British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-263219/)

Glaswegian Oct 31st 2004 4:49 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by Velouria
Ha - you can use our flat while I introduce hubby to his first real Halloween at my aunt's place. Apparently the kids dont ring apartments :D

We lived in an apartment during our first Halloween and din't get a single kid at the door.

The other message is to turn your outside lights off ... it's code for "don't ring my doorbell".

willmore Oct 31st 2004 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
The game isn't for 3 hours ... still trying to decide what to do tonight.

Seen Shark Tale yet?? Can't decide if we should go to see that or hold on for the Incredibles next weekend.

Sorry....thought these games were played early in the morning.

I haven't personally seen Shark Tale yet....but my husband, little guy and others went and absolutely loved it....it's a real family movie.

Haven't heard of the Incredibles yet? Is it a si-fi type movie? The boys might like it better perhaps?

Velouria Oct 31st 2004 4:52 pm

We lived in an apartment during our first Halloween and din't get a single kid at the door.

The other message is to turn your outside lights off ... it's code for "don't ring my doorbell".

Yes thats what my aunt said last night. She has a certain number of candies to give out - after that - the lights go out!

willmore Oct 31st 2004 4:56 pm

40 bucks to go and see a movie that's just alright isn't really justified ... we'll wait until it's out on video.

Still go to find somewhere to go to avoid Halloween ....

Sounds like a wise move....it really depends from what I understand on the age group of the kids.....these were really young kids and that's probably why they enjoyed it......

But 40 bucks.......wow

Glaswegian Oct 31st 2004 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
Sorry....thought these games were played early in the morning.

Games can be any time from 6:30am to 7:00pm ... you'd think it was a bit rough on the little guys, but they seem to love it.

I haven't personally seen Shark Tale yet....but my husband, little guy and others went and absolutely loved it....it's a real family movie.

It didn't get a great write up ... we don't go very often.

Haven't heard of the Incredibles yet? Is it a si-fi type movie? The boys might like it better perhaps?

It's the latest from Pixar ... if you've managed to miss it, you've been spending too much time hanging around tidal pools :p

willmore Oct 31st 2004 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Velouria
Yes thats what my aunt said last night. She has a certain number of candies to give out - after that - the lights go out!

In our neighbourhood in Victoria, one of us stays home till about 7pm, while the other takes the kids to the neighbourhood party.....after 7pm, we close down shop because most of the young kids are finished by that time....and I refuse to feed teenagers....... :D

Gaz_F Oct 31st 2004 4:59 pm

Alberta is nice, big and empty ... it still retains a lot of the feel of being on the edge of Canadian wilderness.

Bliss. I've just dropped the grandson at home; 10 mile round trip, (Including 15 mins of the wife & daughter chatting) 1 hour 35 minutes. On a Sunday!! It was almost as bad as Saturday morning. Then again, it's quicker for me to cycle the 18 mile round trip to work than drive.

Trying to choose a destination from the UK isn't easy ... just don't spend too much straightaway when you get here ... keep your cash safe and decide where you're going to settle once you get your feet wet in Canada.

That's very sound advice, hence the wife and I planning trips to different cities at different times of the year. Next on the hit-list; Halifax and Calgary.

Hopefully summer '05.

Glaswegian Oct 31st 2004 5:02 pm

I refuse to feed teenagers....... :D

I overheard a checkout operator in a local store compiling a list of the best houses to target for trick or treating the other day ... eh? ... sorry, if you've got a job, I'm not giving you free candy.

willmore Oct 31st 2004 5:07 pm

Games can be any time from 6:30am to 7:00pm ... you'd think it was a bit rough on the little guys, but they seem to love it.

It didn't get a great write up ... we don't go very often.

It's the latest from Pixar ... if you've managed to miss it, you've been spending too much time hanging around tidal pools :p

We're not much movie-goers.....too expensive with 2 small kids and then you have to screen it first before you can take them....we usually wait for the video.......

Shark tale got rave reviews here in Victoria...interesting.....

I know, I've becoming one with my tidal pools - the greatest part is that they never talk back....... :D

willmore Oct 31st 2004 5:08 pm

[QUOTE=Glaswegian]I overheard a checkout operator in a local store compiling a list of the best houses to target for trick or treating the other day ... eh? ... sorry, if you've got a job, I'm not giving you free candy.[/

Well, I think that even McGrouch would agree that Halloween is about young kids up to about 10 years...after that they can buy their only bloody candy......I'm very particular about who I hand out my mars bars to.

