Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Will British TV's work in Canada?

Will British TV's work in Canada?

Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will British TV's work in Canada?

sell it and buy a new TV here....

whats the point in taking up space/cost to ship something you can buy over here anyway, that will definitely work?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by james.mc
From what I can gather, SpikeyD66 is simply asking if they can plug the TV in and tune it into Canadian TV channels. I didn't see any reference to him asking about BBC iPlayer, how good Canadian TV programs are, cheese or wine but sadly still no answer to the original question it seems.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has taken a UK/EU type TV over to Canada and plugged it in (though a 220-110 transformer most likely, although I am aware that a lot of modern kit will automatically select the correct input voltage) and then tried to tune it on to local terrestrial TV.

Can you tune it in?
Or, will the TV be reduced to 'Dumb Monitor/display' type status to be hooked up to a DVD player and display those old British bought DVD's for the remainder of it's natural life?
we brought our samsung 42" flat screen with us in June and just plugged it in with a travel plug then we bought a Shaw box and that was it (still crappy shows tho!) the tv is about a year old.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:49 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
we brought our samsung 42" flat screen with us in June and just plugged it in with a travel plug then we bought a Shaw box and that was it (still crappy shows tho!) the tv is about a year old.
Cheers!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:53 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88

whats the point in taking up space/cost to ship something you can buy over here anyway, that will definitely work?
We're shipping a 20ft container with a Jeep in it = Space is no problem + Cost of shipping is no more. Plug in a Shaw box ... cheap TV. That'll do for a start.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always surprised by this advice. Decent TV's are $1000 plus.

If the TV says it takes 110V on the back then you can just plug it in, otherwise it will need a voltage converter - these aren't very expensive.

Also, if the TV has HDMI sockets then it's going to be usable here. The NTSC/PAL issue doesn't matter so much any more as analogue over the air no longer exists in Canada.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

mrbunny is an unknown quantity at this point

When we moved across, we took our laptops and iron with us and have no problem just using them (with an adaptor). I suggest contacting the TV manufacturer and asking them if there would be any problems; that would be done easily enough online.... oh right, you have an answer!

Last edited by mrbunny; Oct 27th 2012 at 4:07 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

IF fitted with a voltage converter no problem but if anything electrical you bring over does not have a CSA (i think thats it) sticker on it and it causes a fire or other ,,the house insurance may not cover you.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

Sign up for daily tv torrents or thebox.bz and you can get a load of british tv programmes including the soaps a few hours after they are shown in the uk
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

onepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really nice

The orignial poster mentioned they wanted to watch Corrie when moving to Canada. Just to let you know Corrie is now only a week or so behind England so catching up would be no issue.

Another poster here said they use http://tunir.net which allowed them to watch all the iplayer and catch up services from the UK. I tried it and it is great. You just change the dns settings on your network card (change them back when not using the service) It takes about 30 seconds to do each time. Plug in an hdmi cable to your pc to tv and you can watch it on your big screen tv.

You could also buy a vpn serivce like someone else mentioned. I was looking into geting StrongVPN but will use the other for now.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm always surprised by this advice. Decent TV's are $1000 plus
dunno where you're shopping, but i got a 42" 1080p Phillips TV from walmart for $600
Old Oct 27th 2012, 8:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

dunno where you're shopping, but i got a 42" 1080p Phillips TV from walmart for $600
I think the word you missed was 'decent'.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 27th 2012 at 8:42 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

how decent do you need it to be?

3 HDMI inputs, 1x RGB input, 1x PrPbY input, 1x VGA input, USB input, decent speakers, 42" screen

what else does a TV need?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

onepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really niceonepixel is just really nice

I agree hagis88. I have a 42 inch LG TV. 3 hdmi outlets. Fantastic picture. Great sound. $599

I have friends who are really into tv specs. They compete against each other over the picture quality. The blacks, the yellows etc plasma, led or lcd etc. When it comes down to it if you like the picture you are looking at then that is all that matters to me. People always are amazed at the quality of my tv.

With technology improving and changing so quickly I am not going to spend $1000 plus on a tv that will be outdated in a year or less.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
This post has nothing to do with TV's but its about plug sockets, my mum and dad when they moved to canada 20 years ago took 3 pin plug sockets and got an electrician to fit these in their canadian house, so my mums mixer, microwave and other electrical appliances from the UK were able to be pluged straight into the socket without an adapter of any kind, so anyone moving over, get some 3 pin plug sockets from B&Q and get them wired in when they arrive in Canada, hope this helps.

Regards

Andrew
An electrician won't do this for you, at least not one that wants keep his license, unless you get a CSA stamp on them.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 12:13 am

how decent do you need it to be?

3 HDMI inputs, 1x RGB input, 1x PrPbY input, 1x VGA input, USB input, decent speakers, 42" screen

what else does a TV need?
A decent picture? Fair enough if you don't care about this or can't tell the difference, but I've seen a $600 42" LG and it's not good enough for me.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 28th 2012 at 12:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.