Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by oicur0t
Again, the same can be said about the UK (especially London) when compared with other parts of the world. Good quality food is very expensive. I also worked for a fashion brand for 5 1/2 years and know where all out clothing comes from and the actual quality of it. Also I think there's got to be an understanding that quality of living does not necessarily equate with being able to buy stuff.

But this has nothing to do with the standard of living. The Greek and Roman empires have contributed massively to the world? China has? It's not really relevant. I can understand if you think that the UK has more opportunities because it's more varied with its heritage, but tbh that can be a hindrance. The aging infrastructure and lack of modern thinking with an over reliance on past glories can only serve to limit the UK.

I think some of your points make sense, but only for those imigrants who are looking for a quick win. I don't expect to earn more money, I don't expect to have a big house and small mortgage. I do expect changes in our lives where we wish there to be changes. Emigration still has a romantic notion to it and an outdated ideal (for the British) that you'll move to the colonies and own your piece of land etc.
That the UK is a better place to be than Canada is based on the premise that the potential Brit emigrant has absorbed all that the UK offers such as an education, cultural activities, easy transport access, etc etc. With all this, plus a Europe that is at your doorstep and a much advanced multi cultural British society, then Canada has very little if anything to offer oher than 'all that glitters' ,which is wearing after a few years. For many, moving to Canada must surely be a regression.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:26 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
I think that by 2050 most native Brits will live in the rural areas and will represent about 25% of the population, much like South Africa.
who exactly are the "native" South Africans you seem to be referring to?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:28 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
That the UK is a better place to be than Canada is based on the premise that the potential Brit emigrant has absorbed all that the UK offers such as an education, cultural activities, easy transport access, etc etc. With all this, plus a Europe that is at your doorstep and a much advanced multi cultural British society, then Canada has very little if anything to offer oher than 'all that glitters' ,which is wearing after a few years. For many, moving to Canada must surely be a regression.
I'm regressing quite nicely thanks.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:32 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

So you could not make it in Canada eh! Not everyone is up to it, no need to beat yourself up about it.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 8th 2009 at 1:35 am.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 2:54 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunataly the migration of people from other countries is slowly diluting the main population centres so that eventually this mongrel mix will take over. I think that by 2050 most native Brits will live in the rural areas and will represent about 25% of the population, much like South Africa.
This is one of the most offensive posts I have ever read on here. However you want to dress it up this is racism. Why don't you move back to the UK and join the BNP - this is clearly the rhetoric you espouse.

Out of curiosity again - what is a native Brit in your narrow minded world?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem is that the country has still the same old mind set, the Class structure. Unfortunataly the migration of people from other countries is slowly diluting the main population centres so that eventually this mongrel mix will take over. I think that by 2050 most native Brits will live in the rural areas and will represent about 25% of the population, much like South Africa.
A lot of this 'mongrel mix' is as a direct result on the Empire you seem so fond of.

You say Britain's heyday, was the 30s & 40s, yet you now say the problem is the old mindset. Presumably this was the mindset of the 30s & 40s. Social structures exist in every society, always have always will. Even in the supposed communist countries, everyone was equal, just some were more equal than others. Look where that got them. The demise of many industries in Britain was as a result of nationalisation and unionisation, look where that got them, back into private hands, several decades later.

De Haviland was doomed due to several very public disasters, the Comet being one as well as the 110 and was taken over by Hawker Siddley, Handley Page went bankrupt in 1970 as it could not compete in the market, its Jetstream being absorbed into Scottish, then BAE. Hardley a result of the 'class structure'.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy
I'm regressing quite nicely thanks.
Exactly Dboy. Canada is a great place to regress in. With a narrow mind, you can still drive luxurious automatic cars otherwise reserved only for the diplomatic community in London. With that same tiny brain, you can live in a larger , architecturally bereft home in Vancouver as opposed to the 70 years old semi in London. Canada is a vast closet. The UK is a tiny globe, and since trends are now global, the future resides in the UK.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think it's very easy to argue the case that artistically the UK punches well above Canadas weight. Not just poncy art either, but films, music, general popular culture; in these the output of the UK surpasses that of Canada by far.
Culture in general, definitely. But the film industry? Are you sure about that?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:47 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Culture in general, definitely. But the film industry? Are you sure about that?
In terms of production, there's a lot going on in Canada, but cultural influence on ideas and subject matter, the UK would be ahead, but this is always an area that Britain likes to big itself up about.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:43 pm

