Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:00 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

I think we got your joke the first time.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

When I went to Canada last year and was going through the airport security (I can't actually remember if this was the UK side or Canadain side), the metal detector went off. The man took me to the side of the queue (with my two kids in tow) and in front of all the people he first made me lift my top up to show him the top of my jeans, then he made me undo the jeans and open up the fly. I was sooooooo scared, even though I knew I had nothing to hide, and I was sooooooo embarassed becuase it was in front of everyone and he basically got a view down my pants! I was just so glad to get away from him!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:33 pm
TFI
Forum Regular

TFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really nice

This thread is making me nervous, I am facing the probability that I will have to move a couple of weeks before I receive my spousal visa, I’ve been told by lawyers and immigration officials that I should simply enter with my wife and show them my case processing letter, explain that I will be staying with my wife and stepkids until my visa comes through and that I have a return ticked for say 2 months down the road in the event there is a prob.

They say I’ll be admitted as a visitor but wow, after reading this I’m starting to wonder.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

This was MY bad experience. Mind you - it was my fault for being smart!

I went to England with my two sons who were then about 5 and 3. On the last day, I was having breakfast with my Mom when it suddenly dawned on me that my little strip of paper that they stapled into your passport in those days to prove you were an immigrant - I had left it in the safe at the office in Regina, so I had nothing to prove I lived in Canada.

Anyway, we set off. We got to Calgary. The kids were grumpy and tired. They offloaded 300 odd people and there was one short, fat immigration woman checking the passports. So it comes to my turn, the kids were crying and arguing! She says to me "and why are you visiting Canada" - "well, actually I live here" so she asks me for that little strip of paper and I have to tell her that it's in the office safe in Regina. So then she starts to berate me and I say "Well, I could have said I was on holidays like the last person."

Wrong thing to say! She starts going on about how making a false declaration to Canada Customs is an offence etc. etc. -- I said "I did not SAY I was on holidays - I said I COULD have said that."

So she sends me back to an office where a perfectly nice gentleman looked at my Social Insurance Card and sent me on my way!!