Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

This is why you are choosing Alberta

This is why you are choosing Alberta

Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is why you are choosing Alberta

Originally Posted by Buchan6
So i wont be on the piss then
Little do you know. Price and selection of booze there is better than Ontario. Convenience stores and gas stations only have 3.2 beer but supermarkets and liquor stores have very good selections. Nothing to take out on Sunday admittedly and many bars are technically clubs but it's all much more relaxed than you'd think.

The first week of this year we dragged a case of London Pride (purchased in Utah) up to Delicate Arch, see picture. That's the San Juan's, part of the Rockies, in the background. National Parks are great in January; no one else is there.
Attached Thumbnails This is why you are choosing Alberta-ack-delicate-arch-1.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:54 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Little do you know. Price and selection of booze there is better than Ontario. Convenience stores and gas stations only have 3.2 beer but supermarkets and liquor stores have very good selections. Nothing to take out on Sunday admittedly and many bars are technically clubs but it's all much more relaxed than you'd think.

The first week of this year we dragged a case of London Pride (purchased in Utah) up to Delicate Arch, see picture. That's the San Juan's, part of the Rockies, in the background. National Parks are great in January; no one else is there.
That is a stunning picture.
Another x marked on the map of places to see.!!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:01 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
The first week of this year we dragged a case of London Pride (purchased in Utah) up to Delicate Arch, see picture.
Yeah I remember the picture of the empty can placed on the motor on here earlier this year.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:09 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Its a how long's a piece of string question but, if I wanna see "The Rockies"
on a two week holiday taking in BC and Alberta (or not) , where do I head for ??
Not an authority on BC as have only been to a bit of it so far, but for AB, I would land in Calgary, go up to Edmonton via Red Deer if you wnat to check it out. In Edm, do Fort Edm Park, WEM, The River Valley, The Streetcar and Legislature Building, The Provincial Museum and Telus Science Center, (if you can fit all that in.
Then its off to Jasper. Tons to do there. Work your way down the Icefields Parkway, stopping off at the Athabasca Falls and Sunwapta Falls, Peyto Lake (as in pic #5) and onto Lake Louise/Moraine Lake. From there, go over the border to check out Emerald Lake/Natural Bridge/Takkakaw Falls.

Could go on into BC from there and a stunning journey it is. Or back into AB and down the David Thompson Highway from the Saskatchewan River Crossing.
A bit of a detour, but truly worth heading down there to Abraham Lake and Crescent Falls.
Back to the River Crossing again and south down to Banff. Go via The Bow Valley Parkway and take in Johnston Canyon.

Tons to see in Banff, Canmore is lovely and also worth heading into Kananaskis country, check out Kananaskis Village (pics #1/2/3)

Thats just the Alberta bits that I would recommend. BC has tons more.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I remember the picture of the empty can placed on the motor on here earlier this year.
The parents-in-law live in Colorado, they're big boozers and outdoor people (not quite your stereotypical Americans) so we've pictures of Fullers and Negra Modelo bottles all over the US west. The first time we went down the Grand Canyon we took no water, only wine and martini ingredients; we refilled the bottles, with water, at the bottom.

I like the Colorado/Utah border area because you can get mountains and desert in one short trip.
Attached Thumbnails This is why you are choosing Alberta-106_0623.jpg   This is why you are choosing Alberta-120_2022.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by R2D2
That is a stunning picture.
Another x marked on the map of places to see.!!

Read Edward Abbey before going, especially Desert Solitaire.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Elli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura about

If you need a boost and want to remember why you are going through all the stresses of emigrating to Canada, then take a look at my latest pics.

We have just spent a glorious long weekend (for our 10th Wedding Anniversary) down in Kananaskis, then driving up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. Heavenly Autumn Colours too.

Great photos, can't wait to come out and see the sites ourselves and again Happy Aniversary
Old Oct 4th 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Elli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura aboutElli and Paul has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MrsWillow
Not quite sure where that is. We are near Chipping Campden. I am really going to miss it.
Paul and I bought our first home in Chipping Norton and we loved the Cotswolds, I just remember some cold white winters,but I think I'll never call a winter cold again in the UK compared to a Canadian Winter

Elli
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:16 am
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by Elli and Paul
Great photos, can't wait to come out and see the sites ourselves and again Happy Aniversary
Thanx Elli Not a bad place to celebrate
Old Oct 6th 2006, 3:44 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by iaink
Tops. Anyone want to buy a house in Ontario?
No offence ... take your Ontario summer ... knock two months off ... you get the picture

Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:23 am
Just Joined

icklesarah will become famous soon enoughicklesarah will become famous soon enough

those photographs are gorgeous!

we honeymooned in canada, and are seriously considering moving there - it's our house-bunny who keeps us here - we couldn't subject him to the slight and couldn't leave him!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 3:16 pm
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by Cowtown
No offence ... take your Ontario summer ... knock two months off ... you get the picture
Can I ask (in the nicest possible way) why you stay in Alberta as you don't seem to have much complimentary to say. Or am I just reading you wrong.?
I'm not being funny..............its just curiosity???
Old Oct 6th 2006, 11:49 pm
Cowtown

Can I ask (in the nicest possible way) why you stay in Alberta as you don't seem to have much complimentary to say. Or am I just reading you wrong.?
I'm not being funny..............its just curiosity???
I just like scaring people from BC and ON ... plus I've been here long enough to take a perverse pride in the weather.

Admittedly my first springtime in Alberta was one hell of a shock ... I was expecting daffodils in April and we got snow, then we got snow in May, then we got snow in June ... I was a keen gardener in the UK, it's the one thing I've got to admit that I really miss.

I've also been to ON enough times now to know that I prefer Alberta's cooler weather ... I couldn't take the summer heat out that way.

In reverse, everyone I know who moved here from BC or ON complains about the cool weather ... but of course, that's just my experience, not a global generalisation ... I'm sure there's someone out there who'll prove me wrong.

But, please ... no photo's of anyone frolicking in the snow in their tighty whities to prove how much they like the cool weather.

Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrsWillow
Not quite sure where that is. We are near Chipping Campden. I am really going to miss it.
Hi guys,

We are near Lechlade (South Cotswolds), small world indeed. I guess you won't miss the grey winter skies here.....the cold crisp bright stuff is more appealing! Please let us know if you want to meet up anytime, for people so nearby. We've been to Calgary/Rockies 4 times. Awaiting Visas.

Great images, R2D2, good photographer.

Best Wishes,

happylandings & family.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Beautiful photos, really beautiful. But you can't eat mountains.
If you look closely at the last photo you can see a Tim Horton's half way up the mountain. Problem solved.

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.