QUOTE]

IckleHelen Oct 31st 2004 5:11 pm

We're not much movie-goers.....too expensive

What's it cost per person?

and then you have to screen it first before you can take them

It's a Kids movie - why do you have to screen it?

Glaswegian Oct 31st 2004 5:12 pm

We're not much movie-goers.....too expensive with 2 small kids and then you have to screen it first before you can take them....we usually wait for the video.......

The movies are too expensive ... especially if you're too chicken to smuggle candy in.

Shark tale got rave reviews here in Victoria...interesting.....

I usually use rotten tomatoes, the overall score tends to be pretty accurate.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com

I know, I've becoming one with my tidal pools - the greatest part is that they never talk back....... :D

Start worrying when you hear the little fishy voices inside your head :p

willmore Oct 31st 2004 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen

Because we are very particular about what our kids 2/4 do and don't see....and kid's movies although they may be rated as "kids"....do not always fit my description of a kids movie......the way they rate movies and tv shows in Canada is absolutely absurd.....but I was speaking about screening any movie my kids see

willmore Oct 31st 2004 5:19 pm

[QUOTEI Thanks for this....I've bookmarked it....for future use

it's not the fishy voices I'm worried about ....it's when the anemones start talking to me......

Let us know how the game goes today.....

[/QUOTE]

Glaswegian Oct 31st 2004 5:25 pm

For four of us, it works out to about $40 - I think it's $10.95 for adults, a little less for the kids ... the candy and snacks are ludicrously expensive.

Like Willmore says, you can't always be sure what's in them ... my kids are 6 & 7, so they get to see the occasional PG movie ... I have their satellite reciever locked down so they can't watch anything above a general release when we're not monitoring ... it's one of the reasons for going for satellite or digital cable ... you can filter out individual shows based on their ratings.

I was stunned when we sat down to watch the SuperBowl this year ... we didn't get as far as Janet Jackson's infamous flash ... the r-rated trailer for Van Helsing in one of the first ad breaks was too much for us.

jonthelad Nov 1st 2004 2:13 am

Because we are very particular about what our kids 2/4 do and don't see....and kid's movies although they may be rated as "kids"....do not always fit my description of a kids movie......the way they rate movies and tv shows in Canada is absolutely absurd.....but I was speaking about screening any movie my kids see

I've got 5 year-old twins - I know what you mean. I use www.moviemom.com for a general idea of how suitable a 'family' movie is going to be :cool:

Glaswegian Nov 1st 2004 2:29 am

Originally Posted by jonthelad
I've got 5 year-old twins - I know what you mean. I use www.moviemom.com for a general idea of how suitable a 'family' movie is going to be :cool:

Just read that the Incredibles is getting a PG rating ... aparently someone gets blown up, I don't know how graphic it is ... but let's face it, you didn't see Bambi's Mom get shot on screen, but that was traumatic enough for my generation.

Explaining what happened to Nemo's Mom and the rest of the eggs was bad enough ... explaining why one of the main characters in a cartoon doesn't survive an explosion will be a challenge.

Thanks, I'll check out that website.

gooding Nov 1st 2004 2:33 pm

Sorry for delay in replying Glaswegian, A party on Saturday left me with my head in a bucket all day Sunday!!!!!!!!
Answer is " a jack ( or jill" of all trades) By profession I am a Technical and Graphic Illustrator/Designer, also I am a wildlife artist, hence my love of the island and desire to live there. There is a huge network of artists on the island, and no shortage of places to inspire me. I have always been freelance.
I also own a retail/wholesale/import/ e-commerce business, which i will keep involved with in Canada, as it is international, I can do most from my computer.
My husband is main applicant, applying as an "ologist!"......can't remember which one he applied under, but he is quite versatile.

We are going to be living in Courtney, and are back over in 5 weeks to get house furnished, and do a bit of networking.
We were going to apply under business visa, but did not like the restrictions.
So applied under skilled, so we can leave our options open.
I have always mainly worked for myself and with only 10 days holiday available or employees in Canada, I can't see me changing. Although i don't take much more than that here sometimes.
We have been all around the world, and fell in love with the island first visit.
Every time I go I don't want to come back to UK.

