Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why has the exchange rate gone up so much lately.

Why has the exchange rate gone up so much lately.

Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why has the exchange rate gone up so much lately.

Originally Posted by Editha
Current interest rates:
Canada 1%
UK 0.5%
So, if interest rates are the paramount factor, the CAD should have strengthened against the GBP. But it hasn't.
USA interest rate currently 0.4%, but the CAD has been weakening against the USD for the past year.
I'm tempted to use caps too. If someone is deaf you have to shout.
CAD has weakened partly because the central bank has recently set the expectation that interest rates are going to remain low for a long time.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What YOU said was that it was "about interest rates". I and others have pointed out that you are wrong. So you've adopted our arguments and now you are changing your tune. If you are going to open your mouth it is a good idea to know what you are talking about.
It is about interest rates. So, if you're going to start being abusive, at least have some credible theory behind your remonstrations.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It is about interest rates. So, if you're going to start being abusive, at least have some credible theory behind your remonstrations.
Now you are back to "it's about interest rates". Make up your mind!
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Now you are back to "it's about interest rates". Make up your mind!
It is about interest rates, they are the main determinate, if you doubt that then I suggest you have a look in any introductory textbook on macroeconomics.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

merciacanuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lamin
So today it is sitting at about 1.73 good news for sure.

Is this a blip or a sign of a UK recovery, I thought this time of year it always dipped due to the demand for oil.

Are there predictions for better times ahead or will it be short lived.

Crystal ball not working due to expense.
don't worry..Obama will stop propping up the USA economy soon and the US dollar and pound will go down.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 6:54 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It is about interest rates, they are the main determinate, if you doubt that then I suggest you have a look in any introductory textbook on macroeconomics.
I've just checked a couple. You are wrong.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:05 pm

So explain how exchange markets work and how banking, balance of payments and the money supply are linked?
Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yzf.shaun
Have to keep those Canadian equities. No point in Paying marginal rate tax on US divided (assuming unregistered account) when you can pay almost nil tax on Canadian Divis.
Not if the tax you're paying is less than the amount you're losing due to a strengthening US dollar, that's the snag.

Last edited by Steve_; Dec 31st 2013 at 7:32 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 7:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The purpose of interest rates is to control the supply of money and the usual arithmetic doesn't apply because the Fed is currently buying $75 billion of bonds every month. QE is at this moment a far more important factor than interest rates and like I said, this is pretty much uncharted territory so it's easy for CIBC to predict interest rates going up at the end of 2014, but what that means in the context of a draw down in QE in the US is very hard to say, it basically means "no clue" plus one cent.

MV=PT
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

So explain how exchange markets work and how banking, balance of payments and the money supply are linked?

Always nice to see people making friends, everywhere they go.

Originally Posted by Steve_
The purpose of interest rates is to control the supply of money and the usual arithmetic doesn't apply because the Fed is currently buying $75 billion of bonds every month. QE is at this moment a far more important factor than interest rates and like I said, this is pretty much uncharted territory so it's easy for CIBC to predict interest rates going up at the end of 2014, but what that means in the context of a draw down in QE in the US is very hard to say, it basically means "no clue" plus one cent.

MV=PT
I agree that QE has put a huge fly in the ointment, making everything very difficult to predict.
I was hoping the dollar would get stronger, but it looks like that won't happen soon.
Canadian economic performance is usually 6 months behind the US, but these
days that may not mean much either.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

spud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond repute

I note the comment from Steve, we moved to Canada 18 months ago but left a large chunk of our UK house sale monies in the UK i thought that when we move this money to Canada there would be no tax to pay as it was the sale of our main residence?
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:15 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

What YOU said was that it was "about interest rates". I and others have pointed out that you are wrong. So you've adopted our arguments and now you are changing your tune. If you are going to open your mouth it is a good idea to know what you are talking about.
With all due respect to yourself and Mr Oink. Interest rates are one of many factors involved in currency.

It has been known for rising interest rates to lead to a demand for the currency which drives up the value. The concept is known as "Hot Money".

I think Mr Carney has laid out guidelines for when interest rates are likely to rise and this has perhaps restored some faith in the GBP.

As we all know or need to learn there are obviously many other factors involved. Like any economic theory nothing is perfect and no economic theory has been proven to be completely accurate as it relies on the assumption that "all else remains the same".

None the less if you pull out your charts and look at the costs of goods I expect it to get back to the natural 2:1 ratio that I have always stood buy since the days of the lengthy debates we had on the exchange rate thread back in 2010. Several people challenged me with the ludicrous notion we were in for some "currency new world order" with the CDN dollar. All I will say is the charts don't lie.....2 to 1 by the end of 2014.

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 2nd 2014 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:09 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
1.7 historically is still low.

Bear in mind there is no "return to norm" for exchange rates, there isn't a "normal" rate and they can shift all over the place. However like I said 1.7 is pretty low and most people would bet on the UK economy getting stronger and then finally the interest rates may actually go up. How long that will take is hard to predict.

So yes at some point it will be much higher than 1.7

But "when" exactly...

All I can say is, I've said on here repeatedly over the last few years that moving to Canada if you're bringing a lot of money with you is bonkers because the Canadian dollar is only going to fall in value, so if you convert everything you will lose money (or... you keep the money and then face capital gains tax when you finally use it in Canada).

I remember back in 2003 it was $2.50 to £1.
Was about 2.20 back in summer 2007 if I recall correctly. The memories of when everything seemed cheap as a tourist lol...
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by spud1963
I note the comment from Steve, we moved to Canada 18 months ago but left a large chunk of our UK house sale monies in the UK i thought that when we move this money to Canada there would be no tax to pay as it was the sale of our main residence?
There will be capital gains tax based on the currency exchange from the point you became resident in Canada, because it's basically an investment to leave it in a foreign currency. So if it was worth X amount of Canadian dollars at the time you became a resident of Canada and it increases in value to X+Y when you exchange it to Canadian dollars, it then becomes subject to capital gains tax on Y.

Exchange rate issues are a real PITA living in Canada because so frequently you deal in USD. I know people who are paid in USD, have a USD account and a USD credit card and barely use Canadian dollars at all. Saves all the hassle with capital gains/losses.

But there are limits on doing it, the most obvious example being the dividend tax credit which Canadian residents receive on dividends from Canadian corporations. If the exchange rate is stable and the investments pay similar dividends then you'd be nuts to invest abroad, which is something a lot of people moving to Canada fail to realize because they're more used to investing in something to get a return when they sell it, whereas the Canadian investment market is more dividends orientated. And obviously Canadian equities are typically in Canadian dollars.

So you have a balancing act, the usual advice being everything in a tax-free or tax-deferred investment should be heavy on foreign investments (e.g. RRSP and TFSA) and if it's not, then invest in Canadian equities to get the tax credit.

Which is a very difficult thing to determine due to the exchange rate.

All I know is for the last few weeks I've been thinking about dumping a lot of Canadian stock and putting it into US stock and of course today I'm thinking, oh well, at least I haven't got to pay any capital gains tax because I didn't...
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Was about 2.20 back in summer 2007 if I recall correctly. The memories of when everything seemed cheap as a tourist lol...
Yeah, I remember the last big lump sum I transferred in 2007 was at about $2.15.

From what I've read lately, the Chinese are buying less resources because they're selling less crap to the rest of the world, so that can't be good for the Canadian economy. But sinking relative to an economic basket case like the UK still seems embarrassing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.