Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:23 pm
  #31  
Seasoned Maritimer
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick CA
Posts: 8,231
Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Edo View Post
Quality of life could be better ONLY if you can afford it.
This applies everywhere.
Tangram is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:41 pm
  #32  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 37
jackie_w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Thank you one again for all of your replies.

I personally am of the opinion that your life is what you make it no matter where you are in the world.

I like my life at the moment, my husband doesnt like his life here, and he thinks we will all have a better life in Canada and heres the reasons hes given:-

We live in a large house (my dream home), we have a mortgage of approx £50,000 but the house is valued at £250,000 (this is at todays prices).
His sister who is in Canada now lives in one of those ranch style homes with a theatre room, games room, 5 bedrooms with a pool and a hot tub!!!!!! She bought the house for approx $350,000 canadian dollars, so immediately hes thinking if we moved there we would be mortgage free live in a big house like that with better weather and we would have a pool. She didnt have this when she was here, infact she lived in a semi detached 2 bedroomed home and could no way have afforded having anything near like this in the UK. If I ask him why he thinks we would be better off there, he will say we wont have a mortgage, we will still have money in the bank, and will have an overall better quality of life. These things dont bother me at all.

MY BIL (who lives in Canada) says that its better in Canada because when our children grow up there will be no way that they will be able to get on the housing ladder in the UK whereas they will in Canada, and also the job prospects are better in Canada too, but I dont know about this.

Other things I think about are the education system. We live in Scotland, so the way things stand just now my kids wont need to pay for their further education, whereas in Canada, we would need to pay for their education if they decide to go to college or university. My SIL has also said the education system isnt as good in Canada! I cant comment on this personally because I dont know.

When my FIL was speaking to me about it he told me to look at what SIL and her family have and compare it to what they had here, and told me to think about what we could have if we moved there. Also, when we went to visit SIL in the summer, her daughter (my neice) did some sort of community service thing through the school, and was given a bike (I think if I remember correctly that it was something to do with Tim Nortons or something, maybe someone can correct me on that). So immediately FIL thinks this is a brilliant thing, because "you would never see anyone in the UK doing that because they are all too busy lining their own pockets to think of the youth"!!!!!!

As I said I did miss Canada when I came home, and ive never felt like that when ive come home from a holiday before, and I really really missed Sephora lol.

I just dont want anyone thinking that Im not doing the best for my kids by NOT moving to Canada which is basically what my Inlaws are saying in a roundabout way.

I really miss my SIL when she moved, we were so close to them, and they have said they would love us to move over there, but I just dont know.

Jackie

Last edited by jackie_w; Oct 31st 2009 at 7:46 pm.
jackie_w is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:47 pm
  #33  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

[QUOTE=TheBestUsername;8060410]There's really no doubt that the cliche of, "the grass is always greener on the other side" is applicable with most cases of immigration. That's the whole point of it, yes, but it is also misleading.

And, as for those who claim that they have experienced everything that the UK has to offer, I will say this. Unless you are approaching your 220th birthday, no. You have not. If you ever experience everything which the UK has to offer, I will be long dead, so you will not be able to brag about it to me. Quick-temperedness and impatience are not good motivating factors for immigrating to another country, especially one which isn't the UK.

There are plenty of good reasons that people have, and have thought carefully about, for moving to Canada. And, I respect that. But, claiming that the UK is not a good country is simply incorrect, almost to a comical extent.[/QUOTE

You are right of course, but there is are also a hell of a lot of crap places in the UK, probably more than good. I find in the UK that most of the major urban areas are not as appealing. It's also not just about niceness but also about opportunity and standard of living. This is where it gets very difficult to generalize as each persons experience will be very different. Those that love skiing and access to some of the most beautiful scenery in the world that affords endless activities it can provide would love BC, those that love history, heritage and the fine arts may not see it that way. We all have different drives - so to assume that your definition of the good vs the bad of place is really quite selfish. Sorry to say, but the UK, well Manchester really, for me was well simply put... CRAP - but hey, that's just me, I'm sure there are many who would see it differently, take a hardcore MANU supporter for instance.

