Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:10 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by EasyRider
What? It's you acting like have never finished high school. I think what you're really trying to say is that Vancouver is a boring mediocre backwater, but can't admit and say this here 'cause of all bunch of your complexes? Are places like New York, Chicago, Montreal for "grown ups" as well or Vancouver apparently got a leg on these places?

Weak.
My comment was based on the fact that you childishly restored to name calling. I don't have a complex, just don't agree with the diatribe that you passed off as a post. Is Vancouver boring? Well interms of bar hopping, which I imagine is how you define a place, then yes, it is, you'll get no arguments from me. There's more to a place than pubs and clubs. When you grow up you'll realize that.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:40 am
Just Joined

EasyRider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
My comment was based on the fact that you childishly restored to name calling. I don't have a complex, just don't agree with the diatribe that you passed off as a post. Is Vancouver boring? Well interms of bar hopping, which I imagine is how you define a place, then yes, it is, you'll get no arguments from me. There's more to a place than pubs and clubs. When you grow up you'll realize that.
You think aforementioned places seem not boring for me because of bars and clubs? I don't give much *** (or else he'll call me childish!) about bars and pubs though how can be good pubs a bad thing I don't know.

You're like hanging out here and call whatever you don't like "a bunch of crap"? And you tell me you're grown up, sure of that? You're in a bubble of delusional assumptions, sir.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:57 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

You think aforementioned places seem not boring for me because of bars and clubs? I don't give much *** (or else he'll call me childish!) about bars and pubs though how can be good pubs a bad thing I don't know.

You're like hanging out here and call whatever you don't like "a bunch of crap"? And you tell me you're grown up, sure of that? You're in a bubble of delusional assumptions, sir.
i didn't understand a word of that.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Think we can all agree that all the hot hip tourist and nice climate cities in a given country are full of real estate speculation, narcissists, and whatever else you call them. People complain of the same thing from the coasts of Spain to Florida and everywhere else that is a magnet for snowbirds. BTW wasps stands for White Anglo-Saxon Protestants so it was redundant mentioning wasps and protestants. But hey if you're complaining about wasp culture and want to know about Québec, aren't you British? Why don't you move to France instead of Québec? Québeccers aren't terribly different from the rest of Canada, they just speak a different language and have a few things that are different but they still work 40 hour work weeks and have 2-3 or so weeks of vacation off a year. Québec is by no means a mini France
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:51 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mocol
...we hear tales of what the UK is like now it makes it easier to bear.
What tales? It's looking up, work wise, from what I see in may areas.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:59 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mocol
I hope your eventual return to the UK is a good one and that you are not disappointed in what you find there.
Unfortunately i think this person will have a hard time if his view on immigrants (ironic) is anything to go on.

The influx in "non British" folk will keep his blood pressure levels high.

The guy is a waste of space
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:02 am
Beep

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Plus add to the fact that British people come visit the U.S. and Canada and think they are entitled to live here simply because they speak English and both of our countries used to be British colonies.
We do?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:17 am
Beep

...she feels that she's treated like a 2nd class citizen because she's English.
I don't
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:36 am
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm glad that you're catching on. You too can contribute to the Oinki.
Thank you, though I am not sure what the oinki is

US is better, at least 4/5 of my country isn't frozen tundra
Well if I make it to Canada I will be able to go to the US for Vacations and if I make my millions the I will be able to stay there while Canada freezes in winter

That's what I don't understand, as an American anyway. Why would waving the Union Jack about or St. George's Cross be offensive, latter being illegal last I heard??
Maybe it is just an English thing, as here in Scotland there is no problems about flying the Saltire (or the Union Jack)

There is one house on my street and another nearby that have got the Saltire flag flying.

Though ym British girlfriend does say the same thing, and is quite sick of it as well, she feels that she's treated like a 2nd class citizen because she's English.
I do not either and I live in Scotland

Though technically that makes me an immigrant so maybe that is why I am having no problems
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devil Girl
Thank you, though I am not sure what the oinki is

Maybe it is just an English thing, as here in Scotland there is no problems about flying the Saltire (or the Union Jack)

There is one house on my street and another nearby that have got the Saltire flag flying.

I do not either and I live in Scotland

Though technically that makes me an immigrant so maybe that is why I am having no problems
I thought it was like that, can anyone enlighten me as to why a lot of the equality and antidiscrimination legislation seems to only apply to people in England? Like I'm sure that it applies to all the land but, poster I quoted seems to confirm for me what I always suspected and that is it's mostly the English getting the sharp end of the stick?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

blue mondays girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blue monday
Awesome, thats what im talking about, a 'proper' circuit As you say I should have done better research.

Ill have to perused the wife to be to move to BC though as I imaging it's a long drive there Lol. Then again its a quick flight on westjet for a weekend trip to the races.

That now means I can't think of one negative about Canada, ah except the holiday entitlement but I can live with that in all honesty.
We're not moving, babe. We can fly all you want, though.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:00 pm

mocol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
What tales? It's looking up, work wise, from what I see in may areas.
Friends and family who we speak with have a different view - depends on the area I suppose.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:03 pm

mocol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
Unfortunately i think this person will have a hard time if his view on immigrants (ironic) is anything to go on.

The influx in "non British" folk will keep his blood pressure levels high.
That is why I hope he won't be disappointed. There was a reason why he left the UK in the first place - those reasons are probably still valid but in the time he has been away the country has moved on and it is not the place he left. So if he didn't like it then, he sure as hell won't now.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I understand where they are coming from. I have a question-- does it hold true for the province of Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City)? Who can tell?

I'm almost certain not, I'm in Vancouver and I'm looking to escape this awful, cold, almost Darwinian social culture of narcissism and segregation. Very antisocial existence, there are no interesting real communities worth mentioning or common bond here. Some thrive in all that, but it's just not my cup of tea. Comparing to Europe-- life's totally antisocial here. I think the OP who has sent this is from Western Canada, likely Vancouver.

I'm honestly tired of wasps and protestants with their live-to-work corporate-brainwashed culture with cities that leave impression of large labor camps after you actually try to "live" there for a while with some cheap entertainment thrown for color.

I just wanted to confirm-- is Quebec culture so different from the rest of Canada? I'm looking for a place in Canada where people are actually lively and laid back (not lazy or dumb like so many in Vancouver), can have genuine fun and can let go (not these stiff anglo-saxon parties with pretend fun) and people talk to each other on the streets. I've heard Montreal is much like Barcelona which would be great. Why would I stay in Vancouver then?

As for Vancouver I can't wait to leave, the place is seriously messed up socially and politically. People are backward and aren't able to work together and cooperate efficiently which has come to limelight during this Olympics-- scandal after scandal, poor planning, organization and implementation. Everybody just seems to want to escape any responsibility "I'm done-- F.U. attitude" and walk over the others heads at any cost. Very backward society-- back to the caves, I'd say. I like this post I found and resonate with it pretty well:
Did you resonate with this?

"You do not meet people who form their opinions based upon facts."

um....
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:44 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I certainly didn't mean to be offensive, sorry you took it that way. I was merely trotting out the same old baseless, nonsensical and overly generalized drivel that masquerades as factual reason in this thread. I thought it must all have been a joke, as no one could take these positions as anything other than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.