Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

Originally Posted by Chops
I think I was a victim over-honesty. As ocean said, it's probably best just to say a little as possible. That was my intension but I must have been asked something that meant I needed to supply more information (can't remember now) so there would have been a danger of me appearing to lie if I hadn't been more forthcoming (beads of sweat, trembling hands, pale complexion etc. )

As dingbat said, I’m sure it’s best not to piss them off. Tempting as it may be to throw in a few quips or be obstinate you’d likely be cutting your nose of to spite your face.

For me on this trip everything worked out fine. I was completely honest and the officials were officious.

It's just the (apparent) attitude that gets me. I want to move for my own reasons of course but I feel (like most immigrants I'm sure) that I will be a positive asset to Canada and a loss to the UK. It should be more of "come on in mate, great to see you" attitude not a "what the bloody hell do you want ya scrounger" one.

It also seems that the government is trying to encourage immigration whereas everyone that involved in the process from the CHC to the a**holes at airports seems to discourage it either by tardiness or rudeness respectfully.

The only exception that I encountered thus far is the BC PNP people who have been great.

Mind you my experience of USA immigration officers is no better, what are the British ones like for non-British citizens?

i.

British ones are just as rude, when my Canadian friends flew into London, they were harassed for 30 mins….. The customs officers are just doing their jobs….. You have no right to enter a country unless you hold the passport of that country so whenever I travel abroad I don’t expect them to be all welcoming, at the end of the day their there to protect their own country….
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
there to protect their own country….
Protect their own country. Yes. Interesting theory.

K.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:10 pm
Made in the UK

poolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud ofpoolking has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kt0157
No, really. He did. I remember it well. It was my first trip to the new airport terminal. I mean, I could hardly forget an incident on a par with the Second Coming for its rarity, could I?

K.
I agree you were not lying, you were standing up at the time
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:28 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You ever thought it might be your attitude in the way you treat them?

PMM
Umm...maybe....

Perhaps I should stop being be polite and helpful from now then? Maybe I will go for the abrupt/rude approach instead (though my instinct tells me this has a greater chance of ending in a full body search :scared: )
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Umm...maybe....

Perhaps I should stop being be polite and helpful from now then? Maybe I will go for the abrupt/rude approach instead (though my instinct tells me this has a greater chance of ending in a full body search :scared: )
Absolutely! My hubby is the epitome of politeness and respect with these people, but has come close to that! He crosses the border about 50 times a year.

(though, to be fair, this is with US immigration, not Canadian)
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:07 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kt0157
I was smiled at by an American security person in Detroit airport once.

K.

Now thats impressive.......to get an American with power and authority to smile
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:10 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Got to admit, to date, I've been pretty impressed by Canadian Customs.

Then again...there's always the odd a..hole who got out the wrong side of bed!
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

From my experience, every single Canadian customs and immigration officer that I`ve dealt with at the airport has been downright miserable. It`s almost like they`re trying to intimidate you, make you nervous so that they have good reason to take you out back for further questioning!! Yes they have a job to do, but surely a smile and a `enjoy your stay/welcome to Canada` won`t got a miss. I have never yet heard a customs or immigration officer show any politeness. I guess I`m just the unlucky one.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here to stay for a month with the plan of getting married while i was here. All i told them was that i was here to see some friends and to have a good long holiday.

The fact that i was staying for a whole month made the guy some what suspicious. So he did to me sort of what he did to you. He attached a note to my passport and told me i had to have it stamped when i left the country.

It was he said his way of making sure i had left and wasnt coming to stay. The fact that i was here for a month made him suspicious i suppose god knows why though.

Anyway i never told him what i was going to do while here and like someone said previously they have no way of knowing once you leave the airport. Giving them the least amount of information is allways the best way with them.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

I had an incident once at Montreal Airport. I'd arranged a weeks holiday with my then to-be-wife, followed by a week at my Canadian office near Ottawa, so at least Louise and I were together for a second week.
The official at the airport (who looked so young, I'm sure we have food in our fridge that's older than him) asked how long I was here for. Twelve days, I said, visiting my girlfriend. What are you going to be doing with your girlfriend for 12 days, he said. Point 1 - I nearly said, ask your father. I actually told him we were going to the Air Canada Arena (in Toronto) the next day to see Neil Diamond in concert, for a treat for my girlfriend as it's was her birthday that day. So if it's her birthday, what have you brought her, he asked. I said - I bought these earrings on the (BA) flight. He said - they cost more than Ca$60 but you've not ticked the box on this form saying goods greater than $60 value and writes some bright red hieroglyphics on the form. He goes on - what else are you doing for 12 days. I told him I intended to spend five days at my office training - and he says, you've ticked the "tourism" box not the "business" box. So more red hieroglyphics go on the form. Have you brought any food into the country, he asks. No, I said, then after a second's thought I said - but I've brought some TicTacs and chewing gum. At this stage he points his pen at me and says - don't be smart with me, or you'll never come to this country again! he then tells me to go to the immigration office where I repeat all this to a Senior official who points me on my way in thirty seconds.
Yes - the front line you see at the Airport are overpowered with their position.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:06 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

It's just the (apparent) attitude that gets me. I want to move for my own reasons of course but I feel (like most immigrants I'm sure) that I will be a positive asset to Canada and a loss to the UK. It should be more of "come on in mate, great to see you" attitude not a "what the bloody hell do you want ya scrounger" one.
That reminds me of an experience I had years ago on an airplane trip. I just happened to be sitting next to the world champion rodeo clown. He told me about how he was poorly treated by Canada Customs when he flew back into Canada (I forget which airport) with his championship trophy (he won in Texas). They gave him the 3rd degree about his trophy and wanted to charge him duty on it and whatnot.... they didn't even bother to say, "congratulations for winning the championship and welcome back".... they were just @ssholes.

I should say that I have also met some rather nice Customs agents too.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jun 28th 2006 at 4:10 am.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

On returning home from Turkey for X-mas in 2001 I was detained at the airport and had my bag swept for drugs, all my presents ripped open and almost had a cavity searched :scared: !! I hate coming home!!

Last year at American customs a customs officer actually made me cry

I think that being a pr*ck is part of the job description.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:09 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
.... and almost had a cavity searched :scared:
Don't they have to get a dentist to do that?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:39 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

search
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:53 am
mañana is my busiest day

...hole in tooth.

You should have opened your mouth wide and said.... okay, but I don't think I have any cavities.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jun 28th 2006 at 6:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.