You are right though, off hand comments such as England is crap, I'm out of here are silly. My brother has talked about moving here off and on and I asked him surely there must be somewhere in the UK you could consider - he was adamant that there was not, which I find surprising. Odd how someone will consider a move abroad buy not to elsewhere in the UK.

Last edited by dboy; Oct 31st 2009 at 7:50 pm.
dboy is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:58 pm
  #34  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,043
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
The general election turnout is about 60%, so it is simply not true to say that "most people in the UK" so not vote.

Apologies, you are correct. I don't know why, but I thought that in 2005, voter turnout was less than 50%




Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
DO you mean like the BNP or something? None of the main parties are advocating pulling out of the EU. You are possibly confusing not having a choice with agreement.
The main parties give what they think the voters want, to do otherwise, would take them out of the "main parties" category. UKIP, is one such example. So form your own party if that is what you want.



Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
Are you saying that anybody who does not think that the "best" laws came from the EU is unintelligent. Unlike you I presume. Good lord.

Please provide me with an EU law (actual Regulation or Directive, as opposed to a newspaper article) that you disagree with.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
BTW UK employees have had employment protection long before the EU came along.
Again, please name those that afforded civil redress for employees. The vast majority of Health and Safety protection, Factories Acts etc., provided for criminal sanctions and not civil liability. EU law has made empowered employees to a huge extent.
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:05 pm
  #35  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian View Post

Please provide me with an EU law (actual Regulation or Directive, as opposed to a newspaper article) that you disagree with.
The ban on Britain controlling immigration from other EU states?
Obligation to give those from other EU states full access to British education facilities?
Extradition on demand of British citizens to other EU states?
EU defacement of the British passport?

That will do for starters.
JAJ is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:13 pm
  #36  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Hello there,

Ive already posted on this board under the "immigration" thread as my husband is thinking of moving to Canada, but im unsure.

Ive never been one that wants to live abroad, I dont know why, its just something Ive never thought of.

We were in Canada on holiday in the summer, and to be honest, when we came back home I really did miss Canada, and thought about it alot. My SIL (husbands sister) and her family live there, and we were very close to them before they moved to Canada last year and I do miss them very much.

My mum says theres nothing here (in GB) and we would be mad not to go, and my FIL and MIL say I should be thinking of our 2 kids because they will have a much better life in Canada than here. Why they think that I dont know because they have only been to Canada for 2 weeks before and that was with us, in the summer. They mean well and are only wanting the best for their grandchildren, but is moving to Canada the best thing for them?
Im now left feeling that if I dont go to Canada, people will be thinking that Im not doing whats best for my children, and that makes me very sad.

Is moving to Canada the best thing for us all?

Why did you want to move to Canada, and can I just ask how long does it roughly take for everything to go ahead? For my Sil it took approx 3 years.

Jackie

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
You'll only get a better life if you can get work. That's not so easy these days. You said your husband's job is on the list which is good, but does he need to requalify etc to work here and if so does he realise what's involved with that? Are there really any jobs in his field in the area you want to live in?

You have a good point about the kids getting free education in Scotland. As you say, you have a good life there. What is it that your husband doesn't like about his life it and is he sure he will get that here? The pool he fancies is only usable for 4, maybe 5 months of the year.

Beware of people who have moved here saying that they love it. I would never admit to people back home that for the best part of 2 years I wished we had never come. I still wonder if it was the right thing to do. Healthcare, education, job security, lack of sick pay for part time staff, lack of pensions for part time, just a few things to make you think that it isn't the promised land.

Your family is being supportive really, trying not to hold you back if you do decide to move.
fledermaus is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:19 pm
  #37  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Edo View Post
Quality of life could be better ONLY if you can afford it.
Why? Lack of money can make life more challenging, however I would disagree that quality of life depends entirely on having money. One of my grandfathers lived an extremely simply life, never owned a car or house, lived in rags much of the time and before he died told me there was nothing he would have done differently had he lived all over again. My other grandfather was very well off and continually complained about what a hard life he had and nothing was ever right. All of the money he had did not give him what he thought was a good quality of life.There is way more to quality of life than being able to afford it.

