Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't drink 50, I just buy it for visitors so they can experience Canadian beer. Most don't get as far as putting it in their mouths.
<Memo to self: It'll soon be 27 years since we first arrived in Canada: Sample the 50>.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

I don't drink 50, I just buy it for visitors so they can experience Canadian beer. Most don't get as far as putting it in their mouths.
It is pretty brutal in the bottle....better on tap...a sure sign you are in a class establishment if they have 50 on tap.

When I first came here Old Vienna was the generic canadian beer that was popular with the teenagers....it seems to have lost its cachet along with Molson Golden, Brador, Molson Stock Ale, Export.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
It is pretty brutal in the bottle....better on tap...a sure sign you are in a class establishment if they have 50 on tap.

When I first came here Old Vienna was the generic canadian beer that was popular with the teenagers....it seems to have lost its cachet along with Molson Golden, Brador, Molson Stock Ale, Export.
Export is still popular in noisy, crowded bars; it's easy to gesture with two crossed fingers.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Give em Coors or Budweiser then they can experience making love in a canoe.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Export is still popular in noisy, crowded bars; it's easy to gesture with two crossed fingers.
And even easier with uncrossed ones.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Give em Coors or Budweiser then they can experience making love in a canoe.
I assume you know that all the mass produced beers have the same alcohol content, regardless of whether they're nominally Canadian beers or nominally US beers, and regardless of whether it says 4% or 5% on the tin. The difference between Coors and Budweiser and any popular Molson or Labatt product is just the taste; a difference too subtle for me to determine.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And even easier with uncrossed ones.
Well, yes, if it's X you want, you can use crossed forearms to order from 100 yards out.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:33 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pgtips
I have read through many post on this website and also contributed to many.
One thing that strikes me is how defensive those Brits who have moved to Canada have become about Canada. If anybody says anything that contradicts their belief of the Canadian Utopia they have moved to they are beaten down, ridiculed, post deleted, called names like troll. Where has that Brit sense of humour gone, that British pride.

Brits make their homes all over the world and one thing the world likes about Brits is their Britishness and pride.

Reading through some post I am starting to think Canada is kinda like a 'Stepford Wives' kind of society. Anybody who does not follow the strict rules and has any other opinion is to be exterminated.

Why is it that the Brits who have emigrated to other parts of the world are still proud to be british yet the ones who have moved to Canada slag Britain off at the nearest opportunity ?
I think it may also to do with how long one has been in Canada. Perhaps someone who moved in say the last couple of years is still going through the " have I done the right thing" mode and is validating their feelings on this forum.

To those of us who have been here longer (i've been here for 16 years) what you may be seeing is a sense of pride, much the same as a Brit will jump to the defence of Blighty, a Canadian will jump to the defence of Canada. More time is a greater sense of ownership.

Although i still have pride in being British, there is little left there for me, other than family. Canada, as a whole, offers far more than the UK. utopia, hmmmm, would n't necessarily say that, but that's always a matter of perspective. I have embraced Canada and I am just as proud to say i'm Canadian as British.

Some people are too sensitive true, but this forum is all about opinions.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:33 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog
Next you're going to be telling us that you like Laurentide.

Hey Souve....I was in Aylmer a couple of days ago and loaded up on beer...prices are much better......a 24 of 'cinquante' was $22.99 + deposit...I opted for Boreale which was $26.99 a 24.
The rule of thumb is that you buy beer on this side and wine on the other side. Unless, like us, you buy wine in bulk, which makes the SAQ Depot worth a visit. Did I mention SAQ Depot to you before?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<Memo to self: It'll soon be 27 years since we first arrived in Canada: Sample the 50>.
I'll hold you to that.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:37 pm

The difference between Coors and Budweiser and any popular Molson or Labatt product is just the taste; a difference too subtle for me to determine.
Coors makes me fart more toxically than the others.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dboy
To those of us who have been here longer (i've been here for 16 years) what you may be seeing is a sense of pride, much the same as a Brit will jump to the defence of Blighty, a Canadian will jump to the defence of Canada. More time is a greater sense of ownership.
Apples and bananas, surely. A Brit who has been in Canada for a while isn't really a Canadian. He or she may have a Canadian passport but so does everyone and his dog. Canadian passport holders are typically still nationals of their home country as well as holding a Canadian passport for reasons of convenience.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Let me levelset expectations here, an unhypenated person will shortly reach out to me as a stakeholder and expect a proactive response lasting all morning. I'll be back here, and I hope back to using English, today afternoon.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Why is it that the Brits who have emigrated to other parts of the world are still proud to be british yet the ones who have moved to Canada slag Britain off at the nearest opportunity ?
I disagree: based on all the other BE forums I'd say people who have moved to (or just want to move to) Australia are much more likely to slag off the UK
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Apples and bananas, surely. A Brit who has been in Canada for a while isn't really a Canadian. He or she may have a Canadian passport but so does everyone and his dog. Canadian passport holders are typically still nationals of their home country as well as holding a Canadian passport for reasons of convenience.
So what do all the Polish and European immigrants in the UK say about England?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.