Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:55 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Go F yourself, buddy. I need reply from those who can relate. Others don't need to reply.
that's a bit narcissistic of you.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:52 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
that's a bit narcissistic of you.

There are some elements of truth in what he says, but the manner in which he descends into hyperbole, sterotyping and mass generalizations provoked my reaction. Not to mention referring to everyone from Vancouver as being lazy and dumb.

Last edited by dboy; Feb 20th 2010 at 9:58 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:28 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue monday
Have to be honest that is one thing about the US is Americans are proud to be American, waiving the flag, swearing allegiance every morning at school etc, but over in the UK we can't be seen to waive the flag as it can been seen as offensive to ethnic minorities etc etc and practically no one can sing the national anthem! Thats prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place, no pride in being British anymore.
that must be a different uk to the one I'm living in
Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

YORKSHIRE LAD will become famous soon enough

New member - just thought I'd throw my two penneth in...

We moved from the UK to Canada 8 years ago - for a new work challenge and a different way of life. Spent 44 years living in the UK and would never knock it. Sure, you can find idiots in the UK, but you can find them in Toronto, Botswana or any where you choose.

Canada offers great people from all cultures, lots of space and a laid back lifestyle....the 'cottage' is the life of most rural based Canadians. I've worked for Global Corps, and for small Canadian family business...lovely workmates and a real team culture.

I guess it depends if you look at the glass - half empty or half full.

Mine's half full...most days
Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:55 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people in Toronto seem to go cottaging from what I hear. Nice to hear they enjoy their weekends so much

Last edited by lmartin999; Feb 20th 2010 at 11:59 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:20 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Yes, all white Canadians are like that, and we're all very worried about China and India having bigger economies.

Who'd have thunked that could ever have happened, given the population discrepancies?

It's a terribly depressing and insular place.
SWOOOOOSH Sweeping statements.... All are like that? Total bollocks, just like any population some are like that and some are criminal.

In my limited 5 year experience they tend to be private and keep to themselves. Yes they smile in your face and then don't invite you back or return your openess, but hardly back stabbing, true in general they are passive and some are passive aggressive. But I saw some pretty passive aggressive bosses in the UK. In general I behave here with the same ethics as in the UK, do what you say you will do, maintain your integrity, work hard, contribute to the team, earn their respect and ensure that the praise is delivered publicly to the people who earned it and your team will back you to the hilt.

Most people everywhere in the world want to live a peaceful law abiding life pursuing happiness for their families. There is little truth to big stereo type views of nations
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:22 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
i didn't understand a word of that.
Me neither
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:27 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Go F yourself, buddy. I need reply from those who can relate. Others don't need to reply.
Never been to Vcouver, but I like living in NB. It can be tough in otherways here, but there is definitely a sense of work and life. If I worked until 6:30 as is my WASP ethic, I am pretty much the last person in the city still working especially if it is Friday!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:34 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
SWOOOOOSH Sweeping statements.... All are like that? Total bollocks, just like any population some are like that and some are criminal.
I guess you missed the intended sarcasm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 4:49 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Lots of people in Toronto seem to go cottaging from what I hear. Nice to hear they enjoy their weekends so much
Pervs.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:31 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by R I C H
I guess you missed the intended sarcasm.
I did wonder, and my sarcasm detection radar has been malfunctioning recently.... I'm working too hard
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bali2010
that must be a different uk to the one I'm living in
Well lets see, there was the recent issue of Met Police officers who were told they couldn't where the Union jack on their uniform, then there was an issue a few years back with Worksop town hall banning the Union Jack being flown at the town hall through fear of offending people. Arsenal FC banned the flying of National Flags in its stadium, There are other examples too.

Thankfully The Met and Worksop council saw sense and did a u turn.

Last edited by blue monday; Feb 21st 2010 at 12:32 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Well lets see, there was the recent issue of Met Police officers who were told they couldn't where the Union jack on their uniform, then there was an issue a few years back with Worksop town hall banning the Union Jack being flown at the town hall through fear of offending people. Arsenal FC banned the flying of National Flags in its stadium, There are other examples too.

Thankfully The Met and Worksop council saw sense and did a u turn.
So the only people in the country that you know of who will not display the flag are Arsenal FC?

Thats prob a big reason why so many of us can't wait to leave the place, no pride in being British anymore.
Do you honestly believe that? You're inability to be a proud Britain leads you to move to a "foreign" country? And by that, you hope to achieve what?

Just curious is all.

Last edited by el_richo; Feb 21st 2010 at 1:00 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by el_richo
So the only people in the country that you know of who will not display the flag are Arsenal FC?

Do you honestly believe that? You're inability to be a proud Britain leads you to move to a "foreign" country? And by that, you hope to achieve what?

Just curious is all.
Don't think I ever said I was not proud to be British. I was meerly pointing out aspects of the cultural decline of the UK, that is but one type of example, the entire thread contains many examples of the decline in the UK society. I haven't got the time or inclantion to list all the examples in regard to not flying the flag

re what I hope to achieve well I plan on educating the 33 Million Canadians who are not UK expats how to speak the queens English as she is the head of state yet.

Its Football not Soccer, Its a Pavement not a Sidewalk, Its a Boot not a Trunk, Its a Bonnet not a Hood, its a Central reservation not a median, its a Body Warmer not a Vest. Oh and Fanny is not your bottom (I still can't work out how that got lost in translation across the Atlantic).
Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:21 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I was meerly pointing out aspects of the cultural decline of the UK,
I'd be curious to know what you think these are as I didn't see any in your previous posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.