Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:20 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will you still emigrate when the Canadian recession kicks in?

Honestly I can't understand why anyone would move here from the UK with the £ so weak, it's the weakest it has ever been against the Canadian dollar. Unless you're broke, obviously.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice

whatever guys, I was just reading the Canadian press, I don't live over there yet so clearly you know better than me...
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisparr
...or has the Canadian government predicted this publicly?
Governments don't/won't predict recessions. Anyway this isn't some new thing that's going on, it's just a continuation of the shit that surfaced in 2008. The big question is not whether it's going to happen, but when. How long can the government / central bank delay the inevitable?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:51 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
It will be a world wide recession not just Canadian, in fact Canada is better prepared to weather a recession than most countries and thats not just our politicians saying that it's also the opinion of the IMF.
The question is, if you have a job, house, and support network in the UK, would you still move when the recession hits? Assuming people are moving on TWP or to nothing. It's a huge risk even if the recession is global.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wouldn't it be best to emigrate to Canada when it's in recession and the UK is not? Finding a job in Canada at such a time might be difficult but a recession driving down the price of houses in Canada would be similar to a boom driving up house prices in the UK in that the relative advantage of moving would again be great.
Actually, i agree with this if the move was driven by house size. I have my next property in sight, i just need it to come down by another $175k

Originally Posted by __TJ__
We are coming over on a twp in dec and yes we are concerned but we are still doing it. As long as dh still has his job on the table, even if his wages are frozen, we will still be better off financially! In the uk in the last year he has lost over £100 a WEEK! he is doing the same hours, but the company have cut hourly rate, cut travelling time (80t crane limited to 35mph, it takes him an age to get to the job!) changed working practices to cut their pension liability and even make them bring their own coffee! (silly little thing but it irks!) losing over £5k a year thru no fault of his own sucks. And he is one of the lucky ones who still has his job.
There may well be costs in Canada that we haven't considered, but we think it will be worth the £15k it is costing to get us, the dog, and a container full of our worldly goods.
Rose coloured glasses, maybe, but they were only £40 from tescos
What if the TWP job disappears? I guess you'd need another LMO, and in a recession i would think that would be tougher than it is now. What if they cut wages?

With the exchange rate as it is, the downturn in consumer confidence, stagnating (and dropping in some areas) house prices, huge debt levels, current stagnation in unemployment levels, and so on, i think it's something the would-be-immigrant from the UK should consider.

Still, snowboarding season will soon be upon us and there are some cracking PS3 games coming out soon so not all is bad
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

Yes were moving, 2013 is our target, because of how long it takes to get my passport, kids citizenship cards and hubby's visa.

I will work in any field doing any job, I'm not bothered if I can carry on doing accounts, or clean toilets a jobs a job if it means I don't have to live In The uk anymore!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by familyof4
Yes were moving, 2013 is our target, because of how long it takes to get my passport, kids citizenship cards and hubby's visa.

I will work in any field doing any job, I'm not bothered if I can carry on doing accounts, or clean toilets a jobs a job if it means I don't have to live In The uk anymore!
I hope you don't regret saying that
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_
Honestly I can't understand why anyone would move here from the UK with the £ so weak, it's the weakest it has ever been against the Canadian dollar. Unless you're broke, obviously.
And the UK is about to print more money so the pound can only get weaker. Okay for those moving back though.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
And the UK is about to print more money so the pound can only get weaker. Okay for those moving back though.
All 2 of em
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I hope you don't regret saying that
Absolutely not, I'm a hard worker and I don't do things lightly, it's always been my dream to move back to Canada and I'm excited at the fact we have decided to finally make the move, recessions are not forever and so if I can make it through a uk one I'm sure I can do the same in Canada!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Absolutely not, I'm a hard worker and I don't do things lightly, it's always been my dream to move back to Canada and I'm excited at the fact we have decided to finally make the move, recessions are not forever and so if I can make it through a uk one I'm sure I can do the same in Canada!
Cleaning toilets for a living is not what most people expect and, if you had to do so, I suspect your savings will evaporate very quickly and you could then be stuck here doing that for the rest of your life - not a pleasant thought and, unless your life in the UK is awful now, not a prospect I would advocate you traveling such a distance to achieve.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

It's a chance I'm willing to take. Despite all the negativity on here for people wanting to make a move.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:08 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It's a chance I'm willing to take. Despite all the negativity on here for people wanting to make a move.
You say negativity, I say reality checking but at the end of the day if you do your research and move over prepared for the challenges that you may encounter then you have every chance of doing OK. Fail to research or gloss over the realitites because that's not what you want to hear and live may prove more difficult.

To the OP's question......

No, I don't think so. If we were still in UK with good jobs, with the collapse in exchange rate and rise in house prices in Nfld since 2004 (when we moved over) we'd likely stay put.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its not really negativity its the realization that everywhere is a bit shit.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Atlantic Xpat;9644684]You say negativity, I say reality checking but at the end of the day if you do your research and move over prepared for the challenges that you may encounter then you have every chance of doing OK. Fail to research or gloss over the realitites because that's not what you want to hear and live may prove more difficult.

We have re searched ALOT recently, and will continue to do so until the day we fly out, I'm bringing 2 children with me and I need to make sure that where we move is right for us job wise and mst importantly schooling.....I really don't have Rose tinted glasses on far from it, i am a realist
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:32 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Is money the only reason any of the old hands on here moved to Canada?
It certainly seems so every time threads like this come up.
(Apart from those who had no choice as they had partners who were Canadian and didn't want to live in the UK)

Individual circumstances can make a massive difference to whether relocation anywhere in the world is a good move or not.

Funnily enough, as you have mentioned it, my OH used to be in the Oil business and we were repeatedly (often around Christmas time, I seem to remember) staring redundancy in the face and watching colleagues and friends fall under the axe until eventually our turn came round.

I do believe that in recession not everyone takes the same hit and it has proved to be true with our change of jobs. Nothing is recession proof, but some areas are less vulnerable than others.

When he was finally made redundant it was a relief in a way and although it is not the best start to a new life, we relocated quite a distance in the UK as a result and out of potential disaster came the best move we had ever made.

Life is what you make it - you take the punches, cut your cloth accordingly while searching out opportunities to grab and optimism, tenacity and prudence can win the day whatever the challenges.

If you have one chance to emigrate now and that is what you want, then as long as you have thought it through and are prepared for what might be thrown at you, why not now?
Stay in the UK and you could be made redundant tomorrow and never get the chance to make your move and find out if you could have made a go of it.

I accept that there are people who just jump at emigration without really thinking and who come to rue the day, but any sane and sensible person will consider the relative merits, take appropriate precautions and they will still succeed despite the economic conditions.
Currently there is more to consider and plan for than when it was $2.5CAD to the £ I grant you, but in a way that is a good thing.
Now there are fewer greedy people emigrating just because they want a bigger house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.