If things work out, I'd like to take a nice long vacation on Vancouver Island sooner rather than later.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

Glaswegian Nov 2nd 2004 11:59 am

Originally Posted by gooding
Sorry for delay in replying Glaswegian, A party on Saturday left me with my head in a bucket all day Sunday!!!!!!!!
Answer is " a jack ( or jill" of all trades) By profession I am a Technical and Graphic Illustrator/Designer, also I am a wildlife artist, hence my love of the island and desire to live there. There is a huge network of artists on the island, and no shortage of places to inspire me. I have always been freelance.
I also own a retail/wholesale/import/ e-commerce business, which i will keep involved with in Canada, as it is international, I can do most from my computer.
My husband is main applicant, applying as an "ologist!"......can't remember which one he applied under, but he is quite versatile.

Sounds like you're in the ideal position to fit into the local "industry" :)

Unfortunately my skills are hands on and technical ... I lowered myslef from managing 8,000 PC rollouts to a couple of hundred ... I tried going down to fixing individual machines through my own business, but I got bored :(

I'd like to live somewhere like Vancouver Island or Kelowna, etc ... lovely scenery, low property costs, etc ... while I have kids to raise and two educations to fund, it isn't going to happen ... it might be something for ten years' time :D

Canada Bob Jun 13th 2006 4:02 pm

Here's a reason...

Stand on the kerb in Canada and watch all the traffic stop to let you cross the road...

Stand in the road in Old Blighty as listen to the car engines rev up to see how close they can get to you.

It's just indicative of the attitudes, too many rats in the UK box, 635 people per sq mile in the Untidy Kingdom, 6 people per sq mile in Canada.

If I knew a better Country or a better society/people then I'd be living there, should add I was born in England, lived there 35 years and the last 23 in Canada.

One of the problems in the UK is the social stratification, I've never seen that practiced in Canada, but I have seen Mario Fabris who owns a fair sized company take the floor sweeper for a round of golf, stuff like that makes Canada the place to be.

Canada Bob {exiled back in Wigin for the time being}.

Tableland Jun 14th 2006 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Canada Bob
It's just indicative of the attitudes, too many rats in the UK box, 635 people per sq mile in the Untidy Kingdom, 6 people per sq mile in Canada.

Yes but this statistic is derived by including ALL of Canada, including the vast uninhabitable tundra in the north. The population of Vancouver for example is far denser than that of the average English county. Vancouver has 4238 people per square km for example. You wouldn't want to live in Nunavut for very long, with its low population density, would you?

Australia has the lowest population density in the world, but you can't live in most of it, so the fair way to stack these statistics against one another is to work out population density for the habitable areas only, only then can we see a realistic comparison.

Moreover, according to the Optimum Population Trust, London has 4562 people per square kilometre, while Vancouver has (according to Statistics Canada) 4238 per square kilometre. So pretty much the same, and many statistics agencies place Vancouver's population density much higher than London's. You could live in the south of Vancouver Island, where there are 139 people per square km, or North Devon where there are 83 people per square km.

In other words, the national statistics are very misleading, as you would live in a city or a town, and work there, and sleep there, and that town would have the same population density as a similarly-sized town in the UK. So really, there are way more rats in the southern Vancouver Island box than there are in the average English county box.

celine_uk Jun 14th 2006 2:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Well when I first started using this forum about a week ago I was full of enthusiasm. We haven't applied yet - I'm just at the information gathering stage. However, the more I read, the more I ask myself ...

'Why do I want to move to Canada?'...

* There are tornados and earthquakes (?)
* It is winter for 8 months a year
* Car insurance is outrageous
* There are few IT jobs (both my partner and I work in IT)
* Not having any Canadian work experience will make it very difficult to find work.
* We will earn half what we do in the U.K. (if we manage to get a job)

Could anyone help to restore some balance or shed any light on any of the above.

Thanks all. :confused:

No where is perfect, the thing with people leaving the UK is, most of them are looking to escape England and they don’t realise every country on this earth has its own set of problems….. Both countries have a lot to offer…. I like my life in canada but there are many things I'd like to change about this country, I many ways Canada is very behind the rest of the western world and others way ahead…… I was recently back in the UK, my first visit since moving to Canada 3 years ago and I can honestly say England isnt as bad as you people make out……….. Canada is a great country but in all honestly I find the culture very bland sometimes and a lot of things for example food expensive compared to the UK….. But you cant have everything can you!!

