Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are people so defensive about Canada ?

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Wow. It's amazing that the economic cost is $6 billion. I wonder how they work that out?
I imagine they figure in the lost earnings of people disabled by shooting, I expect they assume that everyone so disabled would otherwisre have been a Donald Trump.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I imagine they figure in the lost earnings of people disabled by shooting, I expect they assume that everyone so disabled would otherwisre have been a Donald Trump.
They probably factor in the cost of the police manpower to investigate, and the cost of the medical assistance.

A lot of this could be saved if the gun users learned to aim better.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

sugar will become famous soon enoughsugar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pgtips
I have read through many post on this website and also contributed to many.
One thing that strikes me is how defensive those Brits who have moved to Canada have become about Canada. If anybody says anything that contradicts their belief of the Canadian Utopia they have moved to they are beaten down, ridiculed, post deleted, called names like troll. Where has that Brit sense of humour gone, that British pride.

Brits make their homes all over the world and one thing the world likes about Brits is their Britishness and pride.

Reading through some post I am starting to think Canada is kinda like a 'Stepford Wives' kind of society. Anybody who does not follow the strict rules and has any other opinion is to be exterminated.

Why is it that the Brits who have emigrated to other parts of the world are still proud to be british yet the ones who have moved to Canada slag Britain off at the nearest opportunity ?
I don't think it is a matter of being defensive only a little annoyed by what some of the dissatisfied Brits have to say about Canada on this forum and the "returning to England" one.If you cannot settle here fine go home but don't put the country down, their are many good things here.
Remember there was a reason you left Blighty in the first place, and many people have a selective memory, we all tend to remember the good stuff.
If you want to go home folks do so but please don't put off the prospective newcomers with many of your petty complaints and snide remarks.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:31 pm

ville303 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sugar
I don't think it is a matter of being defensive only a little annoyed by what some of the dissatisfied Brits have to say about Canada on this forum and the "returning to England" one.If you cannot settle here fine go home but don't put the country down, their are many good things here.
Remember there was a reason you left Blighty in the first place, and many people have a selective memory, we all tend to remember the good stuff.
If you want to go home folks do so but please don't put off the prospective newcomers with many of your petty complaints and snide remarks.
This thread is very subjective....Whilst I am proud to be british and embrace our heritage and culture...it has been lost somewhat. We do not celebtrate St Georges Day in the manner that Canada does for Canada Day etc....
There are lots of good things that are british ie our football, royal family (envy of the world whether you like it or not)
BUT there are a lot of issues in the UK that need to be straightened out. The reason I like Canada...
Things seem to be straightforward, structured and there is certainly more freedom. There will be issues wherever you go.....
Canada is my Utopia...sorry....
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sugar
And, diversity is what makes the World interesting. Countries are not supposed to be the same. What a boring life it would be if everywhere was identical. Spending a part of one's life in a different country is a great experience but it does not have to be forever.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:04 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by johnh009
And, diversity is what makes the World interesting. Countries are not supposed to be the same. What a boring life it would be if everywhere was identical. Spending a part of one's life in a different country is a great experience but it does not have to be forever.
Yes, and Canada's the best, that's all
Those that know know.. those that don't wouldn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...Livable_Cities
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:08 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
Yes, and Canada's the best, that's all
Those that know know.. those that don't wouldn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...Livable_Cities
Oh oh..
UK is near the bottom on that above ranked most livable Country to live.

That does not mean I am not proud to be British, but I do agree to the above survey. Aside from Canada to live I'd pick NZ before I'd choose to live in the UK again; or Melbourne - not been there but would like to visit sometime. I lived in Europe, Germany and Norway during Childhood and I also happened to love living there more than the UK, sorry to have to admit to that but it is true on my part and I am just being honest.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:06 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
Oh oh..
UK is near the bottom on that above ranked most livable Country to live.

That does not mean I am not proud to be British, but I do agree to the above survey. Aside from Canada to live I'd pick NZ before I'd choose to live in the UK again; or Melbourne - not been there but would like to visit sometime. I lived in Europe, Germany and Norway during Childhood and I also happened to love living there more than the UK, sorry to have to admit to that but it is true on my part and I am just being honest.
OK, well if this os the case why is it that Canada is over 36 times the size of the UK but only has half the population

Why does Canada have to advertise for foreigners to move there if it is so attractive a place to live ?

Why is Canada so sparsley populated if it is such a Utopia ?

One answer which come to mind is that most people do not wish to live in a deep freezer for half the year.

The UK is not all pretty but she still has the pick of the worlds labour force fighting to get in, I suppose there is just this unexplanable love affair with the UK which the rest of the world just cannot get enough of. Always remember Britannia rules the waves
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:36 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

OK, well if this os the case why is it that Canada is over 36 times the size of the UK but only has half the population

Why does Canada have to advertise for foreigners to move there if it is so attractive a place to live ?

One answer which come to mind is that most people do not wish to live in a deep freezer for half the year.

The UK is not all pretty but she still has the pick of the worlds labour force fighting to get in, I suppose there is just this unexplanable love affair with the UK which the rest of the world just cannot get enough of. Always remember Britannia rules the waves
What
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:27 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Very real point

often when a employer is looking for the Canadian experience they mean has stuck out one winter and won't go home as soon as the next one starts...

Its a big reason for people from all around the world for quitting Canada and going home

Why does Canada advertise and recruit immigrants, simple it has negative population growth, and a birth rate around 1.2
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is heavily over-populated.

It doesn't have to advertise, but it does so because it wants to. The UK advertises jobs in in foreign media and trade journals too.

Part of the reason I like Canada is precisely because it is so sparsely populated.

I much prefer the dry cold of Canada to the damp rain of the UK. Living in a freezer for 4 1/2 months of the year beats living in the UK.

In Aug 2008, there were approximately 1.72 million unemployed in the UK. Most countries have citizens who choose to emigrate, but the US is the country that's seen as the land of opportunity, the UK is seen as more of a place for those who regard the UK as a soft touch, and who want to take advantage of our system. So-called asylum seekers routinely made their way to the UK from the Balkans instead of seeking refuge in any of the other countries they travelled through due to the tougher restrictions these people would have faced there.

Canada isn't perfect, neither is it the answer for everyone. Anyone can tell you their own personal experience but the only way anyone can and should decide is to try it themselves for at least 2yrs. If it works out, great. If not, then they've had an adventure.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Part of the reason I like Canada is precisely because it is so sparsely populated.
The quotes above are a bit tangled but if this was yours Captain it's a bit of an odd thing to say. Scarborough isn't sparsely populated. Neither is the GTA as a whole and neither is the Quebec-Windsor corridor. I suggest that, for someone living in Scarborough the experienced population density is the same as for someone living in Finchley; it's just as far to the nearest field and takes just as long to get there.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
1,200 for Canada as a whole in 2008.

www.toronto.ca/handgunban/pdf/factsheet.pdf

30,000,000 people in Canada, 10,000,000 in London. The suggests a rate ten times higher in Canada. The proportion of people having guns is certainly more than ten times higher so, Canada has more risk of being shot but nonetheless people who are disinclined to shoot.
now who's guilty of misusing statistics? The "fact" sheet to which you refer takes its headline number from a StatCan report http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-...008002-eng.pdf . I'm not sure where the 1,200 comes from (I can only see the abstract of the CMAJ article cited) but even from the abstract "Suicides and attempted suicides accounted for the bulk of the costs" - and since suicide is not a criminal offence in Canada, this figure is misleading if used in a discussion about gun crime rather than death by firearm (it also may include accidental death by shooting...).

The StatCan report actually quotes 190 homicides committed with a firearm in Canada in 2006, and 276 instances of attempted murder with a firearm.

Having said that, the report also gives a like-for-like comparison with other countries, which seems to bear out dbd's assertion that homicide by firearm in Canada is worse than the UK but better than the US. By the numbers, for 2006:

United States: 3.40 gun homicides per 100,000 population; 1.61 non-firearm-related homicides per 100,000
Canada: 0.58 and 1.27 respectively
Australia: 0.22 and 1.11
England & Wales: 0.10 and 1.15
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
now who's guilty of misusing statistics?
Extreme statistics selected to exaggerate a point which is true but not very interesting. That's just marketing. I feel no guilt.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

Stats are calculated in such a way as to make them totally ambiguous, can no-one remember the lesson on mean, mode, and median from school and how using the three different rules on the same data set gave differing results.(the lesson involving collecting shoe sizes and then making graphs and finally studying the averages.
But hey if you enjoy arguing the toss over totally subjective statistics calculated to demonstrate whatever the person collating them wishes, then hey knock yourselves out! remember that stats give false figures because they cannot be processed without an objective and therefore cannot be free from subjectivity, no matter how neutral the calculator seems to be wherever there is a goal there will be bias

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.