Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why is Indian food so bad in Toronto?

Why is Indian food so bad in Toronto?

Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Indian food so bad in Toronto?

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I've never tried the host- probably just because I found the Bombay Bhel first (same area).
It's excellent (if a bit pricey) but don't go there looking for UK style curry.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 1st 2015 at 7:29 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

stoobee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also worked my way through the Toronto restaurant scene on Tripadvisor and came to the conclusion the nicer the interior décor, the more dire the food.

Was not my experience in BC though, both Salam Bombay in Vancouver and Tandoori Grill in Whistler were streets ahead of any Toronto offering.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoobee1
I also worked my way through the Toronto restaurant scene on Tripadvisor and came to the conclusion the nicer the interior décor, the more dire the food.

Was not my experience in BC though, both Salam Bombay in Vancouver and Tandoori Grill in Whistler were streets ahead of any Toronto offering.
I think there are good Indian restaurants in Canada including in Toronto. As I said before, I think the difference between Canada and the UK is that the good ones are in a small minority in Canada. When I lived in the UK, bad Indian restaurants were few and far between and didn't last very long.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:36 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny how ex pats moan about the lack of curry but u never hear anyone saying "oh my why no Toby Cavery in Canada" and "we're can I find a good Sunday dinner restaraunt" Curry must be the English traditional dish (I admit to being a curry adict BTW)
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remember that British curry is just that- a variety of cuisines mashed together and perfected due to enormous public demand. The classic menus- jalfrezi has peppers, dhansaks have friend onions etc etc, are all inventions of the anglo-indian chefs which have become pretty well harmonised over the years.

Canada ain't like that. Having said that Bombay Bhel in Markham is very good and Lahore (which is obviously not indian) on Gerrard East is great but you have to learn a completely new menu.

I haven't tried Brampton but again genuine indian style cooking can be a challenge for the british palate.
This. Very much this. Added to which, a significant proportion of Indian restaurants in the UK are staffed by Bengalis, so aside from the Anglo-Indian influence there is a tendency to incorporate culinary traditions from the north-east of the Subcontinent.

I used to work for an Indian company; our office moved from downtown Toronto (where there was general despair at the lack of good options for a quick lunch, although there was one buffet place on King West that we went to occasionally) to Mississauga, where even the most unpromising-looking establishments would tick the right boxes with colleagues. But then, there weren't a large number of Bengalis in the office. Probably more from south India (Tamil Nadyu, Kerala, Karnataka) and central (Maharashtra, AP, MP) whose tastes and cuisines are significantly different from the Anglo-influenced Bengali fare in the UK.

A proper Goan vindaloo, as an example, is a very different proposition to the one you'd get from the Star of India on your average UK high street... and yes, my colleagues used to wax lyrical over a good curd rice (the rice & yogurt thing) while I just couldn't bring myself to like it at all.

But even with all those reasons/excuses, there are certainly a large number of crappy, sloppy, bland Indian offerings around. Another vote for Bombay Bhel (I don't know the Markham venue, but the one on the border of Mississauga and Oakville is good), and Bombay's Chutney in Burlington is pretty good too.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:13 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoobee1
My UK rule of thumb was the worse the name, the better the curry. I had a fabulous curry at The Standard (Indian) Restaurant in Oxford; has to be one of the worst names ever. The Eastern Curry House and Curry in a Hurry in Stratford and Romford respectively were both great.

As soon as you start getting fancy names in there....

Oh and yes, I think Chicken Tikka Masala officially became Britain's national dish in the 90s (overtaking fish and chips).
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and yes, I think Chicken Tikka Masala officially became Britain's national dish in the 90s (overtaking fish and chips).
Er, my wife in the 1980s was an immigrant to the UK, she thought the national dish was kebabs.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Er, my wife in the 1980s was an immigrant to the UK, she thought the national dish was kebabs.
Lol yeh maybe one of the few things impossible to emulate in Canada, Jimmy the Greek is not ever ever going to taste like them midnight drunken yummy messes we used to woof down in the taxi line up on the prom in the pool
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver has had a significant Sikh Punjabi population in the city since it was founded in the 1860s, which could explain why Indian food is not such the feared exotic "weird" food here that it typically is elsewhere across Canada, or may explain why you'll find a decent curry here more frequently compared to Toronto, whose multiculturalism is much more of a recent phenomenon, relatively speaking.

