Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

wierd mentality

wierd mentality

Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default wierd mentality

I interviewed with a firm in Ontario a couple of months ago, they offered me the job but the money was crap and I declined.

I have talking to another firm in Toronto who I told about the interview and they have decided that they dont want to interview me now because I didn't talk to them at the same time when I spoke to the other firm. They didn't like the idea that I may have shopped around!

What a bunch of knobs! I cant understand their mentality. Wierd!!!!!!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wierd mentality

The poor lambkins, you clearly hurt their ickle feelings!

Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Majj
I interviewed with a firm in Ontario a couple of months ago, they offered me the job but the money was crap and I declined.

I have talking to another firm in Toronto who I told about the interview and they have decided that they dont want to interview me now because I didn't talk to them at the same time when I spoke to the other firm. They didn't like the idea that I may have shopped around!

Hehe, welcome to the Canadian way of employment...

I applied for a load of jobs over three months ago.
Didn't hear ANYTHING back from any of them, but luckily got headhunted for the job i'm in now, which I love.

So, last week out of the blue - one of the companies (a big .com) finally got back to me - three months later - and to boot were shocked that I wasn't at my previous job anymore!

Talk about dragging things out!

I was interviewed for the job i'm in now within 3 days of being contacted, and had the offer less than a week later - but it seems not all companies are this efficient!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to high-tech, I think their mentality is trapped in an "employer's market", where they have this belief that all candidates are 'begging' and will do anything to get a job with their 'hallowed' organization. To a certain extent, this is unfortunately true. What is happening in reality is that the few good candidates for a particular job are actually being overlooked because they 'cost too much'. They end up with someone mediocre (the guy who begged with a cheesy smile, lied on his CV and said "i'll work for peanuts" or words to that effect).

They end up being crap at their job. Quelle suprise. My company has employed at least 2 people like this, unfortunately we have to 'work' with them, so to speak, until they can be rid of... recruitment people are their own worst enemies. Of course, the agencies don't care because they take a % of the cut regardless of the quality of the hire.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I have talking to another firm in Toronto who I told about the interview
Loose lips sink ships.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Henneth will become famous soon enoughHenneth will become famous soon enough

Bizarre behaviour on their part. If that's symptomatic of their thinking then maybe it wouldn't have been the best work environment anyway?

I was once given the advice that you should never mention other job applications to prospective employers as they may well question how interested you are in their vacancy. Stands to reason I suppose.

Anyway - good luck with the job hunt.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You broke the first cardinal rule of job seeking .... answer only the questions asked of you. You should never have mentioned who you interviewed with previously. This is probably the reason they won't interview you now. You have a big mouth.

Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Another favourite: " I heard place <XXXX> is a difficult place to work at...."

where XXXX is your current employment

... at which point you naturally think he knows why you are leaving and spill your guts about what you dislike about the place..

BUT The correct answer is either "Yes".... or "Really? no, it's okay".

Originally Posted by Rete
You broke the first cardinal rule of job seeking .... answer only the questions asked of you. You should never have mentioned who you interviewed with previously. This is probably the reason they won't interview you now. You have a big mouth.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:25 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

The 2nd firm is concerned that they were not part of your "A Plan", and at some point after they go to the effort/expense of training you, you will jump to another employer who has a better offer. Why should they hire you over someone else who genuinely wants the job as part of their "Plan A"? .... or someone else who is more settled?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 10th 2006 at 12:27 am.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:34 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by neill
Another favourite: " I heard place <XXXX> is a difficult place to work at...."

where XXXX is your current employment

... at which point you naturally think he knows why you are leaving and spill your guts about what you dislike about the place..

BUT The correct answer is either "Yes".... or "Really? no, it's okay".
Uhmmm... the correct response is to never knock your past or current employer(s). If pressed, you should simply explain that that is you personal policy.... and you will not go against your ethical principles.

This is clearly a test as well as a trap. The employer will think if you are rather critical of past employers, it is likely only a matter of time before you are putting them down too.... unless the employer you want to criticize was found guilty of a criminal offense.... then it's okay I suppose.

Employers like loyal employees ("team members") who won't cross their boss - a rare bunch.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 10th 2006 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 12:46 am
mañana is my busiest day

Yes; and that's true for going through US or Canadian Customs. People on the other side will look for hidden meanings, signs of deception (face and body language)... and may even twist what you have said. Answer their questions honestly... and that's all.... don't volunteer information.

Customs officials and potential employers likely won't give you the benefit of the doubt with ambiguous statements.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

err No. It was the stupid recruitment consultant's idea (based in Toronto) to mention that I had made the effort to travel and talk to another firm. His paln was to show that I was serious. Clearly either he knows diddly squat or they are a bunch of knobs, as the plan spectaculary back fired.

Anyway good job I didn't take it because I got offered more than twice their tight arsed $60k in NY!
Old Dec 8th 2006, 3:00 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly either he knows diddly squat or they are a bunch of knobs
There's no rule that says management need to possess intelligence. Smug judgemental looks is mandatory though.

Good luck in your future venture. May your work make you happy and fulfilled.

Rich.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway good job I didn't take it because I got offered more than twice their tight arsed $60k in NY!
Congrats, how exciting Are you all visa-ed up and ready to go?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 4:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

err No. It was the stupid recruitment consultant's idea (based in Toronto) to mention that I had made the effort to travel and talk to another firm. His paln was to show that I was serious. Clearly either he knows diddly squat or they are a bunch of knobs, as the plan spectaculary back fired.

But you are in Canada, what visa are you going for so that you can with in NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.