Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:17 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all
Default Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

I just got back from 2 weeks in BC. The primary reason for the trip was to have my interview with the BC PNP business people.

When asked by the girl checking my passport whether it was business or pleasure trip I said pleasure BUT I was also attending an interview in Vancouver regarding immigration. She was obviously puzzled even after I gave her quite a bit more detail. After about a minute of toing and froing she still hadn’t really got it and I directed to the immigration office behind her.

After a short wait in the office I was summoned to one of the counters where I explained to the Immigration Nazi there the purpose of my visit. I got lots of stupid questions back like how much money did I have, where was I staying, when was my return flight etc. etc.

This is all pretty standard crap but the bit that astounded and p*ssed me off was when he stamped my passport scribbled a date next to it and said as he handed it back to me “you have until the first of July”.

Jumped up little jobs-worth, what happened to the automatic 6 month visitor visa?

Why are these people such a**holes? Are they trained to be that way or are they like that before they join “the service”? Perhaps they just get like that after a period of time?

Having talked to a few Canadians in recent times it seems that they get it just as bad if not WORSE when they return to their own country!

It makes me laugh; the Canadian government is desperate for immigrants, does nothing tangible to facilitate it and instead puts rude, suspicious idiots like that bloke on the immigration desks. Welcome to Canada…NOT!

I am investing a lot of time, effort and money to set up a business that will be a benefit to the town, its residents and visitors (not to mention the Canadian economy) and this is how I am treated? If I wanted behaviour like that I would go and live in France.

Rant over….for now.

Ian.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are immigration officials such a**holes?

Originally Posted by Chops
I just got back from 2 weeks in BC. The primary reason for the trip was to have my interview with the BC PNP business people.

When asked by the girl checking my passport whether it was business or pleasure trip I said pleasure BUT I was also attending an interview in Vancouver regarding immigration. She was obviously puzzled even after I gave her quite a bit more detail. After about a minute of toing and froing she still hadn’t really got it and I directed to the immigration office behind her.

After a short wait in the office I was summoned to one of the counters where I explained to the Immigration Nazi there the purpose of my visit. I got lots of stupid questions back like how much money did I have, where was I staying, when was my return flight etc. etc.

This is all pretty standard crap but the bit that astounded and p*ssed me off was when he stamped my passport scribbled a date next to it and said as he handed it back to me “you have until the first of July”.

Jumped up little jobs-worth, what happened to the automatic 6 month visitor visa?

Why are these people such a**holes? Are they trained to be that way or are they like that before they join “the service”? Perhaps they just get like that after a period of time?

Having talked to a few Canadians in recent times it seems that they get it just as bad if not WORSE when they return to their own country!

It makes me laugh; the Canadian government is desperate for immigrants, does nothing tangible to facilitate it and instead puts rude, suspicious idiots like that bloke on the immigration desks. Welcome to Canada…NOT!

I am investing a lot of time, effort and money to set up a business that will be a benefit to the town, its residents and visitors (not to mention the Canadian economy) and this is how I am treated? If I wanted behaviour like that I would go and live in France.

Rant over….for now.

Ian.
Maybe they're just jealous? You're a go-getter, they're just what you said - a 'jobs-worth'
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:25 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Maybe they're just jealous? You're a go-getter, they're just what you said - a 'jobs-worth'
Thats one aswer.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:30 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

It all depends on just who you get.... I've run into several *sshole customs officials myself. In general, the less you tell them the better.... keep it simple.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It's never been automatic, your admittance period is always at the officer's discretion up to a max of 6mths.

I once got a grilling at YYZ (used British passport at that time), but hey at least I wasn't handcuffed and quizzed about my accent. http://www.geocities.com/obarri.geo/...ishenough.html
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:45 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Rant over….for now.

