Reload this Page >

Why move to Canada?

Why move to Canada?

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Velouria
Yes thats what my aunt said last night. She has a certain number of candies to give out - after that - the lights go out!
In our neighbourhood in Victoria, one of us stays home till about 7pm, while the other takes the kids to the neighbourhood party.....after 7pm, we close down shop because most of the young kids are finished by that time....and I refuse to feed teenagers.......
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

Alberta is nice, big and empty ... it still retains a lot of the feel of being on the edge of Canadian wilderness.
Bliss. I've just dropped the grandson at home; 10 mile round trip, (Including 15 mins of the wife & daughter chatting) 1 hour 35 minutes. On a Sunday!! It was almost as bad as Saturday morning. Then again, it's quicker for me to cycle the 18 mile round trip to work than drive.

Trying to choose a destination from the UK isn't easy ... just don't spend too much straightaway when you get here ... keep your cash safe and decide where you're going to settle once you get your feet wet in Canada.

That's very sound advice, hence the wife and I planning trips to different cities at different times of the year. Next on the hit-list; Halifax and Calgary.

Hopefully summer '05.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:02 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
I refuse to feed teenagers.......
I overheard a checkout operator in a local store compiling a list of the best houses to target for trick or treating the other day ... eh? ... sorry, if you've got a job, I'm not giving you free candy.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Games can be any time from 6:30am to 7:00pm ... you'd think it was a bit rough on the little guys, but they seem to love it.

It didn't get a great write up ... we don't go very often.

It's the latest from Pixar ... if you've managed to miss it, you've been spending too much time hanging around tidal pools
We're not much movie-goers.....too expensive with 2 small kids and then you have to screen it first before you can take them....we usually wait for the video.......

Shark tale got rave reviews here in Victoria...interesting.....

I know, I've becoming one with my tidal pools - the greatest part is that they never talk back.......
Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Glaswegian]I overheard a checkout operator in a local store compiling a list of the best houses to target for trick or treating the other day ... eh? ... sorry, if you've got a job, I'm not giving you free candy.[/

Well, I think that even McGrouch would agree that Halloween is about young kids up to about 10 years...after that they can buy their only bloody candy......I'm very particular about who I hand out my mars bars to.

QUOTE]
Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:11 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

We're not much movie-goers.....too expensive
What's it cost per person?

and then you have to screen it first before you can take them
It's a Kids movie - why do you have to screen it?
Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:12 pm
Glaswegian

We're not much movie-goers.....too expensive with 2 small kids and then you have to screen it first before you can take them....we usually wait for the video.......
The movies are too expensive ... especially if you're too chicken to smuggle candy in.

Shark tale got rave reviews here in Victoria...interesting.....
I usually use rotten tomatoes, the overall score tends to be pretty accurate.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com

I know, I've becoming one with my tidal pools - the greatest part is that they never talk back.......
Start worrying when you hear the little fishy voices inside your head

Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IckleHelen

Because we are very particular about what our kids 2/4 do and don't see....and kid's movies although they may be rated as "kids"....do not always fit my description of a kids movie......the way they rate movies and tv shows in Canada is absolutely absurd.....but I was speaking about screening any movie my kids see
Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTEI Thanks for this....I've bookmarked it....for future use

it's not the fishy voices I'm worried about ....it's when the anemones start talking to me......

Let us know how the game goes today.....

[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:25 pm
Glaswegian

For four of us, it works out to about $40 - I think it's $10.95 for adults, a little less for the kids ... the candy and snacks are ludicrously expensive.

Like Willmore says, you can't always be sure what's in them ... my kids are 6 & 7, so they get to see the occasional PG movie ... I have their satellite reciever locked down so they can't watch anything above a general release when we're not monitoring ... it's one of the reasons for going for satellite or digital cable ... you can filter out individual shows based on their ratings.

I was stunned when we sat down to watch the SuperBowl this year ... we didn't get as far as Janet Jackson's infamous flash ... the r-rated trailer for Van Helsing in one of the first ad breaks was too much for us.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Because we are very particular about what our kids 2/4 do and don't see....and kid's movies although they may be rated as "kids"....do not always fit my description of a kids movie......the way they rate movies and tv shows in Canada is absolutely absurd.....but I was speaking about screening any movie my kids see
I've got 5 year-old twins - I know what you mean. I use www.moviemom.com for a general idea of how suitable a 'family' movie is going to be
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:29 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by jonthelad
I've got 5 year-old twins - I know what you mean. I use www.moviemom.com for a general idea of how suitable a 'family' movie is going to be
Just read that the Incredibles is getting a PG rating ... aparently someone gets blown up, I don't know how graphic it is ... but let's face it, you didn't see Bambi's Mom get shot on screen, but that was traumatic enough for my generation.

Explaining what happened to Nemo's Mom and the rest of the eggs was bad enough ... explaining why one of the main characters in a cartoon doesn't survive an explosion will be a challenge.

Thanks, I'll check out that website.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:33 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Sorry for delay in replying Glaswegian, A party on Saturday left me with my head in a bucket all day Sunday!!!!!!!!
Answer is " a jack ( or jill" of all trades) By profession I am a Technical and Graphic Illustrator/Designer, also I am a wildlife artist, hence my love of the island and desire to live there. There is a huge network of artists on the island, and no shortage of places to inspire me. I have always been freelance.
I also own a retail/wholesale/import/ e-commerce business, which i will keep involved with in Canada, as it is international, I can do most from my computer.
My husband is main applicant, applying as an "ologist!"......can't remember which one he applied under, but he is quite versatile.

We are going to be living in Courtney, and are back over in 5 weeks to get house furnished, and do a bit of networking.
We were going to apply under business visa, but did not like the restrictions.
So applied under skilled, so we can leave our options open.
I have always mainly worked for myself and with only 10 days holiday available or employees in Canada, I can't see me changing. Although i don't take much more than that here sometimes.
We have been all around the world, and fell in love with the island first visit.
Every time I go I don't want to come back to UK.

If things work out, I'd like to take a nice long vacation on Vancouver Island sooner rather than later.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:59 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by gooding
Sorry for delay in replying Glaswegian, A party on Saturday left me with my head in a bucket all day Sunday!!!!!!!!
Answer is " a jack ( or jill" of all trades) By profession I am a Technical and Graphic Illustrator/Designer, also I am a wildlife artist, hence my love of the island and desire to live there. There is a huge network of artists on the island, and no shortage of places to inspire me. I have always been freelance.
I also own a retail/wholesale/import/ e-commerce business, which i will keep involved with in Canada, as it is international, I can do most from my computer.
My husband is main applicant, applying as an "ologist!"......can't remember which one he applied under, but he is quite versatile.
Sounds like you're in the ideal position to fit into the local "industry"

Unfortunately my skills are hands on and technical ... I lowered myslef from managing 8,000 PC rollouts to a couple of hundred ... I tried going down to fixing individual machines through my own business, but I got bored

I'd like to live somewhere like Vancouver Island or Kelowna, etc ... lovely scenery, low property costs, etc ... while I have kids to raise and two educations to fund, it isn't going to happen ... it might be something for ten years' time

Old Jun 13th 2006, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Canada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant futureCanada Bob has a brilliant future

Here's a reason...

Stand on the kerb in Canada and watch all the traffic stop to let you cross the road...

Stand in the road in Old Blighty as listen to the car engines rev up to see how close they can get to you.

It's just indicative of the attitudes, too many rats in the UK box, 635 people per sq mile in the Untidy Kingdom, 6 people per sq mile in Canada.

If I knew a better Country or a better society/people then I'd be living there, should add I was born in England, lived there 35 years and the last 23 in Canada.

One of the problems in the UK is the social stratification, I've never seen that practiced in Canada, but I have seen Mario Fabris who owns a fair sized company take the floor sweeper for a round of golf, stuff like that makes Canada the place to be.

Canada Bob {exiled back in Wigin for the time being}.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.