Quality of life depends on what you are contented with.
Aviator is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:27 pm
  #38  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005 View Post
Those selling houses in the UK between '05 and '07 and moving when the exchange rate was 2.30/2.40 could expect a step change in quality of life as they could live mortgage free. That's not the case now - and there is truth in what you say.
The best I got was $2.62, but cannot say my quality of life improved because of it. We sold in a depressed market in the 90s and lost money on the house, that's the way it goes, it had no influence on our choice to immigrate or not. We just decided we fancied a change and moved. Fifteen or so years down the road, cannot say I give it much thought, just a distant memory now. We have a comfortable standard of living, family and enjoy our surroundings. Would I do things any differently? Probably not. We're not wealthy, but for right now don't have to lose sleep over where the next $ is coming from, hopefully this will continue.
Aviator is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:47 pm
  #39  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by The Aviator View Post
Why? Lack of money can make life more challenging, however I would disagree that quality of life depends entirely on having money. One of my grandfathers lived an extremely simply life, never owned a car or house, lived in rags much of the time and before he died told me there was nothing he would have done differently had he lived all over again. My other grandfather was very well off and continually complained about what a hard life he had and nothing was ever right. All of the money he had did not give him what he thought was a good quality of life.There is way more to quality of life than being able to afford it.

Quality of life depends on what you are contented with.
Not the BE 'you don't need money to be happy / we aren't emigrating for material reasons' chestnut again. Because of the media we are are all discontent with our lives and want more and want it now (although BE is full of hypocrites that deny this to the point of self delusion). Whether we want a 'simpler' rural life funded by a house sale or a place in the city we are all aspirational middle class consumers and emigres doubly so because 'we are worth it'

And, by the way, 'money can't buy you happiness' is a lie told to the poor. Try having none if you believe that - although it's a sure way to misery and an early grave.

Ok, that was a bit of rant, sorry.
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:56 pm
  #40  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005 View Post
Not the BE 'you don't need money to be happy / we aren't emigrating for material reasons' chestnut again. Because of the media we are are all discontent with our lives and want more and want it now (although BE is full of hypocrites that deny this to the point of self delusion). Whether we want a 'simpler' rural life funded by a house sale or a place in the city we are all aspirational middle class consumers and emigres doubly so because 'we are worth it'

And, by the way, 'money can't buy you happiness' is a lie told to the poor. Try having none if you believe that - although it's a sure way to misery and an early grave.

Ok, that was a bit of rant, sorry.
Money, lots of it or none of it is no guarantee of contentment. I tried both scenarios and definately prefer having some, coz I like stuff. However I don't feel happier with it. My younger wild days, skint and running lose with HMs hardware was satisfying in one degree, but having my family and good health is satisfying in another. Too old for the other shit now anyway. It all depends on each individuals experiences, perspective and needs. It's very surprising how our perspective changes when it looked like the end was near or we've lost friends. Come back from a war then tell me if money really matters!

Happiness or contentment is a state of mind and money cannot buy you that. Denying it is something the less well off say because they want more.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 31st 2009 at 8:59 pm.
Aviator is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:31 pm
  #41  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,043
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
The ban on Britain controlling immigration from other EU states?
Obligation to give those from other EU states full access to British education facilities?
Extradition on demand of British citizens to other EU states?
EU defacement of the British passport?

That will do for starters.
My. my, we are xenophobic?

It cuts both ways though and, other than the immigration one, I doubt many UK voters care about any of those and there are, of course, reciprocal rights that British citizens have in relation to other EU states.

I do like the British passport one though who'd ave thunk it
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:35 pm
  #42  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

[QUOTE=fledermaus;8060592]You'll only get a better life if you can get work. That's not so easy these days. You said your husband's job is on the list which is good, but does he need to requalify etc to work here and if so does he realise what's involved with that? Are there really any jobs in his field in the area you want to live in?

