Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:41 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by iaink

Oh, it was a rhetorical question wasnt it...
Wrong...came to Alberta in 1963 been hearing the same old claptrap from Ontario ever since.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Wrong...came to Alberta in 1963 been hearing the same old claptrap from Ontario ever since.
A glutton for punishment then
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:43 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see the point in getting into personal conflict with posters over their opinions, its just makes this whole place seem less friendly and puts more people off posting their own experiences. If people post erroneous information as fact, then by all means correct the record, but its counterproductive to argue the toss over someone elses opinion, they are not going to change it.
That is fair enough if someone is posting sincere opinions.

However, whan a poster goes to all the effort of concocting deliberately inflammatory material it seems rather unsporting not to play with them.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

A glutton for punishment then
Not really just tired of hearing it.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

However, whan a poster goes to all the effort of concocting deliberately inflammatory material it seems rather unsporting not to play with them.
I've long since given up judging anonymous levels of sincerity. My life is easier if people just ignore posts they think are made simply to provoke a response

Too many niggly little argumentative threads here of late in my opinion. Why cant we all just get along
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you and dboy were the worst offenders on this thread. It's very disappointing I must say.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, you and dboy were the worst offenders on this thread. It's very disappointing I must say.
Well, obviously, I am crushed by your opprobrium. Should I join you in the Are Salaries Lower thread to see how it is done properly?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fledermaus
but surely some helpful information such as this report will be useful when you do decide, or do you just want to hear success stories??

PS, can we have a link to the OECD report to read it ourselves.

PPS, do we dislike Wheatsheaf? what did I miss?
I missed it as well.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, obviously, I am crushed by your opprobrium. Should I join you in the Are Salaries Lower thread to see how it is done properly?
If you want to channelize your discontentment stream into a new domain area, there is traction in the mindwave that our methodologies could be synchronized.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

I take it that you mean me?. Without any desire to be condescending, what would make me trustworthy, or my opinions less provoking?. Does everything
contrarian have to be inflammatory in Canada?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

If you want to channelize your discontentment stream into a new domain area, there is traction in the mindwave that our methodologies could be synchronized.
I can do linear regression in Excel if that helps.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
I take it that you mean me?. Without any desire to be condescending, what would make me trustworthy, or my opinions less provoking?. Does everything
contrarian have to be inflammatory in Canada?
No, but inflammatory and misleading is far from ideal - your response to post #648 please.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bodgerx
No, but inflammatory and misleading is far from ideal - your response to post #648 please.
If you can show where I have been inflammatory and misleading I will apologise to the original poster. Again, as pointed out earlier, there is a growing body of independent and impartial CANADIAN research which, taken with today's OECD report, points to areas such as the GTA and Ontario, and some major cities in BC for example,being principal immigrant locations, paying for other areas which traditionally happen to be populated by long time Canadians. The benefits and security enjoyed by such long time Canadians are not to be anticipated by new Canadians, but new Canadians are expected to pay into the system without question. Fact is fact. What is it that you find offensive?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Until I am needed elsewhere; a bit like the littlest hobo.
There's a voice that keeps on calling me too
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
If you can show where I have been inflammatory and misleading I will apologise to the original poster. Again, as pointed out earlier, there is a growing body of independent and impartial CANADIAN research which, taken with today's OECD report, points to areas such as the GTA and Ontario, and some major cities in BC for example,being principal immigrant locations, paying for other areas which traditionally happen to be populated by long time Canadians. The benefits and security enjoyed by such long time Canadians are not to be anticipated by new Canadians, but new Canadians are expected to pay into the system without question. Fact is fact. What is it that you find offensive?
I didn't say I found it offensive, I said you were being misleading.

You said the report was about Canada as a whole, when clearly the report mentions only the Toronto area. The summary below does not mention your point at all about a immigrant-heavy area such as Toronto subsidising other areas of Canada. It actually states that immigrants should be utilised more. It does say that an area such as Toronto typically drives the economy, but I don't think it supports the point you are making (unless I have missed something).:

OECD’s new review of the Toronto region makes numerous recommendations to make the city more sustainably competitive:
Innovate - Toronto could boost innovation by encouraging greater collaboration between the region’s industries, small businesses and universities and strengthening links between firms. Governments could build on and expand laudable initiatives like the MaRS Discovery District in downtown Toronto, where technological start-ups in life sciences are assisted with work space and services, allowing for inter-linkages between sectors.
Employ skilled immigrants - To profit from the economic and employment opportunities offered by Toronto’s cultural diversity, initiatives such as bridging programmes and internships should be expanded. Reviewing the credentials of prospective immigrants before they arrive in Canada and a pan-Canadian framework for foreign qualification recognition would speed the employment process. To provide housing for new immigrants, regional agreements could define the share of low-cost housing to be included in new developments
Improve transport infrastructure - Financial incentives to use public transit instead of cars, such as congestion charges, high-occupancy toll (HOT) lanes, local fuel taxes and parking taxes could be considered, as could more revenue sources for Metrolinx, the regional transportation agency. The federal government should work with municipal governments on predictable, long-term, infrastructure funding and evaluation with a view to contributing to the competitiveness of the Toronto region and the country as a whole.
Green the region - Initiatives such as Toronto’s Mayor’s Tower Renewal project, which links social and environmental sustainability, should be expanded to include greening affordable housing and focussing on green jobs and industries. This would stimulate SMEs to develop alternative technologies and energy sources, allowing industry, transportation, etc to phase out carbon-based energy.
Improve co-ordination and communications across all levels of government – Ontario could intensify strategic planning for the Toronto region’s economic development, social integration and environmental sustainability. Existing networks of municipalities and non-governmental stakeholders could be further developed as part of a provincial urban policy agenda which would start with the Toronto region and extend to other cities. The Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario, announced in August 2009, will encourage federal involvement in fostering a sustainable competitiveness agenda for the Toronto region.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.