Curries here, and Indian cuisine in general in Vancouver, are typically Punjabi influenced, made for the Canadian lowest common denominator ("nothing spicy please") palate. It's why Indian food exists but isn't spicy unless requested, and is not at all influenced by the UK English curry scene or Bengali immigrants, but by Punjabi Canadians who have been living here for generations who largely have to cater to a population who generally fears spicy food.

Also worth noting - the default ethnic cuisine out here is typically sushi - that's what the locals want when they want a cheap quick meal in Vancouver. Sushi completed dominates and people eat it here casually and in such quantity, it has become a normalized part of the local diet. Not Indian food.

Canada does not share the UK's demand for curry. It is not a part of mainstream Canadian food culture. Westernized Chinese food is typically the default ethnic cuisine across all of Canada otherwise, including the smallest of towns. That is Canada's mainstream ethnic food, as Chinese immigrants played a large role in building the country.

"Chinese and Canadian food" is a throwback to the early 20th century, when eating Chinese food was considered strange and exotic and possibly alienating to westernized palates, and means your lowest common denominator "nothing weird please" friend can eat a burger while you nosh on chicken chow mein. I still see those signs in small towns in the middle of nowhere BC, and most recently in Manitoba - usually a sign that the local population is fairly homogenous unadventurous when it comes to eating.

Last edited by Lychee; Jun 4th 2015 at 2:12 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 2:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Vancouver has had a significant Sikh Punjabi population in the city since it was founded in the 1860s, which could explain why Indian food is not such the feared exotic "weird" food here that it typically is elsewhere across Canada, or may explain why you'll find a decent curry here more frequently compared to Toronto, whose multiculturalism is much more of a recent phenomenon, relatively speaking.

Curries here, and Indian cuisine in general in Vancouver, are typically Punjabi influenced, made for the Canadian lowest common denominator ("nothing spicy please") palate. It's why Indian food exists but isn't spicy unless requested, and is not at all influenced by the UK English curry scene or Bengali immigrants, but by Punjabi Canadians who have been living here for generations who largely have to cater to a population who generally fears spicy food.

Also worth noting - the default ethnic cuisine out here is typically sushi - that's what the locals want when they want a cheap quick meal in Vancouver. Sushi completed dominates and people eat it here casually and in such quantity, it has become a normalized part of the local diet. Not Indian food.

Canada does not share the UK's demand for curry. It is not a part of mainstream Canadian food culture. Westernized Chinese food is typically the default ethnic cuisine across all of Canada otherwise, including the smallest of towns. That is Canada's mainstream ethnic food, as Chinese immigrants played a large role in building the country.

"Chinese and Canadian food" is a throwback to the early 20th century, when eating Chinese food was considered strange and exotic and possibly alienating to westernized palates, and means your lowest common denominator "nothing weird please" friend can eat a burger while you nosh on chicken chow mein. I still see those signs in small towns in the middle of nowhere BC, and most recently in Manitoba - usually a sign that the local population is fairly homogenous unadventurous when it comes to eating.
It doesn't make it right though.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 2:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds backwards to me. Surely people who've been in Canada for generations would have assimilated and newly arrived ones would make better food. I think Vij's is what you'd expect by way of an Indian restaurant run by the long assimilated; white customer facing staff serve only domestic beer with vaguely exotic food; it is to curry as the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company is to creole.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 4:32 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
See, you're a wise man DBD. Best to keep the OH away from restaurants for as long as possible.

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Lol yeh maybe one of the few things impossible to emulate in Canada, Jimmy the Greek is not ever ever going to taste like them midnight drunken yummy messes we used to woof down in the taxi line up on the prom in the pool
I can barely eat greek gyros. Much to close too food for my liking. The anglo-turkic doner kebab is an absolute zenith in street food, and the first thing I'll reach for when back in blighty- even ahead of a vindaloo.

You still see those signs in Toronto...
Old Jun 4th 2015, 4:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a good curry in Newton. However, the staff have no sense of humour. They get all uppity if you turn up pissed and call them Gunga Din.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 9:38 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You can get a good curry in Newton. However, the staff have no sense of humour. They get all uppity if you turn up pissed and call them Gunga Din.
Sounds like they needs some cultural sensitivity training
Old Jun 4th 2015, 9:43 pm
Proudly Scarberian

And on that note:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.