You have a good point about the kids getting free education in Scotland. As you say, you have a good life there. What is it that your husband doesn't like about his life it and is he sure he will get that here? The pool he fancies is only usable for 4, maybe 5 months of the year.

Beware of people who have moved here saying that they love it. I would never admit to people back home that for the best part of 2 years I wished we had never come. I still wonder if it was the right thing to do. Healthcare, education, job security, lack of sick pay for part time staff, lack of pensions for part time, just a few things to make you think that it isn't the promised land.

Yes but this is your experience I'm sure that there many who have improved their lives. I have top shelf health care, job security, sick pay (unlimited) and an excellent pension.

You are right in urging caution but don't assume that your situation applies to everyone, as much as mine doesn't.
dboy is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:43 pm
  #43  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,284
fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

[QUOTE=dboy;8060709]
Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
You'll only get a better life if you can get work. That's not so easy these days. You said your husband's job is on the list which is good, but does he need to requalify etc to work here and if so does he realise what's involved with that? Are there really any jobs in his field in the area you want to live in?

You have a good point about the kids getting free education in Scotland. As you say, you have a good life there. What is it that your husband doesn't like about his life it and is he sure he will get that here? The pool he fancies is only usable for 4, maybe 5 months of the year.

Beware of people who have moved here saying that they love it. I would never admit to people back home that for the best part of 2 years I wished we had never come. I still wonder if it was the right thing to do. Healthcare, education, job security, lack of sick pay for part time staff, lack of pensions for part time, just a few things to make you think that it isn't the promised land.

Yes but this is your experience I'm sure that there many who have improved their lives. I have top shelf health care, job security, sick pay (unlimited) and an excellent pension.

You are right in urging caution but don't assume that your situation applies to everyone, as much as mine doesn't.
I didn't say that my situation did apply to everyone. Nor do I assume it does. It is more likely to apply to a new immigrant though.

Good for you for having "top shelf heathcare". If you lose your job you probably would lose that. Oh, sorry I forgot you have top shef job security and unlimited sick pay. Smug git.
fledermaus is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:47 pm
  #44  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by Alan2005 View Post
Not the BE 'you don't need money to be happy / we aren't emigrating for material reasons' chestnut again. Because of the media we are are all discontent with our lives and want more and want it now (although BE is full of hypocrites that deny this to the point of self delusion). Whether we want a 'simpler' rural life funded by a house sale or a place in the city we are all aspirational middle class consumers and emigres doubly so because 'we are worth it'

And, by the way, 'money can't buy you happiness' is a lie told to the poor. Try having none if you believe that - although it's a sure way to misery and an early grave.

Ok, that was a bit of rant, sorry.
You certainly need a certain amount of money to be happy - life don't come cheap especially in Lotus Land, what that amount is will depend on the individual I suppose. I feel I make enough money, although I could always use a bit more!

I guess those of us that moved here to be with our partners are in a different boat, since we didn't necessarily move here to cash in on cheaper real estate or higher paying jobs etc. Having said that, the fact that I am financially healthy here no doubt contributes to my deciding to stay. I wouldn't be so fickle to say it was because the mountains and all that have enriched me.

Quality of life and standard of life are not always related. Assuming one is financially equal in one place vs another, why choose one over the other?
dboy is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:55 pm
  #45  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

[QUOTE=fledermaus;8060713]
Originally Posted by dboy View Post

I didn't say that my situation did apply to everyone. Nor do I assume it does. It is more likely to apply to a new immigrant though.

Good for you for having "top shelf heathcare". If you lose your job you probably would lose that. Oh, sorry I forgot you have top shef job security and unlimited sick pay. Smug git.
Yes your caution is very real. I thought I said that somewhere. I too have struggled here, but then again the life I had in the UK was a hell of a lot harder. Life at times will "vomit on your hidadown" as Blackadder used to put it but that has less to down with where you are at the time, not discounting how harder things are without family/friends - believe me I know. I also had a very rough first two years here. But fortune rewards the brave and all that.

And I wasn't trying to be smug, simply showing both sides of the coin. But I definitely agree that moving abroad if one already has a good life should not be taken lightly.
dboy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.