British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-263219/)

mugginflapps Jun 20th 2006 3:53 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
I paid just $70 for a year - less than 35 quid....and that's cheap!! No MOT's either (although I do wish they would implement some regulations on compulsory annual vehicle checks - have you seen some of the rust-buckets on the roads here :scared: )

The drivers are too busy talking on their cell phones to be worried about rust on their cars!

Butch Cassidy Jun 20th 2006 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by mugginflapps
The drivers are too busy talking on their cell phones to be worried about rust on their cars!

Which of course never happened in the uk!!!!

or4ngecrush Jun 20th 2006 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by alberta_jaycee
I paid just $70 for a year - less than 35 quid....and that's cheap!! No MOT's either (although I do wish they would implement some regulations on compulsory annual vehicle checks - have you seen some of the rust-buckets on the roads here :scared: )

My Canadian friend says in NS he has some sort of vehicle inspection thing (like an MOT) can't remember the name that he said. Has he got mixed up with something else? Do you really not have a similar MOT thing over in Canada?

Emma

or4ngecrush Jun 20th 2006 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

Of course it doesn't they like to map read and talk on their mobile phones at the same time as drive. lol

:D ;) :p

Butch Cassidy Jun 20th 2006 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Of course it doesn't they like to map read and talk on their mobile phones at the same time as drive. lol

:D ;) :p

you forget eat lunch, smoke a fag and swig out of a bottle.

Canada Bob Jun 20th 2006 4:01 pm

My Canadian friend says in NS he has some sort of vehicle inspection thing (like an MOT) can't remember the name that he said. Has he got mixed up with something else? Do you really not have a similar MOT thing over in Canada?

Emma

They do in Nova Scotia, that's for sure, pretty well the same as an MOT,

Far as I know most Provinces do the same...

Just speaking to a buddy in Bedford, Nova Scotia, he's ticked off that gas is now $1.11c a litre ! that's around 50p a litre...98p a litre here in Wigin :mad:

Canada Bob.

mugginflapps Jun 20th 2006 4:01 pm

ah! but you get arrested in the uk!

or4ngecrush Jun 20th 2006 4:02 pm

you forget eat lunch, smoke a fag and swig out of a bottle.

Oh aye thanks Butch for reminding me :cool:

or4ngecrush Jun 20th 2006 4:04 pm

I don't see it sorry. Doesn't seem to stop anyone, oh and where are the police?

or4ngecrush Jun 20th 2006 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Canada Bob

Just speaking to a buddy in Bedford, Nova Scotia, he's ticked off that gas is now $1.11c a litre ! that's around 50p a litre...98p a litre here in Wigin :mad:

Canada Bob.

99.9p here in Edinburgh, I wonder when they'll have to replace the signs when they get to 100p theres no room anymore (if you understand what I mean?)

iaink Jun 20th 2006 4:06 pm

Emma

No annual inspection in Ontario. Emmisions (and only emmisions) need to be checked every other year (although not necessarily passed, once you spend enough trying to pass you get a "conditional" pass, enough to renew your plate sticker).

The safety test is only required when registering a newly purchased used vehicle (which are more often than not sold already "safetied"). Without the safety and a bona fide emmisions test pass you cant (legally) drive it.

Of course the cops can prevent you driving an unsafe vehicle, but its the owners responsibility to keep it safe, not the governments.

License sticker is $72 here IIRC, a nice birthday present:(

Gas may be half the price, but we have to drive 4 times as far to get anywhere in a vehicle with at least twice the engine capacity... but at least we are able to keep moving and cruise control actually has some purpose here. Oh, and we mostly get paid in Canadian dollars at a level lower then we would get doing the same thing in the UK, so really its not worth comparing.

Butch Cassidy Jun 20th 2006 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Canada Bob

Canada Bob.

OK

Lets see

BC-Apparently not
AB-if its out of province
Sask-Been told not
MB-Again been told not
Ont-No (thanks Iain)
PQ-No (thanks Souvenir)
NB-??
NL-??
NS-YES
PEI-??

SO as far as I'm aware at most its 40% (50% if you count Albertas out of province vehicle inspections).

And PLEASE stop converting our gas prices back to sterling. I know very few who can convert their salary here back to sterling and be earning the same.

Butch Cassidy Jun 20th 2006 4:09 pm

One word to say that claim

BULLSHIT

You get a ticket and thats only if they can be arsed pulling you

or4ngecrush Jun 20th 2006 4:15 pm

One word to say that claim

BULLSHIT

You get a ticket and thats only if they can be arsed pulling you

Exactly thats what I originally meant to say. "Butch to the rescue again :p " Off the topic Butch will I see Beaver when I go to Halifax/New Glasgow/Stellarton/Cape Breton in October? ;)

Canada Bob Jun 20th 2006 4:16 pm

and PLEASE stop converting our gas prices back to sterling. I know very view who can convert there salary here back to sterling and be earning the same.

Hey Butch, take a powder, no need to get angsty, wages are regional not just Country to Country, but gasoline is like Gold {in more ways than one}, it is Internationally traded so there's no reason why prices should vary as much as they do, especially when the tax rate in Canada 80% is near the same tax rate as here in the UK approx 80%.

http://www.oilnergy.com/1cashpet.htm#gaso

I should add that unlike some posters I've never earned less when working in Canada than I would have been paid in the UK.

Canada Bob.