Canada Bob Jun 14th 2006 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by tableland
Yes but this statistic is derived by including ALL of Canada, including the vast uninhabitable tundra in the north. The population of Vancouver for example is far denser than that of the average English county. Vancouver has 4238 people per square km for example. You wouldn't want to live in Nunavut for very long, with its low population density, would you?

Australia has the lowest population density in the world, but you can't live in most of it, so the fair way to stack these statistics against one another is to work out population density for the habitable areas only, only then can we see a realistic comparison.

Moreover, according to the Optimum Population Trust, London has 4562 people per square kilometre, while Vancouver has (according to Statistics Canada) 4238 per square kilometre. So pretty much the same, and many statistics agencies place Vancouver's population density much higher than London's. You could live in the south of Vancouver Island, where there are 139 people per square km, or North Devon where there are 83 people per square km.

In other words, the national statistics are very misleading, as you would live in a city or a town, and work there, and sleep there, and that town would have the same population density as a similarly-sized town in the UK. So really, there are way more rats in the southern Vancouver Island box than there are in the average English county box.

Yep, I know the stats don't tell it all, but like the tundra there's not many folks living in remote parts of the UK either. Yet I think the people per sq mile syndrome is indicated in the prevailing attitudes. There's still too many rats in this UK box, most of us live on parcels of land that folks in Canada would use as a dog run...

I'm not saying that my circumstances are typical, but our when we lived in Nova Scotia, we had a 4,900 sq ft bungalow on 1.5 acres of land, at the entrance to Halifax Harbour, a great place to live. Now that we're back {as the BBC says, "for reasons beyond our control"} we live on a street with 18 houses on 1.3 acres of land, 35 miles from the ocean.

Here's the thing, both houses cost the same, and I don't live in London, we're just outside of Wigan, go figure... There's a massive premium on land here, even if in some areas we don't live in each others laps, it still affects our psyche... as an example... try turning you car around on someone's drive here in the UK... some folks will throw a wobbler, just because your back tires touched THEIR driveway {they're mental}... but I believe that's the rats struggling for their own patch.

There's a lot of folks in Canada that own properties with well over an acre, some with 20 or 30 or more acres, and they aren't Millionaires, but you'd have to be to own that much land in the Untidy Kingdom...

I mix in the same circles at the same social levels in the UK as in Canada, but almost all of the folks I know in Canada are living a better quality of life than those I know in the UK.

I know lots of folks over here who are unemployed, some of them like me getting on a bit, not all of them though, so I do see the impact of unemployment, whereas in Canada none of my friends, family or associates are on the cobbles...

The best move I ever made in my life was to emigrate 24 years ago, believe me I don't OWE any false allegiance to ANY Country, they all like to slide their hands into the workers pockets. What used to be Taxation is not more like Confiscation world wide, but the opportunities that Canada {and it's people} offered to me weren't on the menu over here. I wouldn't polish Canada up and say it was the best Country in the World if it hadn't been for me, and for just about every ex-pat I've ever come across.

Canada takes in 250,000 folks a year, about the same as the UK takes in, but those who go to Canada are motivated to work for a better life, many of those who head here are motivated by the DHSS.

If I'd not have gone to Canada in 1982 I'd be living in a semi, or a {smaller} detached with 4 bedrooms, none of them fit to swing a cat round in... that's how my mates live here now, life wouldn't have treated me better if I'd stayed here.

Canada Bob.

Canada Bob Jun 14th 2006 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by tableland
So really, there are way more rats in the southern Vancouver Island box than there are in the average English county box.

Aye, but look at the view the Vancouver Island rats have :)

Canada Bob.

dbd33 Jun 14th 2006 2:54 pm

I'm not saying that my circumstances are typical, but our when we lived in Nova Scotia, we had a 4,900 sq ft bungalow on 1.5 acres of land, at the entrance to Halifax Harbour, a great place to live. Now that we're back {as the BBC says, "for reasons beyond our control"} we live on a street with 18 houses on 1.3 acres of land, 35 miles from the ocean.

Most houses on our street are 12' wide, they're terraced and have no parking. They fetch about $350,000 and, since people generally cannot afford the whole house the basement is typically rented as an apartment. The housing density is greater than that on council estates in North London. I don't think it's reasonable to see Canada as uncrowded; most of the country is uninhabited while the strip along the US border is crammed with people.

