Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Have you turned into Dave Spart?
Just Sparted the once. Will try to control any further urges.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris gipp
Hi
I am English and proud of it, I live here and work. I respect Canada and it is my home now.
But I will always be English and if circumstance change I would love to return.
I am gratefully for all the chances that my country gave to me in Education, travel and so much more. Without that help I wouldn't be where I am now.
All the people who like to run home down, should just remember what Brition gave to them, they may have found themselves stuck in a place which wasn't quite has helpful as home. In a country with no heathl care ,limit education few rights. It may not be perfect but just look around and travel to places like Burma etc.
But now Canada is my Home and I hope to be a good citizen but my heart will always call England home.
Call me sentimental or proud but I am English.
Chris
If your post is indicative of the type of education you received in England, I could easily argue that it wasn't that great

It seems you also experienced "..limit education few rights..."
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:13 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So how did the USA look after Canada's interest by invading Iraq?
As Dbd33 pointed out the War in Iraq was apparently over WMD's. If memory serves the US invaded Iraq to stop these weapons being used to destroy the world. I'll leave you to decide if the destruction of the world is of interest to Canada?

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 30th 2009 at 6:16 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Just Sparted the once. Will try to control any further urges.
God boy.

Will you be joining Novo and myself for a 50 in March?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
As Dbd33 pointed out the War in Iraq was apparently over WMD's. If memory serves the US invaded Iraq to stop these weapons being used to destroy the world. I'll leave you to decide if the destruction of the world is of interest to Canadians?
Ahem, there weren't any such weapons. The governments involved didn't have good reason to think there were any such weapons. The US government wanted the war, presumably to avenge the President's dad, and the UK one agreed to go along to please the Americans. Chretien raised a finger to the US. Destruction of the world didn't enter into it. Score one for Canadian independence.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

As Dbd33 pointed out the War in Iraq was apparently over WMD's. If memory serves the US invaded Iraq to stop these weapons being used to destroy the world. I'll leave you to decide if the destruction of the world is of interest to Canadians?
So when was Canada a likely target for any WMDs that may have existed?

I remember being told when I did my NBC training in the Army that it would take something like 270+ nukes to destroy England, not the UK, just England.

Heaven knows how many nukes it would take to destroy the world but I am certain that Saddam never had anything like enough.

Your argument fails on too many levels to get close to being credible. Hans Blix stated at the time that the "WMD" argument was false.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

God boy.

Will you be joining Novo and myself for a 50 in March?
If it's in the GTA, sure. Can't promise to go to Ottawa (or Iraq).
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm proud of the fact that Britain has a voice on the international stage and unlike Canada it's heard.

I think you'll find that on issues such as the environment political views between Britain and the US differ greatly. They have been allies in many wars but I don't recall Britain invading Panama or fighting in Vietnam. Similarly Britain didn't need the US in The Falklands.

I always fealt sorry for Canadians because they have more interest in the US election than their own and they don't get to vote. Canada is the true 51st state, although the United States will never accept it because they believe Canada harbours the world's terrorists hense why they have tight border controls.

All that being said, I'm still looking forward to moving to Canada even though politically it is insignificant on the world stage it has lots of other merits.
I think history will show that the UK relied on the USA quite a bit during the Falklands conflict. And Chile.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Anyway I'm not getting all defensive over Britain or Canada. I was just picking up on the fact that Britain for it's size still retains a reasonable amount of political influence on the world we live.

This forum is addictive but I have to run as I am off to a Latino Bar tonite for some beer and salsa.

Have a good weekend guys & gals!!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:21 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Ahem, there weren't any such weapons. The governments involved didn't have good reason to think there were any such weapons. The US government wanted the war, presumably to avenge the President's dad, and the UK one agreed to go along to please the Americans. Chretien raised a finger to the US. Destruction of the world didn't enter into it. Score one for Canadian independence.
Seriously Dude I have to run now as I'm late. But I will say that Tony Blair and the Labour government actually published a whole dossier about why Britain was going into war over Iraq on WMDs and I think genuinelly believed that they would find some.

Chow.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Seriously Dude I have to run now as I'm late. But I will say that Tony Blair and the Labour government actually published a whole dossier about why Britain was going into war over Iraq on WMDs and I think genuinelly believed that they would find some.

Chow.

Ciao.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:24 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Chow.
Isnt it "Ciao"?

Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Chow.
Wasn't that shown to have been plagiarised from a thesis of some American student and then "sexed up" to suit the Government's agenda?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:27 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's in the GTA, sure. Can't promise to go to Ottawa (or Iraq).
Give that I shall be lodging in the Novotel, I think it quite likely that beer will be consumed somewhere in the GTA. Or Scotland.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Heaven knows how many nukes it would take to destroy the world but I am certain that Saddam never had anything like enough.
You'll all love this... http://www.carloslabs.com/projects/2...roundZero.html

...just type the name of your favourite city in the box and have endless hours of fun.

<credit to Le Chant over on the France forum for the link>
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Give that I shall be lodging in the Novotel, I think it quite likely that beer will be consumed somewhere in the GTA. Or Scotland.
Surely you can't buy 50 at the Yard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.