Ian.
Try not to piss them off. Customs have the ability to create profiles at a port of entry which can flag you upon your next entry to the country....the last thing you need is that sort of hassle. Tell them as little as possible, without withholding essential information. Your trip should have been reported as being for pleasure..it might have been wiser to have left it at that for now. They have no way of knowing what you do when you leave the airport now do they?
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:50 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Rant over….for now.
Some are great, some are assholes. You were unlucky. I'm Canadian and I HATE going through customs because I once got similar treatment because I didn't answer a question in quite the right way; interrogated, frisked by a cop, treated like sh*t etc... Same thing happened to a friend of mine when he made an honest mistake claiming stuff coming in from the US - he even went to court about it all cos he now has a file -- he's considered suspicious now by customs (he's the most honest man I know! )

Try not to take it personally Ian... it's a part of the Canadian experience!
Old Jun 27th 2006, 5:08 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

.... to follow up on what dingbat said, and to clarify what I said... yes, answer their questions, but don't volunteer any information because they may try to twist what you say.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:29 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

I think I was a victim over-honesty. As ocean said, it's probably best just to say a little as possible. That was my intension but I must have been asked something that meant I needed to supply more information (can't remember now) so there would have been a danger of me appearing to lie if I hadn't been more forthcoming (beads of sweat, trembling hands, pale complexion etc. )

As dingbat said, I’m sure it’s best not to piss them off. Tempting as it may be to throw in a few quips or be obstinate you’d likely be cutting your nose of to spite your face.

For me on this trip everything worked out fine. I was completely honest and the officials were officious.

It's just the (apparent) attitude that gets me. I want to move for my own reasons of course but I feel (like most immigrants I'm sure) that I will be a positive asset to Canada and a loss to the UK. It should be more of "come on in mate, great to see you" attitude not a "what the bloody hell do you want ya scrounger" one.

It also seems that the government is trying to encourage immigration whereas everyone that involved in the process from the CHC to the a**holes at airports seems to discourage it either by tardiness or rudeness respectfully.

The only exception that I encountered thus far is the BC PNP people who have been great.

Mind you my experience of USA immigration officers is no better, what are the British ones like for non-British citizens?

i.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:55 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I think I was a victim over-honesty. As ocean said, it's probably best just to say a little as possible. That was my intension but I must have been asked something that meant I needed to supply more information (can't remember now) so there would have been a danger of me appearing to lie if I hadn't been more forthcoming (beads of sweat, trembling hands, pale complexion etc. )

As dingbat said, I’m sure it’s best not to piss them off. Tempting as it may be to throw in a few quips or be obstinate you’d likely be cutting your nose of to spite your face.

For me on this trip everything worked out fine. I was completely honest and the officials were officious.

It's just the (apparent) attitude that gets me. I want to move for my own reasons of course but I feel (like most immigrants I'm sure) that I will be a positive asset to Canada and a loss to the UK. It should be more of "come on in mate, great to see you" attitude not a "what the bloody hell do you want ya scrounger" one.

It also seems that the government is trying to encourage immigration whereas everyone that involved in the process from the CHC to the a**holes at airports seems to discourage it either by tardiness or rudeness respectfully.

The only exception that I encountered thus far is the BC PNP people who have been great.

Mind you my experience of USA immigration officers is no better, what are the British ones like for non-British citizens?

i.
You ever thought it might be your attitude in the way you treat them?

PMM
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
You ever thought it might be your attitude in the way you treat them?
I was smiled at by an American security person in Detroit airport once.

K.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

For some, just like some Customs Officers, it's simply because they can.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kt0157

K.
Coming from L.A. home to Calgary late one evening with two very tired children.

The very kind customs officer looked at us smiled and said Disneyland? We nodded yes and she just said go home and get some sleep.

There are some very nice ones out there but unfortunately we tend to hear only about the a**holes.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:46 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157

K.
You're lying now.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You're lying now.
No, really. He did. I remember it well. It was my first trip to the new airport terminal. I mean, I could hardly forget an incident on a par with the Second Coming for its rarity, could I?

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.