Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Of course.....it was for the chil.........
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Is money the only reason any of the old hands on here moved to Canada?
Yes.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:46 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Can’t think of many other reasons for moving here

Schooling isn't better and at best its comparable, job prospects/market is probably more limited than the UK, public transport is much worse, government and taxation is on par or worse, cost of living is higher (excluding the house), violent crime is marginaly higher here..
Outdoor life style is much more limited and seasonal here (-30 to +30), and the weather can seriously suck

Ohh but cars and houses are cheaper/bigger
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't emigrate for money directly, but I certainly wouldn't emigrate to be poorer - that's crazy. The reality of living on min wage jobs here is something that nobody in their right mind should consider. Canada is not a country where you want to be on the breadline.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:55 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I didn't emigrate for money directly, but I certainly wouldn't emigrate to be poorer - that's crazy. The reality of living on min wage jobs here is something that nobody in their right mind should consider. Canada is not a country where you want to be on the breadline.
On the contrary, I think this is something that everyone should consider. If a prospective immigrant can consider their plans and truthfully say that they are willing and/or able to give it a go even if they end up starting on minimum wage, then I say go for it. If the answer is no, if they aren't willing and/or able to take that chance, then they are best off staying put.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

In my case it was mainly for sex, but having to clean toilets for the priviledge of it would certainly have dampened my ardour.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
On the contrary, I think this is something that everyone should consider. If a prospective immigrant can consider their plans and truthfully say that they are willing and/or able to give it a go even if they end up starting on minimum wage, then I say go for it. If the answer is no, if they aren't willing and/or able to take that chance, then they are best off staying put.
The thing is that I don't think people truly understand what living on min wage here means. It's easy to get caught up in the ... ahem... "romance" of starting from scratch and working your way up - but the reality of watching your savings evaporate, living in somebodies basement, having to go to food banks isn't something I'd want to risk myself. Maybe if I was 23, but not the wrong side of 40, I'm too used to my comforts for that.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:06 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In my case it was mainly for sex, but having to clean toilets for the priviledge of it would certainly have dampened my ardour.
Especially if done simultaneously.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Schooling isn't better and at best its comparable, job prospects/market is probably more limited than the UK, public transport is much worse, government and taxation is on par or worse, cost of living is higher (excluding the house), violent crime is marginaly higher here..
Outdoor life style is much more limited and seasonal here (-30 to +30), and the weather can seriously suck

Other than money? What about the crime, wild packs of booze sodden feral youths roaming about with guns and knives? The overflowing rubbish bins, the general lack of respect for the community? The over crowded trains and buses are always late. Katie Price in every newspaper, the tv is full of mindless panel shows with mean-spirited comedians peddling their hackneyed routines. The price of everything has increased, there is a general malaise that "In a nation that was proud of hard work, strong families, close-knit communities, and our faith in God, too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns. But we've discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. . ."
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:14 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes.

Well, we know you did, dbd33!

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Surely only a very stupid person would live somewhere that has so little to recommend it and since I assume you do have a functioning intellect there is obviously something you are not telling us.

It didn't and presumably doesn't put you off living there. So if it works for you, why not for others?
Either you are unbelievably shallow and your whole life revolves round a bigger car and house, or you are a glutton for punishment or you are making a very bad attempt to put others off for reasons I cannot guess at.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You don't say whether you were ever made 'redundant' in terms of your own personal Canadian aspirations, AA. Presumably business picked up eventually.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:18 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The thing is that I don't think people truly understand what living on min wage here means. It's easy to get caught up in the ... ahem... "romance" of starting from scratch and working your way up - but the reality of watching your savings evaporate, living in somebodies basement, having to go to food banks isn't something I'd want to risk myself. Maybe if I was 23, but not the wrong side of 40, I'm too used to my comforts for that.
I suppose it depends how risk tolerant the prospective immigrant is. Perhaps people should ask themselves if they would move to another part of the UK and work for minimum wage?

When I was looking into making the move I certainly had no intentions of working for minimum wage, having not done so since student days at home. I wanted to know that if it came to the crunch, could I get by in Toronto (ie: eat and pay rent) on that wage.

Some people will be prepared to do that should it come down to it, some will not, although I suspect that those who have plenty of 'comforts' at home will be less in touch with the realities of starting over.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:23 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
What if the TWP job disappears? I guess you'd need another LMO, and in a recession i would think that would be tougher than it is now. What if they cut wages?
we are going in on a PNP, so as long as the job is ok for 11-13 months from landing, the PR is supposedly a given. if the job goes pear shaped, we could move the twp to another job (assuming he can get one) and that should be relatively quick. we will have savings, and i will have a SOWP for the two years, which should well exceed our PR processing. worst case scenario, i get a job ( trained as an accountant, part way thru degree in psychology) relatively easily, in fact we did consider getting me a TWP in the first place. hopefully we have contingencies in place.

BTW i like my £40 tesco glasses,
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:23 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Surely only a very stupid person would live somewhere that has so little to recommend it and since I assume you do have a functioning intellect there is obviously something you are not telling us.

It didn't and presumably doesn't put you off living there. So if it works for you, why not for others?
Either you are unbelievably shallow and your whole life revolves round a bigger car and house, or you are a glutton for punishment or you are making a very bad attempt to put others off for reasons I cannot guess at.
Or my wife is a Canadian and I got a very good job offer, with a significant increase in salary to move here!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we know you did, dbd33!
Note that I came with nothing. Having nothing wasn't terribly depressing, I'd always had nothing. The ugliness of the surroundings was depressing but the look of the place encouraged me to spend more time indoors working and I made steady progress.

What was depressing was going backwards financially, something that happened much later. The idea of being an immigrant, coping with the stress related to that and going backwards at the same time is a frightening one.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by __TJ__
we are going in on a PNP, so as long as the job is ok for 11-13 months from landing, the PR is supposedly a given. if the job goes pear shaped, we could move the twp to another job (assuming he can get one) and that should be relatively quick. we will have savings, and i will have a SOWP for the two years, which should well exceed our PR processing. worst case scenario, i get a job ( trained as an accountant, part way thru degree in psychology) relatively easily, in fact we did consider getting me a TWP in the first place. hopefully we have contingencies in place.

BTW i like my £40 tesco glasses,
Wouldn't you need another new LMO for the new job ? Don't believe you can just 'move' the TWP to another job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.