British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why is Indian food so bad in Toronto? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-indian-food-so-bad-toronto-859270/)

Jones89 May 31st 2015 7:31 pm

Why is Indian food so bad in Toronto?

All I want is some good curry, like I used to order once every few weeks in London.
I must have tried about 10 different restaurants and every time I get inedible greasy mess with no flavour.

Can anyone recommend a place that serves proper curry?

Oink May 31st 2015 7:43 pm

Re: Why is Indian food so bad in Toronto?

Originally Posted by Jones89 (Post 11661853)
All I want is some good curry, like I used to order once every few weeks in London.
I must have tried about 10 different restaurants and every time I get inedible greasy mess with no flavour.

Canadians have rubbish taste so the demand for quality is not there, so why would a restaurant bother doing decent stuff? The only way is to talk to the owner/manager and discuss the dishes and your expectations, let them know you'll keep sending the stuff back until its acceptable. Over time, once they get to know you, you should get decent enough food. Oh, tip well when its good.

MikeUK May 31st 2015 7:50 pm

Head out to Brampton

Best place we found was ... Dhaba express... McLaughlin road (not the other one)

...........Goat vindaloo and there version of Aloo gobi...

Dhaba Express
10725 McLaughlin Rd
Brampton, ON L7A 3E5
Canada

+1 905-450-4646

www.dhabaexpress.ca

JamesM May 31st 2015 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jones89 (Post 11661853)

This is one of the better places near a Subway stop.

It is widely regarded that you do need to head out towards Brampton for the best ones.

Indian Restaurant in Toronto | Jaipur Grille

dbd33 May 31st 2015 9:13 pm

In Toronto there are still a few along Gerrard, in the Indian Bazaar, though the fabulous BBQ Hut is now, sort of, closed. We go to the Coriander Kitchen in Orangeville which is very good indeed.

SchnookoLoly May 31st 2015 9:16 pm

Mr Schnooks and I very much liked this place is Mississauga: profile

Oink May 31st 2015 9:41 pm

The main problem with Indian places over here is that they shut far too early. Who wants to go and eat in an Indian resturant before 11:00pm? :confused:

Novocastrian May 31st 2015 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11661963)
The main problem with Indian places over here is that they shut far too early. Who wants to go and eat in an Indian resturant before 11:00pm? :confused:

Actually the main "problem" with Indian places over here is that they are catering for Indians, not Brits.

If you want a proper English Vindaloo, go on holiday.

JamesM May 31st 2015 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11661963)

The after hours market in Tdot is well catered for by Chinatown.

Zoe Bell May 31st 2015 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11661978)
Actually the main "problem" with Indian places over here is that they are catering for Indians, not Brits.

If you want a proper English Vindaloo, go on holiday.

Nope. Even my Indian colleagues despair of the Indian restaurants in Toronto

MarylandNed Jun 1st 2015 12:47 am

I also find this baffling. I spent 7 years being spoiled on great Indian food along 'The Curry Mile' in Rusholme, Manchester - seriously, I haven't had better Indian food anywhere. Then I moved to Toronto and the Indian food was so bad that I stopped eating it. I found much better Greek and Mexican restaurants instead. I moved back to the UK (London) for a couple of years. The very first Indian restaurant I tried was one near Canons Park tube station and the food was fantastic. Now I'm in the US and have the same problem of finding good Indian food. I've now found one Indian restaurant that is decent enough but still not of the same quality as those in the UK. Baffled as to why the Indian food I have experienced in North America is so hit and (mostly) miss. A bad Indian restaurant would simply not survive in the UK.

rebski Jun 1st 2015 12:56 am

Little India on Queen West gets our vote, after having tried a few different ones downtown

plasticcanuck Jun 1st 2015 1:48 am

Why don't you ask people of Indian heritage why there are no Indian restaurants in Toronto that meet your quality requirements. If anyone's to blame it's them, not Canada or Canadian/Provincial Governments.
Could it be that Canadians just don't like Indian cuisine that much.

Jones89 Jun 1st 2015 2:03 am

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11662088)
Why don't you ask people of Indian heritage why there are no Indian restaurants in Toronto that meet your quality requirements. If anyone's to blame it's them, not Canada or Canadian/Provincial Governments.
Could it be that Canadians just don't like Indian cuisine that much.

Where did I blame the government, you gotta work on your reading comprehension.

Novocastrian Jun 1st 2015 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 11662035)
Nope. Even my Indian colleagues despair of the Indian restaurants in Toronto

That's understandable. India is <shock> a big place spanning a huge range of climates and therefore of cuisines.

Where are your Indian colleagues from exactly?