Canada Bob Jun 14th 2006 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Most houses on our street are 12' wide, they're terraced and have no parking. They fetch about $350,000 and, since people generally cannot afford the whole house the basement is typically rented as an apartment. The housing density is greater than that on council estates in North London. I don't think it's reasonable to see Canada as uncrowded; most of the country is uninhabited while the strip along the US border is crammed with people.

The 12ft wide works here in the UK too, mind you you'd struggle to buy much in Wigan let alone London for $350,000 / aka 165,000 quid, the ex Council houses in Wigan are listed for that, a tad less if the bloke next door is dealing drugs... {it helps to have a sense of humour ore here}...

As far as uncrowded, well, let's take these facts... 95% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the U.S. Border {according to Stats Can}, so for the sake of round numbers lets say that Canada is 4000 miles East to West and 100 miles North to South ? {it's more than that, but let's call it that}.

So "this Populated Canada" has 400,000 sq miles for {say} 30 million people to go at,.

Here in GB {so we're not counting Norther Ireland} we have 84,000 sq miles to go at, for 57 Million of us to share out... remember though that I'm counting ALL of GB, including the remote areas...

So, in the strip that I'm calling Canada there's around 70 folks per sq mile, I think, if me math is correct ?

In GB we have near 700 folks per sq mile ?

Not exactly "scientific" as they say, but it gives you some idea of the push and shove factor.

I know we all have our own thoughts on it, and that few things are less reliable than "what folks think" measuring things is a better way to go, the more things you measure the more accurate your results are likely to be...

Take a look at these stats... Canada comes 14th and the UK in at 29th, yea, I know, we didn't have out best team out ;)

http://www.economist.com/theWorldIn/...3372495&d=2005

Or to see how happy them rats in Vancouver are, read this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4306936.stm

Or this more comprehensive review...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

As we say ore here "at the end of the day" what it boils down to is one mans meat is another mans poison, hence the stats don't fit all sizes, but they do give a good indication of what's really what.

Few of the lads round here would enjoy life in Canada, there's no betting shops and "the ale aint the same", so what works for me don't work for them, what can I say.

Canada Bob.

Novocastrian Jun 14th 2006 4:11 pm

one mans meat is another mans poison

Or, "one man's meat is another man's poisson", as they say in Quebec. :)

dbd33 Jun 14th 2006 4:17 pm

As far as uncrowded, well, let's take these facts... 95% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the U.S. Border {according to Stats Can}, so for the sake of round numbers lets say that Canada is 4000 miles East to West and 100 miles North to South ? {it's more than that, but let's call it that}.

So "this Populated Canada" has 400,000 sq miles for {say} 30 million people to go at,.

Here in GB {so we're not counting Norther Ireland} we have 84,000 sq miles to go at, for 57 Million of us to share out... remember though that I'm counting ALL of GB, including the remote areas...

So, in the strip that I'm calling Canada there's around 70 folks per sq mile, I think, if me math is correct ?

In GB we have near 700 folks per sq mile ?

This analysis is fundamentally flawed as people are clustered in small areas along the border, not distributed evenly across it. The population density in the GTA looks to me to be about the same as the southeast of England. I expect Montreal and Vancouver are similarly urban whereas no one lives in the middle bit. The effective width of Canada is more like 400 miles than 4,000.

We do have betting shops, btw, off track betting is big business here.

iaink Jun 14th 2006 4:27 pm

This analysis is fundamentally flawed as people are clustered in small areas along the border, not distributed evenly across it. The population density in the GTA looks to me to be about the same as the southeast of England. I expect Montreal and Vancouver are similarly urban whereas no one lives in the middle bit. The effective width of Canada is more like 400 miles than 4,000.

So either:
A: the population density is the same, but you dont have to go far to get to a less populous area

or

B: The population density in Canada is less.

and he does have a point about not being able to buy bugger all in the UK for what you could cash your chips in here for.

On the other hand there is a much shorter shovelling season in the UK

When all is said and done and the excitement of moving acress the Atlantic is done, life here is just the same shit in a shinier bucket anyway.

Canada Bob Jun 14th 2006 4:33 pm

We do have betting shops, btw, off track betting is big business here.

I mentioned that it isn't scientific, it's simply indicative.

You're right that people are clustered and not distributed evenly in Canada, oddly enough... it's the same thing here in the UK.

I guess if we accpet your logic that Canada is effectively 400 miles wide, then the population density for both countries would be the same.

