these days. 60,000 a year if the doomsayers on here are to be believed
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:47 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

What an amazing thread, we were discussing his very thing this weekend, both of us have great jobs, house almost paid off, kids at good schools and doing well so why are we taking the risk, who would believe it, moving to another country without a job (assuming we get PR) or moving on a TWP and risk losing our jobs here and there, well, let me tell you why......

Canada had resources, land, and fiscal reserves. Sure, US has big problems, but, Canada is not totally reliant on the US. The Can$ will continue to strengthen against the £ and many other currencies, the Euro is doomed and is built on foundations of sand.

The UK has totally flawed economic and immigration policies that are unsustainable and the only thing that can save UK is hyper inflation this will de-value the debt (Government and Private). That however will devalue the currency and therefore will hit any exports we have. The oil has been pi##ed up the wall and we let anyone in who is from the greater EU and beyond. You prove that those from Afghan, Iraq and libya most African countries, pakistan and almost everywhere else is not a genuine asylum seeker and is not being persecuted. The Government (us taxpayers)is also funding them. And I can go on and on and I probebly will. UK is sunk, we (Jo and I) are in the top 5% of net earners in this country, but, with totally ineffectual policies, EU, benefits that encourage not one, but two generations to become professional scroungers - No wonder we want a level playing field, we see it in canada and australia and we will move.

Watch those that are successful in the UK, succeed overseas, you did it and many will work to ensure a better life for their families, UK is sunk!

As a previous poster stated, sh1t everywhere, however, there is more of it here.
Oh dear.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Guess it depends on whether you consider the EU and the free movement of persons - that's the major difference, no?

Now the UK has moved to a points based system for non-EU skilled workers, I'd assume that most immigration will either be family reunification (plenty of that in Canada), highly restrictive skilled worker visas (less restrictive in Canada) or intra-EU migration.

We are not moving to avoid immigrants, we are becoming immigrants, if you have skills use them, who is to say our posts here are secure, they are not.

I totally agree with asylum seekers, I agree with skilled economic migrants, they are excellent news for the receiving country, but the UK does not have anyway of restricting migrants from other EU countries, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bosnia, greece, ---Coming soon - Turkey. We do no have the room. They are doing, what we are doing, except many of them do not have mobile skills. Yet they go to the schools use the Global Health System (NHS) and this all costs money.

Oh yes, before i trained as an accountant, i was a Private soldier - I cleaned toilets day in day out, I will work doing whatever it takes to ensure that my family has a better life, plan to succeed and you will succeed. Plan to fail with no plan to correct that position and you will fail. Get your bags packed.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:51 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

<<< Just stands waving goodbye to posters' credibility
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:55 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

We are not moving to avoid immigrants, we are becoming immigrants
Plan to fail with no plan to correct that position and you will fail. Get your bags packed.
I've lived here for several years, so no need to pack my bags.

Has it occurred to you:

a) that some Canadians might view you in the same way that you view EU migrants?

b) that leaving a well-paid job to clean toilets might not be too sensible?

Again, I strongly suggest you try before you buy. Live here for a short while, don't do anything permanent and then see if you still feel the same way about the UK.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One of them is an accountant. Must be way better paid than any accountants I have ever met. Having said that, I have no idea how much one has to earn to be in the top 5% of earners in the UK these days. 60,000 a year if the doomsayers on here are to be believed
and wife is a nurse. We do alright and we will do alright in canada too. Oh yes, I also drive arctics for fun and loads of other stuff, i will get work, make sure you are multi skilled and ready, marrigold gloves at the ready, them bogs need cleaning and i'll do it if necessary.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tangram
<<< Just stands waving goodbye to posters' credibility
What do you do Tangram? Whatever it takes or just the same stuff everyday.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

I've lived here for several years, so no need to pack my bags.

Has it occurred to you:

a) that some Canadians might view you in the same way that you view EU migrants?

b) that leaving a well-paid job to clean toilets might not be too sensible?

Again, I strongly suggest you try before you buy. Live here for a short while, don't do anything permanent and then see if you still feel the same way about the UK.
Much sense here, like I stated, skilled economic migrants are good news to the receiving county, I am unlikely to clean bogs again, but will if I have to.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

These debates do tend to throw up the same positions that go around and around.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

It is not about me, it is about my family. But I will have a big car, big house, fishing boat, Golf every weekend and warm winters on the Pacific. Perhaps i will buy a Mack and tow the RV south every winter.

On the other hand, perhaps I will have the same size house i have here, less cleaning, same size car as here, less fuel, Golf o the playstaion, don't have to clean the clubs and wo't change my big stick every year, fish off the pier, less maint, drive a Mack, for a living, and go to Disney every 4 years...who knows, we will see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.