Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I didn't say I found it offensive, I said you were being misleading.

You said the report was about Canada as a whole, when clearly the report mentions only the Toronto area. The summary below does not mention your point at all about a immigrant-heavy area such as Toronto subsidising other areas of Canada. It actually states that immigrants should be utilised more. It does say that an area such as Toronto typically drives the economy, but I don't think it supports the point you are making (unless I have missed something).:

OECD’s new review of the Toronto region makes numerous recommendations to make the city more sustainably competitive:
Innovate - Toronto could boost innovation by encouraging greater collaboration between the region’s industries, small businesses and universities and strengthening links between firms. Governments could build on and expand laudable initiatives like the MaRS Discovery District in downtown Toronto, where technological start-ups in life sciences are assisted with work space and services, allowing for inter-linkages between sectors.
Employ skilled immigrants - To profit from the economic and employment opportunities offered by Toronto’s cultural diversity, initiatives such as bridging programmes and internships should be expanded. Reviewing the credentials of prospective immigrants before they arrive in Canada and a pan-Canadian framework for foreign qualification recognition would speed the employment process. To provide housing for new immigrants, regional agreements could define the share of low-cost housing to be included in new developments
Improve transport infrastructure - Financial incentives to use public transit instead of cars, such as congestion charges, high-occupancy toll (HOT) lanes, local fuel taxes and parking taxes could be considered, as could more revenue sources for Metrolinx, the regional transportation agency. The federal government should work with municipal governments on predictable, long-term, infrastructure funding and evaluation with a view to contributing to the competitiveness of the Toronto region and the country as a whole.
Green the region - Initiatives such as Toronto’s Mayor’s Tower Renewal project, which links social and environmental sustainability, should be expanded to include greening affordable housing and focussing on green jobs and industries. This would stimulate SMEs to develop alternative technologies and energy sources, allowing industry, transportation, etc to phase out carbon-based energy.
Improve co-ordination and communications across all levels of government – Ontario could intensify strategic planning for the Toronto region’s economic development, social integration and environmental sustainability. Existing networks of municipalities and non-governmental stakeholders could be further developed as part of a provincial urban policy agenda which would start with the Toronto region and extend to other cities. The Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario, announced in August 2009, will encourage federal involvement in fostering a sustainable competitiveness agenda for the Toronto region.

You've got to admit the birds in Vancouver are pretty fit.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:05 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Even the English ones?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:32 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
as in healthy and athletic of course
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
If you can show where I have been inflammatory and misleading I will apologise to the original poster. Again, as pointed out earlier, there is a growing body of independent and impartial CANADIAN research which, taken with today's OECD report, points to areas such as the GTA and Ontario, and some major cities in BC for example,being principal immigrant locations, paying for other areas which traditionally happen to be populated by long time Canadians. The benefits and security enjoyed by such long time Canadians are not to be anticipated by new Canadians, but new Canadians are expected to pay into the system without question. Fact is fact. What is it that you find offensive?
Well, let us start with this. Why did you originally report this as

The O E C D has put out a report today, pointing specifically to Canada as a country that urges immigration, but does not provide opportunity for new immigrants.
GTA/GV not Canada and benefits and not opportunity. Saying that an immigant will have to work to pay benefits for the existing population is a very different thing to saying that new immigrants have no opportunities.

You are obviously an intelligent man and know how to use words. So, why did you spin the meaning of this report?

Further, as I responded in a reasonably respectful manner, this is a phenomena experienced by all developed nations. Without this context your post misleads prospective immigrants to Canada.

(As an aside, citing "a growing body of body of independent and impartial research" is generally taken to mean "I made this up" unless you quote references.)

But for a Brit: with a long and noble history reflected in every facet of UK life, why would Canada be attractive? high utilisation of natural resourses such as oil, poor city/town planning and increasingly unrewarding investment into Canadian life, must provoke second thoughts for anyone currently thinking of moving here.

Even prisons become beautiful to the imprisoned.
Britain has a long, and fascinating history. No argument there. But noble? I find it hard to take seriously an intelligent person who can make such a bold statement. We have moved on from history as it was taught in the Edwardian era.

Food quality is lower in Canada, and may even be less healthy. Clothing is of the lowest quality as it must be to reflect inferior demand and sourcing (Canada produces none). For real quality in anything, choice is limited for the average joe, but accessible to the few in the upper income brackets which consequently means those who are well past being the 'immigrant'.
You state this as fact. It is not. Have you been to all of Canada?

The UK has contributed massively to the world.
Yes it has. Not always something to be proud of though. Is it?

There's barely anything that Canada has done as a nation of its own volition
Oh, this is a fact as well is it?

and what it has done is exaggerated by Canadians.
No argument, but it is hardly unique in this.

That the UK is a better place to be than Canada is based on the premise that the potential Brit emigrant has absorbed all that the UK offers such as an education, cultural activities, easy transport access, etc etc. With all this, plus a Europe that is at your doorstep and a much advanced multi cultural British society, then Canada has very little if anything to offer oher than 'all that glitters' ,which is wearing after a few years. For many, moving to Canada must surely be a regression.
Europe on the doorstep is true. The rest is jingoistic nonsense.