Exactly Dboy. Canada is a great place to regress in. With a narrow mind, you can still drive luxurious automatic cars otherwise reserved only for the diplomatic community in London. With that same tiny brain, you can live in a larger , architecturally bereft home in Vancouver as opposed to the 70 years old semi in London. Canada is a vast closet. The UK is a tiny globe, and since trends are now global, the future resides in the UK.
Like I said, twit. I doubt very few people in the uk are able to live the life that you hold so dear. Many live in completely 'architecturally bereft' homes in inner city areas like Manchester or Brum, stroll down filthy canals, shop in rundown town centres, spend their lives watching coronation street and eating fish and chips. Life is where you make it, some thrive in the UK, others don't.

Last edited by dboy; Nov 8th 2009 at 1:51 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

bikeguy is an unknown quantity at this point

i cant wait for this regressing then, im 19 and looking to move over to Canada. 2 years of riding my bikes theres not a road in the uk i want to see no where i want to go round here, im only looking at moving because from the pictures of canada it looks like a fun and big place to explore all im looking at doing really. the fact that theres a job there is just a bonus for me.
i do alot of bike rides and camping and the lakes look like they will take longer than 10 minutes to canoe across. and as from the winter, i want to play some ice hockey!
i hope vancouver is a good place to start.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:54 pm

Here is an architecturally bereft 100 year old home in vancouver:

[ATTACH]87037
Attached Thumbnails Why do you want to move to Canada-4085w11.jpg  

Last edited by dboy; Nov 8th 2009 at 2:23 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 2:04 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Modern housing in the UK tends to be rubbish. Strucutrally sound, but uninspiring drivel. Most 'heritage' housing in the UK would probably be the streets and streets of terraces built up for the masses (i.e. tiny)

In many ways is trying to compare two different things, space is available in Vancouver, so is good location, but genrally not both. In London you might be able to afford something tiny, you might be able to get a conversion flat, but it will not be in a fab location. The benefits in each location will be different.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by bikeguy
i cant wait for this regressing then, im 19 and looking to move over to Canada. 2 years of riding my bikes theres not a road in the uk i want to see no where i want to go round here, im only looking at moving because from the pictures of canada it looks like a fun and big place to explore all im looking at doing really. the fact that theres a job there is just a bonus for me.
i do alot of bike rides and camping and the lakes look like they will take longer than 10 minutes to canoe across. and as from the winter, i want to play some ice hockey!
i hope vancouver is a good place to start.
You will love BC then. I was an avid cross country mountain biker and the trails are out of this world. Vancouver's north shore is arguably the best cross country and downhill cycling in the world and is often considered the birth place of the mountain bike.

As for kayaking, there are endless opportunities, be it deep cove or an ecomarine adventure around the gulf islands. True outdoors paradise:

[ATTACH]87038

[ATTACH]87039
Attached Thumbnails Why do you want to move to Canada-images.jpg   Why do you want to move to Canada-deep-cove.jpg  

Last edited by dboy; Nov 8th 2009 at 2:23 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by oicur0t
Modern housing in the UK tends to be rubbish. Strucutrally sound, but uninspiring drivel. Most 'heritage' housing in the UK would probably be the streets and streets of terraces built up for the masses (i.e. tiny)

In many ways is trying to compare two different things, space is available in Vancouver, so is good location, but genrally not both. In London you might be able to afford something tiny, you might be able to get a conversion flat, but it will not be in a fab location. The benefits in each location will be different.
Here are some lovely heritage homes in inner city manchester:

[ATTACH]87040
Attached Thumbnails Why do you want to move to Canada-moss_side_manchester_terracespc298795.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.