Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are things so difficult for us Canadians here in Canada?

Wikiposts

Why are things so difficult for us Canadians here in Canada?

Old Aug 21st 2005, 2:26 am
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice
Red face Why are things so difficult for us Canadians here in Canada?

Similar question to that asked by Babyblue... but for returning Canadians.

I've been away from Canada for almost 10 years, same frustrations as a new immigrant (ie my British husband).

Wages are low, and most advertised jobs don't even tell you the salary so you can't be choosy, you have to apply for everything and hope for the best.

Worrying about mortgage, costs with no extra health benefits, car insurance, future savings dwindling...

Sitting in waiting room after waiting room, waiting for SIN, drivers licence, OHIP, all those cards...

So it's not just new immigrants who are facing difficulties. But keep smiling, eh?
Old Aug 21st 2005, 4:16 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are things so difficult for us Canadians here in Canada?

Originally Posted by Indigo
waiting for SIN
Did you not have a SIN number before you left Canada or have I (a Canadian in the UK) completely overlooked something in my own migration?
Old Aug 21st 2005, 5:10 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Did you not have a SIN number before you left Canada or have I (a Canadian in the UK) completely overlooked something in my own migration?
I don't think you have overlooked anything HWP, Sheila was in the UK for 22+ yrs and just used her old SIN number as if she hadn't been away, the only thing she had to do was change her name as she had married some idiot
Old Aug 21st 2005, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I don't think you have overlooked anything HWP, Sheila was in the UK for 22+ yrs and just used her old SIN number as if she hadn't been away, the only thing she had to do was change her name as she had married some idiot
You might want to keep better tabs on your wife there andy .
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:58 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to keep better tabs on your wife there andy .
Wouldn't be here without her HWP
She has shown remarkable good judgement and taste in the last 4 yrs.

God bless Canada and Canadians
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:35 am
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice

I had a SIN number, but after being away for so long, I had to "reactivate" it with a new address and married name. It's still the same number, but this new card doesn't have a piece of tape holding it together like my old one did!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Wouldn't be here without her HWP
She has shown remarkable good judgement and taste in the last 4 yrs.

God bless Canada and Canadians
Now that's worth a shot of karma.......and all creatures great and small is one of my all time favourite english series....it's now being shown on PBS station from seattle on sunday evening! As far as seacreatures...I can take some and leave others......!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Sheila and Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been away from Canada for almost 10 years, same frustrations as a new immigrant (ie my British husband).

Wages are low, and most advertised jobs don't even tell you the salary so you can't be choosy, you have to apply for everything and hope for the best.

Worrying about mortgage, costs with no extra health benefits, car insurance, future savings dwindling...

Sitting in waiting room after waiting room, waiting for SIN, drivers licence, OHIP, all those cards...

So it's not just new immigrants who are facing difficulties. But keep smiling, eh?
I'm afraid I have little sympathy for all these whingers.
I'm sure there are plenty of dens of vice and inequity, seedy cesspits and fly-by-night crooked businesses who would happily give you work for a few hours a week. You just haven't tried have you?
Honestly some people.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:22 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Originally Posted by willmore
Now that's worth a shot of karma.......and all creatures great and small is one of my all time favourite english series....it's now being shown on PBS station from seattle on sunday evening! As far as seacreatures...I can take some and leave others......!
I tried to give you some karma as it's well deserved, when i tried though it said i have to spread some around before i can give it again, sheila would kill me if i did that so i'll pass for now have a as a poor substitute
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 1:59 pm
It's a Barbie world

Originally Posted by Sheila and Andy
I'm afraid I have little sympathy for all these whingers.
I'm sure there are plenty of dens of vice and inequity, seedy cesspits and fly-by-night crooked businesses who would happily give you work for a few hours a week. You just haven't tried have you?
Honestly some people.
Er, if we had to rely on an income from me selling myself in a den of vice, I wouldn't even be able to afford dial-up to write this message!

Anyway, last week I became a schoolbus driver. It's a drastic career change for me, if you can call it a "career"... but at least my children can ride along for free and no childcare costs. No more stressful office jobs until the children are older.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Er, if we had to rely on an income from me selling myself in a den of vice, I wouldn't even be able to afford dial-up to write this message!
Heh heh. You and me both.

Anyway, last week I became a schoolbus driver. It's a drastic career change for me, if you can call it a "career"... but at least my children can ride along for free and no childcare costs.
Congratulations on your new career. I didn't know that school bus drivers could take their kids with them, but it sounds logical when I stop to think about it, and it sure sounds like a win-win solution.

No more stressful office jobs until the children are older.
If you're creative about it, you might be able to avoid stressful office jobs forever.

All the best.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

I wish you all the best of luck!
Not everyone here are heartless. I totally understand the difficulty that you face.
Some people here seem to read what they want and not what is being said. I am very realistic and i would never have stayed in my job so long if i had another choice.I would love to see others here attempt my job and stick it as long as i have. I beleive my future will be much brighter and i know that good things come to those who wait. as tough as it is. It appears that some people in here were born with silver spoons in their mouths and really do not know what it is like to struggle. I know the expereince will make a better person of me.

I genuinly wish you the very best of luck and i hope all turns around for you.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:09 am

I had a SIN number, but after being away for so long, I had to "reactivate" it with a new address and married name. It's still the same number, but this new card doesn't have a piece of tape holding it together like my old one did!
Whew... you had me worried there. Fortunately (or unfortunately), my SIN is still active so I'll assume I'm in the clear. Good luck back in Canada.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyway, last week I became a schoolbus driver. It's a drastic career change for me, if you can call it a "career"... but at least my children can ride along for free and no childcare costs. No more stressful office jobs until the children are older.[/QUOTE]

congratulations on your new career.....must make you feel a little more "settled" - hope it works out well for you!

Drop me a pm whenever you have a free moment - would love to hear how you and the family are!

Karma sent - but apparently I'm shooting blanks......so heaven knows whether it will be good or not!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whew... you had me worried there. Fortunately (or unfortunately), my SIN is still active so I'll assume I'm in the clear. Good luck back in Canada.
and you....when the heck are you coming back to BC? can I entice you by telling you that we had the best symphony splash on August 1 that I can remember - record crowds, wonderful music and no problems!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.