Exactly Dboy. Canada is a great place to regress in. With a narrow mind, you can still drive luxurious automatic cars otherwise reserved only for the diplomatic community in London. With that same tiny brain, you can live in a larger
At least I am in good company when it comes to personal insults.

architecturally bereft home in Vancouver as opposed to the 70 years old semi in London. Canada is a vast closet. The UK is a tiny globe, and since trends are now global, the future resides in the UK.
So I guess you have studied architecture in Vancouver? If you are talking about some of the subdivisions in the suburbs I might even agree (a bit). I've lived in both. There is plenty of architecture in Vancouver that will stand very favorably against a drab 1940s semi in London.

No sir, I have not been flying as close to the sun as you have. As a matter of fact, in my short time in Canada Ive done fairly well, and would go so far as to say, better than the average new canadian. But I put that down to an excellent Uk upbringing, set of values and witness of the personal sacrifices and determination made by the British at home and abroad.
Good on you. But why wouldn't other British immigrants, who have the same innate advantages that you have, do equally as well?

My point is that Canada takes more than it gives, especially when it comes to Brits in Canada.
Another "fact." Are we going to bother with any evidence to support this or should we just take you word for it. I am particularly interested in how Canada takes more from British immigrants than it does from others.

As for what the UK has given to the world in the last 50 years DBoy. Almost every troubled spot in the world today has a lack of British presence/influence presently.
This is not really the time of year to comment on the value of Britain's role overseas. Anyway, Novo has addressed this rubbish.

Look also to the role the current PM has played in getting the global financial crisis under some control. he was the first leader with courage enough to take action, and he actually led in bringing some semblance of financial framework in the first 30 days of the global collapse.
This did make me chortle. I guess it is possible to totally ignore the state of UK PLC's finances to make a point, just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

Go back 50 years, and from 1959 onwards compare the exemplary handing over of government to dozens of newly independent ex colonies....compare that with the ramshackle dumping of France, Portugal and the Netherlands of their colonies. Until today, those countries are suffering from the deliberate undermining of their futures as compared to the ex brit colonies.
I refer to to Novo's excellent response.

every single one handed back to the indigenous, with care and affection. If they buggered up once they had a few years under their belts it's because of their own sheer stupidity in ignoring the values that the UK tried to hand them. The more anti Brit, you will notice the worse off they are and the more they willfully harm their own.
Ditto.

I dont think Im arrogant at all. Im not posting about myself here, but about what the possible reasons could be for vacating the UK/Europe to end up in a cold, bland, shiny, culturally devoid, intellectually vacant place like Canada. It would be much better to move to America if you are desperate to get away from the UK.
Would you care to give any reasons for your advice? To declare Canada culturally devoid and intellectually vacant is not just offensive but stupid as well.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:58 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, you and dboy were the worst offenders on this thread. It's very disappointing I must say.
cheers.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:19 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, apparently we have a real live 18th century Imperalist in our midst.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Well, apparently we have a real live 18th century Imperalist in our midst.
better than bloody minded stalinists like some on here.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:22 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

better than bloody minded stalinists like some on here.
you really ought to quit while you are ahead.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I'm convinced the only people that would benefit if the BE members returned would be the daily mail circulation department
Why does the Daily Mail get such a bashing on here?....take the Guardian for example, that is equally as biased in the other direction? well in my opinion anyway.

After all its the rags like the Sun and the Mirror that are the real comic cuts! oh and then there is the Daily Star..... hmmmm....large stroke of chin!

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Nov 11th 2009 at 5:59 am.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Why does the Daily Mail get such a bashing on here?....take the Guardian for example, that is equally as biased in the other direction? well in my opinion anyway.

After all its the rags like the Sun and the Mirror that are the real comic cuts! oh and then there is the Daily Star..... hmmmm....large stroke of chin!
'Cos The Daily Mail is a nasty, small-minded, vindictive, xenophobic, homophobic, bigoted, prejudice-pandering, mob-stoking, hate-mongering, cynically populist, ad hominem arse-wipe of a paper. You can still wipe your arse on The Guardian, but it's none of the other things.

And yes, yes... 'Why is it, then, that so many people read The Daily Mail?' Christ knows. Because they're all British, I guess.

Last edited by MartianTom; Nov 11th 2009 at 9:36 am.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:46 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
'Cos The Daily Mail is a nasty, small-minded, vindictive, xenophobic, homophobic, bigoted, prejudice-pandering, mob-stoking, hate-mongering, cynically populist, ad hominem arse-wipe of a paper. You can still wipe your arse on The Guardian, but it's none of the other things.

And yes, yes... 'Why is it, then, that so many people read The Daily Mail?' Christ knows. Because they're all British, I guess.

....for pure comedy value it's online comments are wonderful - the majority of the posters make Nick Griffin sound like a black, lesbian social worker.

Last edited by bsmith; Nov 11th 2009 at 10:03 am.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Why does the Daily Mail get such a bashing on here?....
Two words....Jeff Powell
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

dorsetgal will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Cos England's _ _ _ t

Do it do it... adventure!
always easy to use long descriptive words - don't think you are any loss to UK!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

as always - its not a case of 'the grass is always greener'

Canada is not a Utopia and neither is the UK. Try first would be sensible advice
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Cos England's _ _ _ t

Do it do it... adventure!
love your descriptive intelligent banter - you're obviously a loss for the Uk and a tremendous gain for Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.