Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Originally Posted by dboy
Yes the UK it tougher (for the better). I believe, however, you are breaking the law as far as transportation goes of restricted/non restricted and prohibited firearms. The following is from the Firearms Act. I seem to recall from memory that there may be some wilderness exceptions to protect against bears/vermin etc. If you transport like this in town, you are most certainly breaking laws under the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code. These are Federal acts.

TRANSPORTATION OF RESTRICTED FIREARMS

11. An individual may transport a restricted firearm only if

(a) it is unloaded;

(b) it is rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device;

(c) it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation; and

(d) if it is in a container described in paragraph (c) that is in an unattended vehicle,

(i) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the container is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked, and

(ii) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the vehicle, or the part of the vehicle that contains the container, is securely locked and the container is not visible from outside the vehicle.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-r...rag%5B1%5D.pdf
Those are the rules for restricted weapons. A shotgun, for example, isn't a restricted weapon.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Those are the rules for restricted weapons. A shotgun, for example, isn't a restricted weapon.
Still, its not a good idea to drive around with a loaded shotgun in your car. Or pickup truck.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
Still, its not a good idea to drive around with a loaded shotgun in your car. Or pickup truck.

G'won! It's not legal to drive around with a loaded anything but where you have to place an unloaded, trigger guarded, firearm depends on the type. It's not legal to shoot from a vehicle even if stationary, btw, so there's little point in having a loaded gun in a car. I mention all this only by of illustration of the lack of gun control in Ontario (all of Canada I expect).

As noted way upthread I think the ready availability of firearms and the relatively low rate of gun crime (>Europe but <some US cities) indicates a largely peaceable population. Still, lots of guns means lots of shootings.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:12 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Read the attachment i included on the original post - it is the same cheat sheet I used when I was a patrol cop. You certainly can't leave the gun in the bed of a truck (unless you have a locked canopy).

I will also say this, guns make cops very, very nervous. Rural cops may be more accustomed to seeing long guns on a daily basis but in the city if you had any gun in plain sight you would very likely, almost certainly, be removed from the vehicle at gun point!

You are right, however, that it serves as a great example that Canadian's have a very mature attitude towards legally owned firearms. Unlike our neighbours to the south.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqh6A...eature=related
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dboy
Read the attachment i included on the original post - it is the same cheat sheet I used when I was a patrol cop. You certainly can't leave the gun in the bed of a truck (unless you have a locked canopy).

I will also say this, guns make cops very, very nervous. Rural cops may be more accustomed to seeing long guns on a daily basis but in the city if you had any gun in plain sight you would very likely, almost certainly, be removed from the vehicle at gun point!

You are right, however, that it serves as a great example that Canadian's have a very mature attitude towards legally owned firearms. Unlike our neighbours to the south.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqh6A...eature=related
From the crib sheet:

"If the vehicle does not have a trunk... firearm must be out of sight...".

The local OPP detachment interpret throwing a coat over it in the bed of the truck as meeting that requirement. I concede however that this is a very liberal interpretation and one cannot count on the police in the next county taking the same view. I also concede that there's no telling what a nervous cop might do and that it's better not to antagonise them.

I can't tell the difference between Americans and Canadians so any difference in their attitudes towards firearms or, indeed, anything else, is too subtle for me.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:43 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happened to using common sense and logic. You shouldn't need rules or laws to tell you not to have a gun in full view in your vehicle.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by startwin
Whatever happened to using common sense and logic. You shouldn't need rules or laws to tell you not to have a gun in full view in your vehicle.
Common sense no longer exists it has been renamed "rare sense".
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by startwin
I'm not saying I drive around with ordnance stacked high in my pastel New Beetle convertible, just that, since it's not lockable, it's borderline legal to do so. The original point was just that there isn't really any gun control in Canada. Almost everyone can have a gun though there are some rules around transportation and storage.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone remember that Chris Moyles song - "guns don't kill people - rabbits do!"

Sorry, I digress.

There is no panacea to deal with gun crime, knife crime or any other type of crime which is violent, having worked in the prison system I conclude there will always be a violent/criminal element in every society. So whether you are in Canada, the UK or anywhere else you will be aware of it.

The nice thing about Canada though, is the ability to avoid it, you may have to live in the middle of nowhere in the windy city of Lethbridge to do it, but none the less, you are way more removed than you would be in the UK, where you are never very far from a large urban population.

Sorry to be so negative about society, but when you hear of families where it's a right of passage to go to prison and seen as a "coming of age" for the men of the family, one can only conclude, that some cycles are very likely going to remain.

Over all I feel much safer here, but then again, the city is run by Mormons and Christian Fundamentalists with 0 tolerance, so why wouldn't I? Go 2 hours north to Calgary, and I know that it's quite a different story.

Ms M x
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:24 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=dbd33;7248085]From the crib sheet:

"If the vehicle does not have a trunk... firearm must be out of sight...".

Did you read the attachment?? out of sight in a locked vehicle. Leaving a firearm accessible to anyone in the bed of a truck is not only illegal, it is very irresponsible.

Sounds like the cops in your town are cowboys - they should know better.