Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to move to Canada

Why do you want to move to Canada

Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why do you want to move to Canada

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
The O E C D has put out a report today, pointing specifically to Canada as a country that urges immigration, but does not provide opportunity for new immigrants. It may have been different for the few on here that are adamant about their own successes. But these are very different times, and Canadian society is far less welcoming than it was in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. The ex Brits who have been lucky enough to have established themselves here already (at least 20 years) are happy enough, no doubt. However, anyone in Britain currently thinking of leaving the UK for Canada should do themselves a favour and stay put. There is absolutely no point in giving up what you have in the UK for what is available in Canada.
And why would anyone trust or believe your advice?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Would anyone that wanted to immigrate to Canada really care anyway?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
The O E C D has put out a report today, pointing specifically to Canada as a country that urges immigration, but does not provide opportunity for new immigrants. It may have been different for the few on here that are adamant about their own successes. But these are very different times, and Canadian society is far less welcoming than it was in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. The ex Brits who have been lucky enough to have established themselves here already (at least 20 years) are happy enough, no doubt. However, anyone in Britain currently thinking of leaving the UK for Canada should do themselves a favour and stay put. There is absolutely no point in giving up what you have in the UK for what is available in Canada.
Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.oecd.org/document/36/0,33..._1_1_1,00.html

If so, the report concentrates on Toronto - so I think your comments are misleading to say the least. Canada is a big country, and although I'm sure there are plenty that move there, there are probably plenty of Brits charmed by BC, Alberta and Nova Scotia et al.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
have you changed hun? preferred you with a little more ying-yang
Back to normal now. See changing avatars thread...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Why pick on them, their anonymous opinion is just as valid as anyone elses anonymous opinion.

Just because someone does not agree with your view does not mean they are necessarily wrong, doesnt mean they are right either. Live and let live, everyone will make their own mind up for their own reasons anyway in the long run.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Why pick on them, their anonymous opinion is just as valid as anyone elses anonymous opinion.

Just because someone does not agree with your view does not mean they are necessarily wrong, doesnt mean they are right either. Live and let live, everyone will make their own mind up for their own reasons anyway in the long run.
The reason why I pick on this particular poster is that his/her opinions are condescending and assume that the reader is too ignorant to notice that Canada is bad place to live.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:29 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
but surely some helpful information such as this report will be useful when you do decide, or do you just want to hear success stories??
Report refs are absolutely fine about what is generally available in Canada, it is that I consider I am the one who knows what I have in the UK and whether I value that more or less than other things.

There is a difference between providing info and making statements about whether others must be better off or not.

Not just interested in success stories - would surely have left BE by now if that was the case.
Somedays, it seems it must be a big joke that anyone makes the move, the negatives on here seem so numerous.

Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:31 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Back to normal now. See changing avatars thread...
ok
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Is
If so, the report concentrates on Toronto - so I think your comments are misleading to say the least. Canada is a big country, and although I'm sure there are plenty that move there, there are probably plenty of Brits charmed by BC, Alberta and Nova Scotia et al.
Yep but its only the GTA that counts.....

the rest of Canada... a god forsaken wasteland thats either frozen or full of mosquitoes
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why I pick on this particular poster is that his/her opinions are condescending and assume that the reader is too ignorant to notice that Canada is bad place to live.
If its obvious to you, its probably obvious to others

I dont see the point in getting into personal conflict with posters over their opinions, its just makes this whole place seem less friendly and puts more people off posting their own experiences. If people post erroneous information as fact, then by all means correct the record, but its counterproductive to argue the toss over someone elses opinion, they are not going to change it.

Ultimately all it does it put other people off posting, which reduces the amount of info available for all to base their decisions on, which is not good.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Yep but its only the GTA that counts.....

the rest of Canada... a god forsaken wasteland thats either frozen or full of mosquitoes
Now why am I not surprised by that response.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
He's wrong of course. It's only lower mainland BC that counts, the rest is either frozen wasteland or full of mosquitoes.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
If its obvious to you, its probably obvious to others

I dont see the point in getting into personal conflict with posters over their opinions, its just makes this whole place seem less friendly and puts more people off posting their own experiences. If people post erroneous information as fact, then by all means correct the record, but its counterproductive to argue the toss over someone elses opinion, they are not going to change it.

Ultimately all it does it put other people off posting, which reduces the amount of info available for all to base their decisions on, which is not good.
Point taken.
Although it wasn't really a personal conflict - I have only responded a few times, and I haven't got personal. I still think my question is valid though; it seems that the poster is keen to warn off the prospective mover, so why not ask why we should trust this strong opinion?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Oh, it was a rhetorical question wasnt it...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
He's wrong of course. It's only lower mainland BC that counts, the rest is either frozen wasteland or full of mosquitoes.
Same response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.