Not sure how that balance would tile it I applied the same reasoning to account for Cornwall, much of Scotland, Wales or even Yorkshire ?

I'm not trying to rub you up the wrong way, if we see things differently then that's fine, we are both entitled to that, and I don't want to upset you DBd33, I appreciate the debate and counterpoint, it gives us something to contemplate.

Re betting shops, I've never seen one in 24 years, but maybe we moved out of Ontario before they came in, there's none in Nova Scotia that's for sure, none in PEI or Newfoundland or even New Brunswick that I've even heard tell of. But here in the UK betting shops are a way of life, and there's Thousands of them.

I like a bet, and when in Rome I do as the Romans do, but it gets at me to see the same lads {skint as usual} in the same betting shops they were in 30 years ago, you'd never get these lads to move from Wigin to Bolton, let alone ever think of emigrating... life is tough here for the folks in the lower ranks.

All the Best,

Wigin Bob.

Canada Bob Jun 14th 2006 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
one mans meat is another mans poison

Or, "one man's meat is another man's poisson", as they say in Quebec. :)

LOL ! consider it stolen ;)

Canada Bob.

dbd33 Jun 14th 2006 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
So either:
A: the population density is the same, but you dont have to go far to get to a less populous area

or

B: The population density in Canada is less.

and he does have a point about not being able to buy bugger all in the UK for what you could cash your chips in here for.

On the other hand there is a much shorter shovelling season in the UK

When all is said and done and the excitement of moving acress the Atlantic is done, life here is just the same shit in a shinier bucket anyway.

B is true for the country as a whole but it means very little if you're in a populated bit. A is true with the caveat that everyone else is trying to do the same thing at the same time so a short distance doesn't mean an easy trip. Same shit...... is absolutely true.

dbd33 Jun 14th 2006 4:39 pm

Re betting shops, I've never seen one in 24 years, but maybe we moved out of Ontario before they came in, there's none in Nova Scotia that's for sure, none in PEI or Newfoundland or even New Brunswick that I've even heard tell of. But here in the UK betting shops are a way of life, and there's Thousands of them.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/rac...etheatres.html

Canada Bob Jun 14th 2006 5:06 pm

I see what you mean, but these aren't betting shops as we know them in the Untidy Kingdom, they're more like the places in Vegas where you are in a hotel or a bar and can put a bet on, not quite the same way of life that exists ore here.

To put it in perspective a local bloke that I know {Fred Done} has over 500 betting shops, and intends {with Arab backing} to double the number of shops. William Hills have around 2,300 betting shops, and so on, there's around 8,500 betting shops in the UK, again not a scientific analysis of the society, but indicative of it.

As to the extent of this addiction they say that some £8 Billion has been bet on the World Cup already !

It seems the annual turnover in the UK is close to half a Billion quid !

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/e...e/takeabet.htm

Of thing I've noticed {in the years I've frequented the Bookies} is that I've yet to find a Bookie living in a Council {or similar} house, but most of the punters live at that level...

Again though, it aint the density of the population, or the number of bettings shops that make or break a country, nor is it our opinions, if we really want to know we should consider the surveys done by folks like the U.N. they don't start out with a bias in mind and try to take in as many aspects as reasonably possible.

All the Best,

Wigin {for the time being} Bob.

dbd33 Jun 14th 2006 5:17 pm

I see what you mean, but these aren't betting shops as we know them in the Untidy Kingdom, they're more like the places in Vegas where you are in a hotel or a bar and can put a bet on, not quite the same way of life that exists ore here.

I'm from London. An uncle was a settler for the local turf accountant. I've been in a bookie's. There's no big difference between spending your dole money at William Hill's in Burnt Oak and spending it at the East Chinatown OTB in Toronto; either is a smoke filled room with minimal facilities. The practical difference being that, at William Hill's, you can bet on the World Cup or Miss World or whatever over the counter whereas here the only locally legislated bets are on horses; everything else is bet over the internet.

It may be that less people here choose to bet but, for those who do, the life is the same there as here.

weener Jun 14th 2006 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Helen,

Cant help thinking you are a bit misinformed on some of this:)
Tornadoes and Eartquakes, although they do happen, are very rare, in Ontario anyway.

8 months of winter! Pllleasse! someone is pulling your leg

Car ownership is cheaper, there is a lot less car crime, insurance is only expensive cos of legal / medical liability costs. Car buying, service and fuel, and licensing charges are all a lot less.

