British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   why should i move from UK to canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-should-i-move-uk-canada-538298/)

garcha May 23rd 2008 5:49 am

why should i move from UK to canada?

hello to everyone,
i got a intersting question for everyone... i am an indian and living in the UK from last 4 years... i m married and i got 3 years old daughter. i did apply for canadian PR under SW in 2007 and i hope i will get some reply in 2010 but now i am thinking that why should i move from UK to canada? i was in canda for two weeks in 2007 and i like this place but there is nothing wrong with the UK. Here we got more job opputunities than in canada. The weather is much better than canada and medical is all free...ofcourse there are some negatives as well but overall it is a good place to live (atleast that is what i think) and in the end you have to wait about 4 years... that is a long time....... comment please.... thanks

burton bunch May 23rd 2008 6:23 am

Re: why should i move from UK to canada?

I think that alot of us have done this for a better quality of life for our families as some of the crime, drugs etc in the UK are too out of control. I am not for one moment saying that these do not exist in Canada but depending on where you chose to settle then they are not quite as prevalent.

I have been in Alberta for a year come August and this is what I have found already :

* Teachers are more committed to their students - important for kids.
* Tonnes of support for kids in school from teachers and counsellors.
* Less pressure in the work place.
* Minimal commute time to work ie 10 minutes each way for the both of us compared to a total of about 4 hours between both of us per day.
* More family time.
* Nice people.
* Beautiful scenery.
* More space.

I have go to admit I have always been very career minded before I emigrated but since coming here I have now become less career focus and (at 42) for the first time ever I am working part time as opposed to mega amounts of hours in the UK!

If you have asked the question to see how many of us do this as we are just so p'd off with living in the UK then I think that you will be very sadly mistaken as generally I think the views above are those of the majority of the people on this forum.

My advice to anyone is DO NOT do this move unless you know WHY you are doing it and HOW it will work for you and your family. Dont ever do this move on a whim or let someone talk you into it or out of it if it is something which you personally think you should be doing.

Gaynor
x

Coffeepot May 23rd 2008 6:42 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 6383212)
I think that alot of us have done this for a better quality of life for our families as some of the crime, drugs etc in the UK are too out of control. I am not for one moment saying that these do not exist in Canada but depending on where you chose to settle then they are not quite as prevalent.

I have been in Alberta for a year come August and this is what I have found already :

* Teachers are more committed to their students - important for kids.
* Tonnes of support for kids in school from teachers and counsellors.
* Less pressure in the work place.
* Minimal commute time to work ie 10 minutes each way for the both of us compared to a total of about 4 hours between both of us per day.
* More family time.
* Nice people.
* Beautiful scenery.
* More space.

I have go to admit I have always been very career minded before I emigrated but since coming here I have now become less career focus and (at 42) for the first time ever I am working part time as opposed to mega amounts of hours in the UK!

If you have asked the question to see how many of us do this as we are just so p'd off with living in the UK then I think that you will be very sadly mistaken as generally I think the views above are those of the majority of the people on this forum.

My advice to anyone is DO NOT do this move unless you know WHY you are doing it and HOW it will work for you and your family. Dont ever do this move on a whim or let someone talk you into it or out of it if it is something which you personally think you should be doing.

Gaynor
x

Good advice Gaynor :thumbsup:

We are moving from the UK for the same reasons, i don't dislike my life here or where i live in fact we are really lucky live somewhere nice, nice house, good standard of living etc but that comes at a price ? OH travels 4 hours a day into town, come to a stage in our life where we want to try something different and experience a different way of life more time with our 7 year old and each other :wub: life is short and you have to get as much as you can out of it ;) I can not see any reason to put yourself through all the stress and jumping through hoops if you don't really want to go ? get a refund and enjoy your life in the UK :D

Andrew Miller May 23rd 2008 7:00 am

Originally Posted by garcha (Post 6383135)
....... comment please.... thanks

IMHO - if you need to ask this question then don't move, don't waste your time, money and visa post resources. Someone who knows why s/he wants to move will be happy to use freed resources and a visa.

Secondly, as Gaynor already said - it have to be your reasons, not someone else's. Are you always a follower, do you always do what others do, can't you make your own mind?

If you ask for reasons then you obviously don't have your own - thus why move for no reason at all?

Sit where you are and one day you may either find the good reason to move somewhere else or good reason to stay.

What reasons you had to move to UK 4 years ago?

Do you have any solid reason to move out of UK now? This is the first question you should ask yourself. Only if you have a good reason to emigrate out of UK then you should look for the destination you will have a reason to move to and which will have none (or at least less) of the factors that gave you reasons to move out from where you are. Remember - it has to be the reason first, destination comes second.

achanginglife May 23rd 2008 7:18 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 6383212)

Gaynor
x

EXACTLY right! if everyone got this sorted out before moving they would save themselves a lot of time, money and effort. Be clear about what you want from life, and how you will accomplish it wherever you go.

