Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:29 pm
London -Vancouver bound

Libertay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Is it right that most employers only give 15 days holiday in BC?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:30 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lychee
I think initially, before even setting foot in Canada, a lot of people have romantic ideals about the Canadian landscape. "Oh, mountains! Lakes! Rivers! Forests!"... but then they find themselves settling in somewhere which is hundreds of miles away from the Canadian landscape of their imaginations. Or they don't fully appreciate that there is often hundreds of miles, if not thousands, before they can ever reach those destinations within Canada.

Somebody dreaming of Canadian Rockies and then finding themselves in Windsor Ontario, for example, will really notice those distances.
Yep - thank God my ex was from Vancouver and not Windsor or elsewhere!
London -Vancouver bound

The lifestyle's completely different because it's not focused around career - it's focused around enjoying the beaches, the forests, the mountains, the islands, and the restaurants. It's not about pubs or nightclubs or theatre. Not so much anyway. It's much more of a grassroots city, somewhat of a DIY vibe.
I like the sound of that
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I think initially, before even setting foot in Canada, a lot of people have romantic ideals about the Canadian landscape. "Oh, mountains! Lakes! Rivers! Forests!"... but then they find themselves settling in somewhere which is hundreds of miles away from the Canadian landscape of their imaginations. Or they don't fully appreciate that there is often hundreds of miles, if not thousands, before they can ever reach those destinations within Canada.

Somebody dreaming of Canadian Rockies and then finding themselves in Windsor Ontario, for example, will really notice those distances.
Sure, but then they are idiots. When I lived in England, I would have liked a view of the Snowdon Horseshoe from my living room window. Trouble is, I was in the wrong country.
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libertay
Is it right that most employers only give 15 days holiday in BC?
2 weeks is standard minimum. Depending on the position, seniority, union, etc - you'll get more.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alekssandra
I really advise you to google Q Wealth Report and read it.
There are most of the answer on how to profit from being expatriate. Enjoy!
Why do you work for them?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

That's more or less what I was thinking.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:41 pm
London -Vancouver bound

2 weeks is standard minimum. Depending on the position, seniority, union, etc - you'll get more.
It does seem very little when minimum UK is 20.. I believe I was lucky in my last position with 30 days holiday..

(Note when saying about my mum staying I meant she could come for a month not I would have a month holiday)

Sorry if this is off topic but could someone let me know the standard working hours in a day for Vancouver BC?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem very little when minimum UK is 20
Why? What happens in Canada has nothing to do with how things are done elsewhere. Some people get more, some get the basic, which is determined by how long they have been employed by a company.

There is often no paid holiday entitlement for the first year. What you earn in year one accrues to pay for year 2 vacation. When you leave you get any back holiday paid owed. Some employers may allow some vacation pay in year one but not all. Vacation pay accrues as a percentage of earnings.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:46 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is off topic but could someone let me know the standard working hours in a day for Vancouver BC?
There's no 'standard' as such. It'll depend on your trade, the employer, union rules etc etc.

FWIW, here are some examples: I'm a marketing director and work 8-4, and get 6wks holiday.

A friend of mine is a builder, he works 7-3.30 and gets 2wks holiday. A neighbour's an electrician and has similar conditions.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Why? What happens in Canada has nothing to do with how things are done elsewhere. Some people get more, some get the basic, which is determined by how long they have been employed by a company.

There is often no paid holiday entitlement for the first year. What you earn in year one accrues to pay for year 2 vacation. When you leave you get any back holiday paid owed. Some employers may allow some vacation pay in year one but not all. Vacation pay accrues as a percentage of earnings.
That may be so. Doesn't stop 2 weeks seeming miserly - which it is. It may be normal here, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing; quite frankly 10-15 days holiday a year sucks.

You also have to be careful about extra holidays due to length of service. I've heard of some employers giving you an extra day, but then pro-rata your salary down due to one less day worked. Bastards.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That may be so. Doesn't stop 2 weeks seeming miserly - which it is. It may be normal here, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing; quite frankly 10-15 days holiday a year sucks.

You also have to be careful about extra holidays due to length of service. I've heard of some employers giving you an extra day, but then pro-rata your salary down due to one less day worked. Bastards.
From BC standards. Those that have a problem can file a complaint.

57 (1) An employer must give an employee an annual vacation of

(a) at least 2 weeks, after 12 consecutive months of employment, or
(b) at least 3 weeks, after 5 consecutive years of employment.
(2) An employer must ensure an employee takes an annual vacation within 12 months after completing the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation.
(3) An employer must allow an employee who is entitled to an annual vacation to take it in periods of one or more weeks.
(4) An annual vacation is exclusive of statutory holidays that an employee is entitled to.

Vacation pay

58 (1) An employer must pay an employee the following amount of vacation pay:

(a) after 5 calendar days of employment, at least 4% of the employee's total wages during the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation pay;
(b) after 5 consecutive years of employment, at least 6% of the employee's total wages during the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation pay.
(2) Vacation pay must be paid to an employee
(a) at least 7 days before the beginning of the employee's annual vacation, or
(b) on the employee's scheduled paydays, if
(i) agreed in writing by the employer and the employee, or
(ii) provided by the collective agreement.
(3) Any vacation pay an employee is entitled to when the employment terminates must be paid to the employee at the time set by section 18 for paying wages.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
From BC standards. Those that have a problem can file a complaint.

57 (1) An employer must give an employee an annual vacation of

(a) at least 2 weeks, after 12 consecutive months of employment, or
(b) at least 3 weeks, after 5 consecutive years of employment.
(2) An employer must ensure an employee takes an annual vacation within 12 months after completing the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation.
(3) An employer must allow an employee who is entitled to an annual vacation to take it in periods of one or more weeks.
(4) An annual vacation is exclusive of statutory holidays that an employee is entitled to.

Vacation pay

58 (1) An employer must pay an employee the following amount of vacation pay:

(a) after 5 calendar days of employment, at least 4% of the employee's total wages during the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation pay;
(b) after 5 consecutive years of employment, at least 6% of the employee's total wages during the year of employment entitling the employee to the vacation pay.
(2) Vacation pay must be paid to an employee
(a) at least 7 days before the beginning of the employee's annual vacation, or
(b) on the employee's scheduled paydays, if
(i) agreed in writing by the employer and the employee, or
(ii) provided by the collective agreement.
(3) Any vacation pay an employee is entitled to when the employment terminates must be paid to the employee at the time set by section 18 for paying wages.
I never said it was illegal. I wouldn't impose laws on employers anyway - it's up to employee's to negotiate their own holiday rates either through unions or individually. The fact is anything less than 20 days sucks. I wouldn't work for less than that amount of vacation time a year and anyone offering less will be missing out on my services (and I'm very good at what I do, even if I do say so myself)
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:04 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's just the way holiday pay schemes work. For two weeks they will withhold 2/52nds of your hourly pay to pay out during your 2 weeks absence. After you get 3 weeks allowance they will withhold 3/52nds to cover three weeks of not clocking in.

If you are on salary rather than hourly then you wont notice.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
That's just the way holiday pay schemes work. For two weeks they will withhold 2/52nds of your hourly pay to pay out during your 2 weeks absence. After you get 3 weeks allowance they will withhold 3/52nds to cover three weeks of not clocking in.

If you are on salary rather than hourly then you wont notice.
Yeah - it's hardly an incentive though is it. It would be better just to give employees the option of buying extra holiday. All this makes me realize how lucky I was being able to transfer my job here rather than start from scratch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.