IT is the same the world over isnt it after the dot com bust.

Canadian experience factors do affect some people, but on the othre hand Ive never had a problem.

Pay is less because cost of living is less, especially property.

Kids are generally polite and well catered for, there is a lot of organised stuff for them.

My advise is dont emigrate for financial or career advancement reasons, but because you identify with the values and lifestyle of Canada. Holiday allowance is hard to get used to, but general lack of day to day shittyness, and being able to afford 3/4 of an acre with a nice house overlooking a river here on an engineers salary more than makes up for it for me.

Hi

Just reading through a old thread of yours and noticed your a engineer, can I ask in what line of trade?

Wayne

iaink Jun 14th 2006 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by weener
Hi

Just reading through a old thread of yours and noticed your a engineer, can I ask in what line of trade?

Wayne

My, that is an old post! PM sent.

Canada Bob Jun 14th 2006 5:48 pm

I'm from London. An uncle was a settler for the local turf accountant. I've been in a bookie's. There's no big difference between spending your dole money at William Hill's in Burnt Oak and spending it at the East Chinatown OTB in Toronto; either is a smoke filled room with minimal facilities. The practical difference being that, at William Hill's, you can bet on the World Cup or Miss World or whatever over the counter whereas here the only locally legislated bets are on horses; everything else is bet over the internet.

It may be that less people here choose to bet but, for those who do, the life is the same there as here.

Although I went straight from school {at 15} into a 6 year apprenticeship with De Havilland over here, when I was 21 {and a free man, sort of thing} the first job I took was as a settler for Gus Demmy {another Bookie I knew socially}. Gus gave me a job, and I learned a LOT from that, the main thing being, the less often you bet, the more often you win, seems absurd but the thing is if you bet {almost} every race, {almost} every day, as millions do over here, yer knackered, you've no chance... They split their money into such small amounts that even a 10/1 winner pays them nowt... so they can't do any harm to a book.

If you bet with more discipline then you bet less often, but in bigger stakes, and 50 quid at 10/1 or even 7/4 can mess up a book, they don't want large single bets, the bookies count on the mugs being disorganised, the losers money paying out the few winners there may be.

Even though I like a bet, I hate to see the lads losing year after year, but that's their way of life, and they are addicted to it, a Bookies shop is the only place of hope for those who don't have any hope.

I don't think that betting is in the pschye of Canadians, maybe in some of them Chinese and some ex-pats, but when a country affords you a decent life what's the point of gambling ?

I've never placed a bet yet in Canada, but when I'm over here I'll have 2-3 bets a week, when in Rome sort of thing...

I'm not saying that I've not seen tough times in Canada, once had 6 oz of C4 attached to my car to blow me away, but that was an exceptional situation, certainly not typical of what most folks might experience in Canada.

Canada Bob.

iaink Jun 14th 2006 5:57 pm

once had 6 oz of C4 attached to my car to blow me away.

Haven't we all :rolleyes:

mugginflapps Jun 20th 2006 2:01 am

depends on where you live, as to whether it is winter for 8 months of the year.

car insurance is expensive, but there is no road tax and if you can prove no claims for 8 years, the difference is minimal.

depends on what job you do as to whether the pay is bad, we know some well paid people in the big cities. Don't know what you do in IT but I don't see a problem. Yes there is the canadian work experience thing, but then again it depends on what you do, if they want your services they will pay.

I live in Kelowna, there are no tornadoes or earthequakes, just sunshine and vineyards!!!

We had all the same doubts especially leading up to coming here. It's swings and roundabouts, property is cheaper, utilities are cheaper, again depending on where you live. Calgary is booming and can't find enough people whatever you work as!

Kelowna is beautiful and well worth the changes.

Hi Guys,

Well when I first started using this forum about a week ago I was full of enthusiasm. We haven't applied yet - I'm just at the information gathering stage. However, the more I read, the more I ask myself ...

'Why do I want to move to Canada?'...

* There are tornados and earthquakes (?)
* It is winter for 8 months a year
* Car insurance is outrageous
* There are few IT jobs (both my partner and I work in IT)
* Not having any Canadian work experience will make it very difficult to find work.
* We will earn half what we do in the U.K. (if we manage to get a job)

Could anyone help to restore some balance or shed any light on any of the above.

Thanks all. :confused: