British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

PaulOK Feb 19th 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357828)
another typical canadian :rofl:

Boy...I bet Canadians are really sad you're going home soon ;)

BTW don't you find it deliciously ironic that an immigrant to Canada is complaining about immigration to Canada? Funny old world, eh?

Falcore Feb 19th 2010 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by PaulOK (Post 8357927)
Boy...I bet Canadians are really sad you're going home soon ;)

BTW don't you find it deliciously ironic that an immigrant to Canada is complaining about immigration to Canada? Funny old world, eh?

Thats the bit I dont get. What is it that makes him think hes any different to any other immigrant?

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:52 pm

Paul
Dont worry old son - this is one immigrant that is glad not to be an immigrant for much longer.:rofl:

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:53 pm

Falcore
Step inside my shoes and you will understand. It wil become all so clear:blink:

iaink Feb 19th 2010 2:54 pm

OK, please dont feed any poster you might consider to be trolling.

Feel free to report any post beyond this point that may be considered as offensive, racist or abusive.

PaulOK Feb 19th 2010 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Falcore (Post 8357938)
Thats the bit I dont get. What is it that makes him think hes any different to any other immigrant?

'cause he's a White man and some white men think they have the god-given right to live anywhere on the planet they choose (unlike the Blacks, Browns, Yellows etc.).

I think it's all sour grapes though. He couldn't get a new LMO so is forced to return to England - if he had managed to get one, and get PR, then his tune would be somewhat different.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 2:56 pm

duhhh - big brothers got his big boots on :rofl:

iaink Feb 19th 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357957)
duhhh - big brothers got his big boots on :rofl:

"Big Brother" just wants a quiet life. Take a hint why dont you.

Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.

PaulOK Feb 19th 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8357924)
Is that Paulo di Canio in your avatar?

Yep, an absolute Hammers legend and the greatest player that I have ever seen play "live".

And before you point it out Jingsamichty, it's a football thing.....I think his politics suck! :)

macadian Feb 19th 2010 2:59 pm

Failures are usually the most conceited of men: - D.H. Lawrence.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 3:00 pm

actually Paul - you are quite wrong.
Had I got an extended work permit and/or our PRs - I would still question the procedure as to why it takes anything between 2 and 4 years to acquire such.:confused:

mocol Feb 19th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa (Post 8355583)
In the four weeks we were there, we never saw litter, or vandalism or met a doped-up junky. Nothing but happy, welcoming people.

That was the impression we always left with when we were on holiday. In reality it is not quite like that. There is litter, vandalism and doped up junkies it just depends where you look. It seems like people here have been trained to be welcoming but it doesn't often go far below the surface. They are generally very friendly but not so easy to make friends with.

When we were on holiday we definitely had our rose coloured glasses on.
Having said that we love the place and have no desire to go back to the UK even for a vacation.

Jingsamichty Feb 19th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by PaulOK (Post 8357963)
Yep, an absolute Hammers legend and the greatest player that I have ever seen play "live".

And before you point it out Jingsamichty, it's a football thing.....I think his politics suck! :)

I agree. I think he was one of the greatest players ever, right up there with the very best in the world. A pure joy to watch.

Complete bonkers Nazi though!

iaink Feb 19th 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357976)
actually Paul - you are quite wrong.
Had I got an extended work permit and/or our PRs - I would still question the procedure as to why it takes anything between 2 and 4 years to acquire such.:confused:

It doesnt any more. Under the new system thats in place new PR applicants tend to be here in less than a year now. Of course, that's little consolation to those trapped in the nightmare of the old system...

mocol Feb 19th 2010 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8355689)
I just received an email from somebody on here - am I mis-reading it or is there an element of truth by what is written?

"White Canadian’s are very false. They must learn the art of backstabbing in hockey at an early age, or something. They'll be 'nice' to your face while spreading lies about you to your co workers or even your boss. Don't ever talk about something controversial with them either, like politics. Basically they're mild mannered, passive-aggressive twits that are best dealt with aggressively. Don't ever think they're your friends. The only friend a Wasp Canadian has is a dog or cat. People to them are lower than rats.
Just suck what you can out of them before they're able to suck what they want out of you....because, make no mistake. You are only as good as what you can do for them, and only as long as you are able to do it. You're just a number to them.
What do you expect from a people where no one talks to one another in the streets, people dress shabbily, they live to work and not work to live and for whom the highest aspiration is to watch hockey with a beer in one hand and channel changer in the other.

Wait till China and India take over your economy
By the way, if you are educated you should know China & India are bigger economies in term of GDP than Canada. Play hockey, drink beer you uneducated jerks.

Mmmmm - food for thought for the foreign worker

Sadly I think hidden in this message there is an element of truth.