Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

will montreal force my kids to be schooled in french?

will montreal force my kids to be schooled in french?

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will montreal force my kids to be schooled in french?

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you lived in Brampton would you learn Hindi? I suspect not and I think there's something problematic about children in Canada being taught Chinese so they can understand the culture and the people. If the Chinese people in Canada wanted to communicate with the Canadians then they'd learn English or French. If they don't it's because they're not interested in the locals so learning their language seems rather pointless (unless you have a specific reason, for example, I expect McLaren require it of their staff).
Majority speak Punjabi... which is why we moved. When we complained to the school that all the kids were speaking Punjabi around our son the answer we got was that they had learnt all the swear words so they could discipline the kids if they swore... No mention of encouraging / "forcing" the kids to speak English or French when at school... So son was one of 6 kids out of 600 that didn't speak Punjabi!
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Lorno Malvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump in but is speaking French mandatory in the service industry in Montreal?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 10:18 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Majority speak Punjabi... which is why we moved. When we complained to the school that all the kids were speaking Punjabi around our son the answer we got was that they had learnt all the swear words so they could discipline the kids if they swore... No mention of encouraging / "forcing" the kids to speak English or French when at school... So son was one of 6 kids out of 600 that didn't speak Punjabi!
That is amazing. As much as we all trumpet diversity, birds of a feather do flock together don't they.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Wow...I lived in Brampton from 1989-1992 and then large parts of Bramalea were heavily south Asian. I was in 'old Brampton' which back then was not very south Asian. Parts of Springdale were very south Asian.

Despite all of the south Asian population there were very few restaurants that served Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi food. I do recall some suburban theme pubs on Hwy 7 that catered to the old guard of mainly scottish and northern english ex-pats. Bramalea had a lot of scottish people originally move there who were connected with the airport.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorno Malvo
Sorry to jump in but is speaking French mandatory in the service industry in Montreal?

From my experience, yes the ability to speak French is necessary.

I've come across more poor English but fluent French than the reverse in service industry jobs in Montreal ......... that includes cab drivers!

I don't know about mandatory ................ but French is first in impottance ..... all public announcements on transit etc is said in French first then in English second,
Old Oct 7th 2017, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

isn't it strange how anglophones react to people using other languages ?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
isn't it strange how anglophones react to people using other languages ?
Yes indeed. If I had started a thread titled "Will Vancouver force my kids to be schooled in English?" the fire and vitriol in the responses would be enormous.

French is the language of Montreal and Quebec. If that is too much of a problem - decline the role.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:37 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yes indeed. If I had started a thread titled "Will Vancouver force my kids to be schooled in English?" the fire and vitriol in the responses would be enormous.

French is the language of Montreal and Quebec. If that is too much of a problem - decline the role.
I think it was just a poor word choice from the OP. He probably meant "require" and I don't think anyone is questioning the primacy of French in Quebec.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I think it was just a poor word choice from the OP. He probably meant "require" and I don't think anyone is questioning the primacy of French in Quebec.
Isn't it funny how someone stereotypes an entire group of people as being anti something based on a single comment by one person. That they don't even know.

Even more odd when this allegedly "against other languages" person (I'm paraphrasing) actually mentions their wife is one of these other languages and their kids have two other languages and were also schooled in one of the other languages while living in another non anglo country.

Quite bizarre.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I base my observations on 70 years of learning, using and teaching languages. Not on one posting here !
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:58 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by scot47
I base my observations on 70 years of learning, using and teaching languages. Not on one posting here !
Any specifics? You are alluding to vague instances of which none of us here are aware. We're not mind readers!