Tim Steer May 23rd 2008 7:51 am

I agree with all of the above...Like Andrew very rightly says..If you don't know why you want to go then it would be best to free up the Visa office resources for someone else.
Gets me wondering whether there are any stats about how many people who actually apply and are granted PR actually go...I am hoping the percentage will be very high but if not then that would be pretty shocking for the people who are desperate to get out there.
My wife and I are looking to move to Ontario and it was funny to read that the OP says the weather here is much better than in Canada - which is a very broad brush statement for such a big country..One of the reasons why we love Canada so much, and want to live in Ontario is the climate...Granted, the winters are very cold but the summers are hot and the autumn and Spring only seem to last a few days..But compare that to the UK where it seems that all the seasons nearly merge into one long rainy season.
I think that a 2 week snapshot is a very short space of time to make much of a balanced opinion or decision on and everyone has different opinions on what is good or bad weather..We always visited the wifes sister (living in Ontario) in the summer and before we applied for PR we made sure we visited Canada in the depths of winter and other times throughout the year to try and give us the best idea possible as to whether we wanted to emigrate...But of course the weather is just one tiny aspect and for us the quality of life seems so much better, the people are great and the crime rate is a lot lower..
Just some of my thoughts anyway.
Cheers
Tim

TheCanes May 23rd 2008 9:06 am

I have to agree with above - if you have to ask why you should move then why do it? You are obviously happy with your life, so why try fix something if it ain't broken?

cov-canuck May 23rd 2008 12:25 pm

According to other threads started by this user, he already has applications in for BOTH Canada and Australia.

Andrew Miller May 23rd 2008 1:46 pm

It means he doesn't have any valid reasons to go to either country - he is just looking for greener pasture. Moved 4 years ago to UK, likes it so far, but maybe grass is greener somewhere else...

Biiiiink May 23rd 2008 3:31 pm

I wouldn't bother if you're happy where you are. We came for the obvious reason that OH could increase his salary greatly in Canada over the UK, and work shorter hours. If you haven't got a pull like that, it's not worth the expense and hassle. Stay in the UK and enjoy life there, you're right, it's not a bad place :thumbup:

Biiba May 23rd 2008 8:57 pm

hello to everyone,
i got a intersting question for everyone... i am an indian and living in the UK from last 4 years... i m married and i got 3 years old daughter. i did apply for canadian PR under SW in 2007 and i hope i will get some reply in 2010 but now i am thinking that why should i move from UK to canada? i was in canda for two weeks in 2007 and i like this place but there is nothing wrong with the UK. Here we got more job opputunities than in canada. The weather is much better than canada and medical is all free...ofcourse there are some negatives as well but overall it is a good place to live (atleast that is what i think) and in the end you have to wait about 4 years... that is a long time....... comment please.... thanks

Hi garcha :)

Sorry but I find your post really odd!

Moving to another country is such a life changing experience! I cannot imagine anyone going through everything to get there unless they feel passionately about it. :blink:

Surrey Expat May 24th 2008 12:31 am

hello to everyone,

Probably shouldn't.

bazzz May 24th 2008 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Biiba (Post 6386680)
Moving to another country is such a life changing experience!

Not really. Moving from a large city in one English-speaking country to another large city in a different English-speaking country isn't necessarily a big deal. I think I'd have found moving to Norfolk far more traumatic than moving from London to Vancouver.

I wonder if the OP has experienced much racism in the UK? In my experience, that is one aspect that is much improved in Canada, at least in the big cities.

mandymoochops May 24th 2008 4:12 am

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6387085)
Not really. Moving from a large city in one English-speaking country to another large city in a different English-speaking country isn't necessarily a big deal. I think I'd have found moving to Norfolk far more traumatic than moving from London to Vancouver.

I wonder if the OP has experienced much racism in the UK? In my experience, that is one aspect that is much improved in Canada, at least in the big cities.

You have no idea how true that statement is!

However being sensible, Norfolk to Red Neck Drumheller is not that much of a change, and I can imagine living in Calgary like living in Leicester where I spent most of my life.

So whilst there are no huge differences the only thing you can go with is whats inside, if England doesn't feel right for you then there is nothing stopping you pursuing your dream anywhere in the world.

Good luck.

simeongb May 24th 2008 7:58 am

hello to everyone,

hi
you are so right, you can come to england, get free health care, you will be given a home to suit the size of your family, you don`t even have to work. You will get lots of money from the government if you have children( the more the better)
if you go to Canada you have to work for EIGHTEEN months before you get free money for children, and you have to pay for your house/apt yourself, its not free,and worst of all you must either be working or a student to get health care, and you must PAY FOR IT.
you`ll be better off in england